U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 AM

57 posts, read 177,268 times

Advertisements

I have been trawling these boards for a while, and I have a job offer at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth. I have two children, ages 6 and 2 and will be coming from the Groton/New London, CT area to the Norfolk area. My family and I are planning a trip in early April and although we are very unfamiliar with the area, we have some ideas of what we want and some ideas about where to start looking. We are hoping for some direction and help so that we can make the best use of our time and find a home.

We plan on renting a house or apartment for a year or more to get more familiar with the area before we consider buying a home. We would prefer to rent a detached house, but are a little concerned that we will not be able to find something suitable in our budget range. A condo with a garage would be a second choice. My wife is a stay at home mom and we would like to keep it that way. Ideally, the place we rent would be in an area that we may consider buying in. Our budget is around $1200 to $1600 per month. If we eventually buy, we could probably afford up to $325K.

What we are looking for:

-Reasonable commute to NNSY (ideally 20 minutes or less?)
-Safe and friendly area that has lots of families with children
-Night life and dining are not a big priority
-good schools for the little ones
-a park in the neighborhood would be a plus

Places we are currently considering:

Chesapeake: Greenbrier, Great Bridge, Western Branch, Grassfield
Western parts of Virginia Beach (near Chesapeake or Norfolk border):
Northern end of Suffolk (what is the commute like from here?)
Norfolk: Ghent (how are the schools?)

If anyone has knowledge they can share, or experience moving from CT, we would be grateful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,494 times
bump

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 AM

177 posts, read 612,555 times
I can tell you that the Western Branch area of Chesapeake and Northern end of Suffolk are right next to each other (but the WB schools are better). I worked there for a while and my commute from Western Branch was 20 mins tops. Could drive through Ptown (a bit longer w/stop lights) or hit 264 to Effingham St.

If you consider Norfolk, you will most likely have to add tolls to your commuting costs (maybe even western parts of Chesapeake and Greenbrier/Grassfield/Great Bridge?...you could take the high rise bridge (I-64) to Portsmouth, but I don't think it would be in 20 mins or less? Someone out that way can clarify.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:07 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,594,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2Raleigh View Post
I have been trawling these boards for a while, and I have a job offer at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth. I have two children, ages 6 and 2 and will be coming from the Groton/New London, CT area to the Norfolk area. My family and I are planning a trip in early April and although we are very unfamiliar with the area, we have some ideas of what we want and some ideas about where to start looking. We are hoping for some direction and help so that we can make the best use of our time and find a home.

We plan on renting a house or apartment for a year or more to get more familiar with the area before we consider buying a home. We would prefer to rent a detached house, but are a little concerned that we will not be able to find something suitable in our budget range. A condo with a garage would be a second choice. My wife is a stay at home mom and we would like to keep it that way. Ideally, the place we rent would be in an area that we may consider buying in. Our budget is around $1200 to $1600 per month. If we eventually buy, we could probably afford up to $325K.

What we are looking for:

-Reasonable commute to NNSY (ideally 20 minutes or less?)
-Safe and friendly area that has lots of families with children
-Night life and dining are not a big priority
-good schools for the little ones
-a park in the neighborhood would be a plus

Places we are currently considering:

Chesapeake: Greenbrier, Great Bridge, Western Branch, Grassfield
Western parts of Virginia Beach (near Chesapeake or Norfolk border):
Northern end of Suffolk (what is the commute like from here?)
Norfolk: Ghent (how are the schools?)

If anyone has knowledge they can share, or experience moving from CT, we would be grateful.
I've traveled from Chesapeake to the yard...20 mins, but depending what time you go. If you are working day shift there, I'd hit the road about 6:30a.m. It's pretty quiet in the Greenbrier/Battlefield area at that time.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 AM

179 posts, read 448,873 times
I live in the Grassfield area of Chesapeake and during rush hour you are looking at 30 min easy. If you go earlier or off hours 20 min no problem. This is a great area for schools and it is very family friendly.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM

57 posts, read 177,268 times
Is it reasonable to take Geo Washington highway from Grassfield or great bridge areas?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,594,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2Raleigh View Post
Is it reasonable to take Geo Washington highway from Grassfield or great bridge areas?
Yes, it will take you right to the main gate, parking and the pass office. That's the way I usually take from Chesapeake. I'd go right down Military Hwy to Geo. Washington.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 AM

179 posts, read 448,873 times
Yes you can! There will be a bit of a slow down at the start of Geo. Washington, it is just very narrow and there is a small bridge. But once you get past that it is a straight shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area