U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM

8,874 posts, read 11,348,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I don't know if they are or are not. I know there are weeds all in them by Town Center, but I'm not a rail condition expert.

I know the number for VA Beach light rail came out to be $800M a few months ago.

Would it cost that much to refurbish tracks? Like I said, I don't know. Doesn't seem like it would, though.

Obviously nobody likes to transfer, but if they coordinate the schedules to make it as painless as possible it's at least IMO a good way to get things up and running.

depending on frequency of service, that kind of coordination can be a major operational head ache (beside the deterrence to ridership) plus now youve got to have a maintenance shop for the diesels as well as the lrt cars, and a seperate body of operating employees (cause the skills arent quite the same) Plus I think you may be underestimating the operating challenges of operating on one track with sidings - Baltimore did that at first with their light rail, and IIUC it introduced delays, etc. Note, your operating concept relies on good coordination at the transfer point, so you can afford delays related to single track operation LESS than Baltimore Light Rail was able.

I suspect you are just as well off running a bus instead (is that what they are doing now?)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:24 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,469,475 times
The blank check part is just that.... A unknown...
The mayor has wanted light rail even before he was mayor.... But for ten years it was taken off the table because of the vote by the people not to build it....

Now all of the sudden it's a rush deal wanting the people to vote yes or no just months before the study is released.... See anything fishy about that?

Again if the mayor gets a yes vote he is going to build light rail.....period no ands or buts about it...

I have no problem with light rail but I would like to know as much as I can about it before I decide on paying for it..... Kind of like if I'm going to buy a car I want to test drive it and learn as much about it as I can first before putting down my hard earned money...... The mayor is trying to sell me a car sight unseen...

There are several plans for light rail on the table, one running to the ocean front, one just running to town center.... There are plans for some intersections to be built on raised platforms, other plans that don't have any raised platforms at all.... Where are the stations going to be... How much property will have to be bought or taken from private owners etc.....

These are all things that should be finalized and included in the study to get a true figure of what the cost will be for the citizens before any vote is taken......a vote know is just a popular vote and does not offer the people the true cost they will have to absorb the rest of their life living in Va beach

Last edited by rtandc; 04-13-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,385,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
depending on frequency of service, that kind of coordination can be a major operational head ache (beside the deterrence to ridership) plus now youve got to have a maintenance shop for the diesels as well as the lrt cars, and a seperate body of operating employees (cause the skills arent quite the same) Plus I think you may be underestimating the operating challenges of operating on one track with sidings - Baltimore did that at first with their light rail, and IIUC it introduced delays, etc. Note, your operating concept relies on good coordination at the transfer point, so you can afford delays related to single track operation LESS than Baltimore Light Rail was able.

I suspect you are just as well off running a bus instead (is that what they are doing now?)
Right, but are we too dumb around here to do better? I would hope HRT could figure it out!

Even if we extend the light rail there will still most likely be more trains added, thus more operators. No matter how you slice it there will be more employees.

I'd like them to at least explore the option of using what we already have. To just rip everything up with no plan in place (like Portsmouth is doing) is ludicrous.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,987,946 times
Stopping traffic at Rosemont and Lynnhaven for the light rail is an accident waiting to happen. Especially during rush hour.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think 800 million is worth the return.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Stopping traffic at Rosemont and Lynnhaven for the light rail is an accident waiting to happen. Especially during rush hour.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think 800 million is worth the return.
Trains roll through intersections across HR every day without issue.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM

5,952 posts, read 8,987,946 times
Quote:
Trains roll through intersections across HR every day without issue.
This is true, but those intersections are notorious for rush hour traffic. They are an accident waiting to happen without trains. Heck it seems like 99% of the time VA Beach Blvd is blocked by turning traffic who didn't wait for the traffic in front of them to go before entering the intersection.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
This is true, but those intersections are notorious for rush hour traffic. They are an accident waiting to happen without trains. Heck it seems like 99% of the time VA Beach Blvd is blocked by turning traffic who didn't wait for the traffic in front of them to go before entering the intersection.
Well, I suggest big signs then!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,524,543 times
Quote:
I don't know if they are or are not. I know there are weeds all in them by Town Center, but I'm not a rail condition expert.

I know the number for VA Beach light rail came out to be $800M a few months ago.

Would it cost that much to refurbish tracks? Like I said, I don't know. Doesn't seem like it would, though.

Obviously nobody likes to transfer, but if they coordinate the schedules to make it as painless as possible it's at least IMO a good way to get things up and running.
You can't refurbish tracks , so they have to be replaced....theres also a FRA requirement of 100 Million in insurance...which needs to go in my opinion. The Extension as Ive seen in documents has the line going up US 50 once in VB which could be costly...

Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 AM

94 posts, read 360,074 times
I don't even understand why we are discussing this; if I can't afford a Ferrari why should I even bother to test drive one? The same goes for the City of VA Beach, we can't even afford this...

Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can't refurbish tracks , so they have to be replaced....theres also a FRA requirement of 100 Million in insurance...which needs to go in my opinion. The Extension as Ive seen in documents has the line going up US 50 once in VB which could be costly...
Oh? I've seen articles before talking about railway refurbishment. I suppose it's possible they were simply talking about ripping out and replacing, but I don't recall any of them saying that directly.

Regardless, I think the existing tracks need to be looked into before ripping them out, especially in Portsmouth. Those tracks were used up until last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area