U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 PM

3,849 posts, read 8,353,204 times

Advertisements

I was up in NYC this weekend and gas prices were $3.60ish. What the heck is up with pathetic, pitiful HR having gas prices at almost $4?! Compared to NYC we're poor, pathetic paupers! Why so expensive??

And I have to add, it gave me a chuckle that almost every single car that REFUSED to ride in the right and only pass on the left was from VA or NC. I don't understand the sense of entitlement. The left is for PASSING.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 AM

8,578 posts, read 6,363,954 times
Maybe their state government planned better?
Or maybe they're making better use of their state fuel taxes?

As for that left lane for passing only, it happens a lot - not just here. I visit the Texas forums every day and there are frequently new threads about that same mentality while driving. From personal knowledge, I can also tell you that in certain parts of Texas, there are actually signs along the interstate reminding drivers that the left lane is for passing only. Sad that drivers have to be reminded to use common sense.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,448,008 times
Funny I was in NYC last weekend also and gas prices were very high in the city, are you sure you were not looking at prices in NJ?

Here is a nationwide map to give you a outline of gas prices for the week

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

You can zoom in the map to locate single gas stations...................

Last edited by rtandc; 04-10-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM

404 posts, read 1,054,035 times
Be grateful, in NoVA gas is $4.20

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,539,904 times
got gas for 3.84 on Sunday

Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 58,698 times
Gas prices in Portland, OR are almost $4.00 gallon and holding steady. I wonder if it will reach $5.00 by July 4th. I worry about that because, IMHO, fuel prices acted as the the pin that popped the housing bubble in 2008.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,347,682 times
Hey Mods, make this a sticky. That way if anyone ever wants to know what an "internet troll" is, we have something to refer them to. Haha

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,390,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I was up in NYC this weekend and gas prices were $3.60ish. What the heck is up with pathetic, pitiful HR having gas prices at almost $4?! Compared to NYC we're poor, pathetic paupers! Why so expensive??

And I have to add, it gave me a chuckle that almost every single car that REFUSED to ride in the right and only pass on the left was from VA or NC. I don't understand the sense of entitlement. The left is for PASSING.

Ive been to NYC twice driving, and you dont really see Virginia plates until into Maryland/Delaware (or outside Maryland/Delaware, depending on the direction), and at that point, there are so many of them that the odds are high that any driving behavior being exhibited would have a VA or NC plate.

I would question any assertion that stated that there was enough sample size of VA or NC plates in New Jersey or New York to make the conclusion of this driving behavior being a symptom of VA or NC drivers.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:08 PM

3,849 posts, read 8,353,204 times
rt, I know where I am when I travel! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Hey Mods, make this a sticky. That way if anyone ever wants to know what an "internet troll" is, we have something to refer them to. Haha
How are they going to get your post to the top of this thread?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,347,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
How are they going to get your post to the top of this thread?
They don't need to, your first post which is obviously made up as a way to rile up the locals will do fine. Who are we to believe, some random person who starts their thread by calling the locale "pathetic and pitiful" then pulls some number out of their ass or a website that documents the gas prices in a given area and states that the cheapest gas in NYC is $3.95 and the cheapest gas in HR is $3.74?

New York City Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in New York

Judging from that data, either NYC just miraculously raised gas prices 30 -75 cents a gallon while HR dropped theirs about 25 cents, your post is made up, or you were reading the prices that are quoted if you also purchase a car wash (which can be confusing sometimes I will admit). Since you are the self proclaimed "voice of reason", I am assuming that you are pretty observant and wouldn't make the carwash oversight. I would personally notice if gas prices just dropped 30 cents a gallon around here so that isn't the case. Therefore it makes sense that you are trolling per the definition of an internet troll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response...
It just seems like the most logical explanation, but I certainly could be wrong. I guess I should have given you the benefit of the doubt.

And to answer your original question, gas prices have more to do with taxes and proximity to refineries than they do with the incomes of the residents in an area. So the relative "pitifulness" of our area and our status as "pathetic paupers" really isn't relevant.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...gas-price1.htm

Last edited by UHgrad; 04-12-2012 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area