U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM

11 posts, read 27,519 times

Advertisements

I had my heart set on living in VA Beach, but my bad credit because of divorce, of course dictates the renters that are willing to work with me.

Though there is an apartment in VA Beach, they want me to move in way before I will have the money to move in, so I will probably lose that opportunity unless they let me make a payment to hold the unit.

There is a rental agent that contacted me from Hampton Roads. Move in is going to be cheaper than the VA Beach apt., and she is willing to wait. Like I think I can have the place if I want it. It looks like a really nice gated community, next to shopping, just what I am looking for, I am just wondering if the area of Hampton is fun for living. I also have a child, so I want a nice suburban area with regular community activities. I am also looking for a good church as well.

Also, I am kind of sad that Hampton Roads is not closer to the beach, but maybe that is a good thing because a lot of people seem to say the beach is touristy and I guess that gets old to locals? Right now it seems great to me, moving from a city, and also my child LOVES the water. But maybe after 2 or 3 years I will tire of being so close to the beach? The place is about 40 minutes from the beach at VA Beach.

I am hoping that locals will please chime in about their opinions of living in Hampton.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:51 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,350,684 times
There is a reason why Hampton is cheaper and is willing to work with you, its because it is the worst city in the area, and the only one that is actually losing residents. The schools are crap, and the area largely looks like a dump. Of all the cities in Hampton Roads, I would say that Hampton is the only one with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I also want to clear up something since there seems to be some confusion in your post, Hampton Roads is the name of the whole region, which is Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth and Suffolk. Its also know as "the 7 cities".

Hampton is a city within Hampton Roads. Hampton also has beaches, a very popular one is Buckroe Beach.

The water in the area, especially up there, is disgusting, and you can look forward to the beaches being closed down in certain spots multiple times a year from contamination. Ive liived here most of my life and havent been in the water in over 20 years.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,411,617 times
Allot will be based on where you will be working. That plays a big part for people living in Hampton Roads. You will want to try and work in the city you live in or at least "on the same side of the water" as you will hear many locals say. Traffic is pretty bad for the size of the population that Hampton Roads has and dealing with any of the local tunnels can be a royal pain. Depending on the age of your child the school district can also play a big part on what city to decide to move to.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM

My little one is not school aged yet, when that time comes, I am planning on a Christian school, so I might be looking at a school commute, so this is fine since I run my business from home and do not have to commute to work. However, the other stuff you guys are saying about the water being dirty and the area just being bad, makes me sad. I would have really liked to say yes to this place. It would have really made my life so much easier right now. I looked on Google maps and it is like a few minutes away from shopping. Sucks.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 8,306,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
There is a reason why Hampton is cheaper and is willing to work with you, its because it is the worst city in the area
That's not true. I'd take the Peninsula over VA Beach any day. VA Beach is a nasty, giant suburb. Very little of VA Beach is actually at "the beach." VA Beach is the poster child of suburban sprawl and waste. I'd never live there.

That's not to say Hampton is wonderful. Much of it has problems. With that being said, I think you need to explore more of Hampton Roads before making a decision as to what area you'll live in. I don't think you have a grasp as to what each city in the area has to offer.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Well financially, my only options are Hampton, (more of a realistic possibility since the owner seems to actually be willing to wait for me until the end of the month) and VA Beach which I might not be able to afford when the apartment is ready a week from now.)

Time is kind of an issue right now because I am trying to get out of a very unpleasant living situation, so I need to move May 1st if possible and the second week in May at the latest just to get away from the negativity around me. So if I cannot get the money together for VA Beach, Hampton is still there, and I can still have time to look for another property somewhere else, but not a lot of time at all since it is already the 11th of April.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,333,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep7 View Post
Well financially, my only options are Hampton, (more of a realistic possibility since the owner seems to actually be willing to wait for me until the end of the month) and VA Beach which I might not be able to afford when the apartment is ready a week from now.)

Time is kind of an issue right now because I am trying to get out of a very unpleasant living situation, so I need to move May 1st if possible and the second week in May at the latest just to get away from the negativity around me. So if I cannot get the money together for VA Beach, Hampton is still there, and I can still have time to look for another property somewhere else, but not a lot of time at all since it is already the 11th of April.
Maybe you can clarify some things so folks can help you better.

Why are your only options Hampton and Virginia Beach? Is that just the two places that you have found rentals in your price range that are willing to work with you or is there some other limiting factor? Hampton is one of the cheapest cities to live in and Virginia Beach is probably the most expensive so it doesn't really make sense that you are financially limited to those two.

When you say beach do you mean the oceanfront? There are beaches in Hampton like Buckroe, Fort Monroe, or Grand View on the river/bay, there are beaches in Virginia Beach and Norfolk that are along the bay like Ocean View and Chicks Beach, and there are beaches along the ocean like Croatan, the North End, and Sandbridge that are not associated with the touristy area that locals call "the strip".

As far as Hampton goes, there are a few nice areas but all of them are pretty close to some sketchy areas. I know people that live near Peninsula Town Center, Kecoughton, and Phoebus in Hampton. They all want to move to the Virginia Beach or Ghent but don't want to drive over the tunnel every day so they "tolerate" living in Hampton but none of them seem overly thrilled about it. If commute is not an issue for, you are set on Hampton Roads, and you are looking for nice suburban areas that are safe, family friendly, and have good churches then I would recommend Virginia Beach, York County, or Chesapeake to be honest.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,350,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
That's not true. I'd take the Peninsula over VA Beach any day. VA Beach is a nasty, giant suburb. Very little of VA Beach is actually at "the beach." VA Beach is the poster child of suburban sprawl and waste. I'd never live there.
Yet Virginia Beach has by far the best schools in the region......and go ahead, take a drive down Warwick from Hampton, or Jefferson.....Reminds me of Norfolk going down Monticello to Granby or Church Street. Then check out any of the neighborhoods off to the right until Main Street. Ive never seen so many boarded up houses and decay in my life. Alternatively, you can go cruising anywhere near Hampton University and Buckroe beach up to to the Fox Hill Road area, and see the exact same thing.

You wont find that anywhere in Virginia Beach outside of Virginia Beach Blvd from First Colonial to Birdneck.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM

5,926 posts, read 8,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Yet Virginia Beach has by far the best schools in the region......and go ahead, take a drive down Warwick from Hampton, or Jefferson.....Reminds me of Norfolk going down Monticello to Granby or Church Street. Then check out any of the neighborhoods off to the right until Main Street. Ive never seen so many boarded up houses and decay in my life. Alternatively, you can go cruising anywhere near Hampton University and Buckroe beach up to to the Fox Hill Road area, and see the exact same thing.

You wont find that anywhere in Virginia Beach outside of Virginia Beach Blvd from First Colonial to Birdneck.
Yeah but Warwick and Jefferson are in Newport News not Hampton. The Fox Hill area of Hampton is actually quite nice.

What about Chesapeake?

You won't be getting to "the strip" in 40 minutes from Hampton.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,411,617 times
Meep7, out of the seven cities that make up Hampton Roads you will find posters that like all seven cities but if given a poll I think you woud find that Virginia Beach would rank as the number one city in the area due to its low crime, lower taxes and higher rated school system.

Now my question to you is why Hampton Roads to begin with?...I have looked at some of your prior postings and it appears you are open to a number of areas across the country. It appears you are looking for what everone else is looking for as far as a safe, low cost area to raise your child.
I am not sure any city in Hampton Roads fits that model as Hampton Roads is known for its higher cost of living.

What has stood out to you about Hampton Roads that you feel you can not find elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or