Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:26 PM

17 posts, read 49,711 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family is moving to Hampton Roads in October. I will be assigned to Norfolk Naval Station. We are open to both buying and renting. We are originally from the west coast and the home prices are very appealing in VA! Our price limt is $220k buy or $1400 rent. We are previous homeowners and are experienced with the process. We have 4 young children ages 7, 4, 4 and 10 months. I know everyone will say Chesapeake, York County or VA Beach...etc The problem is what you get for the money. We are looking for a good mix of relative safety " we know no place is perfect", affordability, and future equity potential. I am not bothered by a 45min commute. Nor are we particularly bothered by "renaissance" areas such as Park Place, Broad Creek, South Norfolk etc...as long as the neighborhoods are truly turning around and there is a strengthening community feel. The rule we go by is if Starbucks puts a new store in the neighborhood then the place has a future...lol We also have an interest in Churchland, Western Branch or Northeast Suffolk. Any help from you all is VERY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Hi, I work with a lot of millitary folks. The norfolk communities you mention have some good points about them. You ask about them "turning around". They are being revitalised... how fast? well, things have slowed down a bit... so it may take a little longer. Investors are pulling back. I would say it will take a little longer these areas to finish the revitalization that was started during the busy years.

With your station being Norfolk, I would not recommend York county, just because of the commute being across the bridge / tunnel. That can get hairy. Norfolk has some nice areas and so does Suffolk.

Shelly

Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM

36 posts, read 110,830 times
I wouldn't commute through the tunnel either. Also, the only thing you would be able to buy in York County for under $220 would be a townhouse.

Rosalind

Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 120,982 times
I'd recommend Churchland or Western Branch. You'd have the most luck finding a home in that price range in those areas, and they're good places for families with kids.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,543 times
My husband is stationed in Norfolk, and we lived in Hampton for a while. He hated the tunnel and now, when he gets back from deployment and my daughter and I move back to Virginia, we will be looking for a place that is much closer to the base. It's not only bad through the tunnel but the traffic from 564 to any gate is sickening in the morning. My husband had to leave the apartment an hour before he had to be at work and we only lived by Langley AFB which is normally 20-30 minutes away.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:40 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekandrae View Post
Hello,

Our family is moving to Hampton Roads in October. I will be assigned to Norfolk Naval Station. We are open to both buying and renting. We are originally from the west coast and the home prices are very appealing in VA! Our price limt is $220k buy or $1400 rent. We are previous homeowners and are experienced with the process. We have 4 young children ages 7, 4, 4 and 10 months. I know everyone will say Chesapeake, York County or VA Beach...etc The problem is what you get for the money. We are looking for a good mix of relative safety " we know no place is perfect", affordability, and future equity potential. I am not bothered by a 45min commute. Nor are we particularly bothered by "renaissance" areas such as Park Place, Broad Creek, South Norfolk etc...as long as the neighborhoods are truly turning around and there is a strengthening community feel. The rule we go by is if Starbucks puts a new store in the neighborhood then the place has a future...lol We also have an interest in Churchland, Western Branch or Northeast Suffolk. Any help from you all is VERY appreciated.
OK I will say it anyway...Va Bch, Chesapeake or Suffolk.... York County will be hard to find anything in your price range.....$220K will not give you a whole lot of options but they are out there. Those renaissance neighborhoods that you speak of..please stay away from. Park Place has always been bad, its still bad today and will continue to be bad for many years to come. It still has one of the highest crime rates and the worst gang problem in the city. You will find that South Norfork rates right up there also as far as crime.
I would look at Suffolk, there is a lot of new constuction taking place and it does have the largest land base of any City in Virginia. The housing per square foot is still the cheapest of all of the cities so you will get more house for your money and long term housing gains should be in your favor. You can find the cluster home neighborhoods or find something more out in the "country". You would be looking at that 30-45 minute commute at least depending on where in Suffolk you relocate to and depending on daily traffic. No matter where you live in Hampton Roads your normal 20 minute drive to work can easily turn into a hour or two due to traffic

Last edited by rtandc; 09-28-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 132,967 times
You'll have a much wider selection renting than buying. Your rental price limit puts you in a decent category. Stay away from the bridge and tunnel drive if you can at all costs. Spent a few months doing the commute myself and all I can say is that an extra 2hrs a day on the road for a 20 mile drive stunk. I cant really give you ideas on the areas because I live on the other side of the bridge (hampton) but let me reiterate "stay away from the bridge and tunnel"...

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,189 times
I would recommend looking in Western Branch. Great location, near dowtown tunnel to Norfolk, near Portsmouth and such.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,639 times
Default looking

Hi, my family is also looking for housing in the area. We are being stationed at Ft. Monroe at the first of the year and are looking for a place. Only problem is we know nothing about the area. We have three small children so a nice neighborhood with a great elem. school is a must. We're looking to rent and have found a place on Wills Way in Hampton (Michaels Woods Sub). Do any of you know anything about the area?
I could really use the help.
Thanks so much

Old 10-06-2007, 11:00 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylea930 View Post
Hi, my family is also looking for housing in the area. We are being stationed at Ft. Monroe at the first of the year and are looking for a place. Only problem is we know nothing about the area. We have three small children so a nice neighborhood with a great elem. school is a must. We're looking to rent and have found a place on Wills Way in Hampton (Michaels Woods Sub). Do any of you know anything about the area?
I could really use the help.
Thanks so much
micheal's woods is argubably hampton's nicest subdivision. it is a very clean are. i have no idea about the elemantry school but it does feed into bethel HS which is Hampton's best HS, so it cant be that bad. I would highly recommend looking over in Southern York Co. Hampton's schools have a so-so reputation but York Co.'s schools are argubably the best in Hampton Roads. York. Co is great for kids, espically military kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area