Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,170 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My Fiancee and I will be moving to Norfolk area in less than a month. We are 25-30 years old couple, (Asians). I will be working for the Navy at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and she will be looking for work as a Nails technician.

I would like recommendations as to where to rent, with the maximum rent around $1300. No pets, no children. I looked into Cheasapeake/ Virginia beach areas but worry about the traffics, as I've heard the tunnels are dreadful.

I also would like to take some classes at ODU as well.

Thank you in advance for your help.

CKP

Last edited by 18May2012; 06-29-2013 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Add ODU info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
I'll put it like this...If you live in Cheasapeake or Portsmouth you may regret it. If you move to the Ghent area (21st and Colley Ave in Norfolk for a point of reference) you'll be in the middle of the all the action. There's a lot to do in that area and you'll stand the best chance to build a large social circle quickly compared to other areas.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
As JagMan mentioned, you'll probably regret living on the same side as the shipyard. There isn't much on that side, but it really depends on what you value most. If you want to avoid traffic, then live in the Old Towne part of Portsmouth. However, if you plan on taking classes at ODU, you'll still have to go through one of the tunnels. If you don't mind traffic as much, then live in Ghent, which is easily the best location for young professionals in HR. Be prepared for high rent and loads of traffic going through the Midtown or Downtown tunnel though.

If you live in Ghent, don't get a ground-floor apartment and make sure you check the area out before signing a lease. With that area of Norfolk, you can easily step into a "bad" part by just going 1 block down.

As far as your fiancee, there are nail salons everywhere. This entire area is a haven for strip malls, and I imagine most have at least 1 nail salon.

By the way, it is called Norfolk Naval Shipyard, even though it's located in Portsmouth. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard is somewhere up in Maine. I know, it's confusing.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM

154 posts, read 388,343 times
Traffic won't be too bad from Ghent, 95% of the people are coming into Norfolk for work, not leaving Norfolk. I know this because I go through the Midtown every day, towards Portsmouth.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 PM

120 posts, read 210,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Traffic won't be too bad from Ghent, 95% of the people are coming into Norfolk for work, not leaving Norfolk. I know this because I go through the Midtown every day, towards Portsmouth.
I can't comment on morning traffic for the Midtown going to P-town from Norfolk, but I know it can get bad in the afternoon. I've gone to Norfolk plenty of times from Portsmouth through the Midtown in the afternoon and it hasn't been a pleasant experience overall.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Thank you everyone for the response. I like Ghent, however, my Fiancee seems to like an apartment in Bleecher Street in Virginia Beach mainly because of the amenities. I guess I need to drive around in both areas to find which ones is best. I usually wake up a little earlier, so hopefully morning traffic won't be as bad.

I actually didn't know the name of the shipyard. That's good to know. Thank you again.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM

396 posts, read 1,104,973 times
If the commute from Ghent or Va Beach looks longer, and you want an easier commute to the shipyard, you might want to look at the Old Town section of Portsmouth, as well as areas of Chesapeake or even North Suffolk--like the Western Branch area of Chesapeake or the Harbourview area of Suffolk where there might be some newer construction.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18May2012 View Post
Thank you everyone for the response. I like Ghent, however, my Fiancee seems to like an apartment in Bleecher Street in Virginia Beach mainly because of the amenities. I guess I need to drive around in both areas to find which ones is best. I usually wake up a little earlier, so hopefully morning traffic won't be as bad.

I actually didn't know the name of the shipyard. That's good to know. Thank you again.
It's BleecKer St and Greenwich Village Apt. If your fiancee is referring to amenities in regards to the apartments, those amenities can be found in an apartment complex's in any town in Hampton Roads. If your fiancee is referring to the local area, here's the run down. You're one mile from the area called town center which is a fun area on occasion...It has lots of expensive restaurants and/or chain restaurants. If night life is important to you, there's only one place that's any good and that's Keagans. Of all the places in Va Beach, town center, due to only having one major nightlife hang out will get old quick. Of the dozen restaurants there, a happy hour can be fun but again most place die down significantly after dinner. A mile is a very long walk requiring you to cross very busy streets, finding a free parking space can be a challenge but they're paid garages. I'll put it like this, come visit the area, go to Keagan's talk to locals and ask them where would they rather live, near town center or ghent, most if not all will answer ghent.

We're all just faceless people on an internet forum so I strongly advise you do the following prior to looking at any apartments. Stay in a hotel for a night or two in Ghent, then in Town Center and lastly by the Oceanfront. Do the activities you like to do, such as go running in the morning, gym in the afternoon, hit up a happy hour or the nightlife. Talk to locals to get their opinions of things that are important to you. Check out multiple apartments or rentals before signing a lease and be aware that leasing agents will be very high pressure. My opinion is that it Ghent would still be the best area since it has the most to do and ODU is right there.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM

I also believe Ghent would be a better location for me, but this is only based on pictures and talking to coworkers (many do not actually live in Ghent). I do enjoy night life, however, I prefer coffee shops/restaurants over clubs/bars since I rarely drink alcohol. I really like the idea of being able to walk to local shops and trying out different things (in Ghent). ODU being so close is also a huge plus. After I buy myself a car (just came back from my deployment today), I will drive around the areas both day and night time to check the places out.

CKP

Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18may2012 View Post
good morning,

my fiancee and i will be moving to norfolk area in less than a month. We are 25-30 years old couple, (asians). I will be working for the navy at portsmouth naval shipyard and she will be looking for work as a nails technician.

I would like recommendations as to where to rent, with the maximum rent around $1300. No pets, no children. I looked into cheasapeake/ virginia beach areas but worry about the traffics, as i've heard the tunnels are dreadful.

I also would like to take some classes at odu as well.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ckp
check out my rental at craigslist # 4565921000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area