Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,804 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to the Virginia Beach area. My first goal was Virginia Beach, but now I'm a little concerned about hurricane and weather issues for the long term. I'd hate to get all cozy and settled in only to have to worry about weather things every year, so now I'm looking at Chesapeake and Norfolk because they are a comfortable driving distance from beaches and somewhat inland.

However, I am so overwhelmed with apartment reviews. It's like I find a place that sounds good, and then read the reviews, and I'm lost again. I know some of the reviews, both positive and negative are faked, but I just need some recommendations.

Major things I am looking for:

suburban or suburban-like
safe
small pet friendly
clean well-kept
minimal maintenance issues
responsive maintenance staff
no pest problems (mice, roaches, flying roaches, ants, anything miserable)
close to shopping (within like 15 minutes) Target, Walmart, Dollar Tree that type of thing
reasonable rent (600 - 900 for 2 bedrooms)
quiet
no crime and violence (car break ins, brawls, etc.)
w2w carpet
balcony
heat and air
walk in closets

It probably sounds like the list everyone is looking for, lol, I know, maybe I'm wishing on a star.

Please tell me if you know of a complex that does offer these things. The online reviews just have me going in circles and never settling on a place. I was planning to submit an application for at least 3, but I don't have even one that does not have me going back and forth between reading positive and negative reviews.

I will be willing to get my own portable washer and dryer so that is not major thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
That rent and no crime. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM

hmm okay. just tell me what places are good. I might be willing to go higher on the rent. I just need some good information please, and you can just tell me what the average rent is if it is above 900.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM

150 posts, read 577,556 times
You should try Williamsburg. Very minimal crime at my apartment complex. I pay $850 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment. It's close to everything, and should meet all your requirements other then being in Va Beach.

Let me know if you want the location.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,284 times
I think in Chesapeake you will be able to find a 2bedroom for $900ish. Chesapeake is suburban/farm land. It's pretty safe there, the only complaint would be that it's boring. You have your run of the mill big box stores like Wal Mart, Target, Bed Bath Beyond, Ross, and the normal chain restaurants. If you're not looking for great dining, nightlife, and entertainment, Chesapeake is a great option.

It's funny you mention Dollar Tree. Their corporate headquarters is in Chesapeake. The Dollar Tree in Chesapeake has really great stuff.

Norfolk is ehhhh a little ghetto in some areas. There are nice urban areas like Ghent which will cost more than $900.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM

Default Thank you

Yes, poloi3eai2, I was thinking Chesapeake, I just don't know what complex to go with. There are so many contradictory reviews online for most of them. I was hoping to get some personal experience with a good apartment complex on here. As far as socializing, we are probably just going to head to VA Beach or Norfolk, making Chesapeake a good location only a little ways from both places, like a suburb.

PChildres, Williamsburg does have great prices I've noticed online, you're right, but it is so far from everything, over an hour from the beach and Norfolk that it might be totally against my reasons from moving to the area, unless Williamsburg is a really cool place to live like with great culture and everything on top of safety and nice homes at great prices. Then there would be stuff to do in town, and the beach and other things could be weekend ventures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area