Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
Was reading about Croatan beach, sounds like it might be a good spot for us, what do you guys think?
Unless you get there very early, and I mean very early you wil not find a place to park at Croatan, it is more of a private neighborhood beach front......The strip (va bch) will also be very crowded and expect to pay holiday prices for parking, if you can find a spot....By the afternoon when you state you plan to arrive, many people are forced to park many, many blocks away from the beach....But no place in Hampton Roads is going to be easy to get to on a holiday weekend at that time of the day.....You want to go to the beach around here you learn real fast to go as early as you can in the morning...

On a side note, you could not pay me enough money to try and cross the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel on a Sunday, especially on a Holiday weekend....You could very easy sit in just tunnel traffic for an hour or two, both ways....Maybe the water park in Williamsburg is the best idea offered yet....You could always plan another beach vacation when you can stay on the Southside...Trying to cross the bridge tunnel is going to be your major concern

Last edited by rtandc; 05-08-2012 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM

144 posts, read 419,426 times
Just my $0.22. Whenever I've gone on a weekday to VB, we've had enough people in the car to take HOV which bypasses the VB highways stretch of traffic. Newport News also has a HOV stretch. The traffic getting to the tunnel is the worse part of the drive but, the tunnel itself moves along unless there is an accident.

Whoever said that the river beaches do not have waves is correct! Good for your 8y/o but the 12y/o may want some wave action (boogie boards). My vote goes to Yorktown Beach. It looks very nice!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 AM

930 posts, read 717,577 times
Thanks for all the info guys & for the pics caladium. Are there any good spots before I get to the bridge or do we have to cross it to get to all the good beaches? We will be there for the whole week so we plan on going the thursday or friday after memorial day too, maybe by then, we'll have figured out the best spot.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM

If you want to go to an "ocean beach" you will have to go to the strip (Atlantic Ave) or Sandbridge in Virginia beach. The other beaches listed in this thread like Jamestown, Chicks and Buckroe are either on the Chesapeake Bay or James river etc.....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM

94 posts, read 388,804 times
Buckroe will probably be most like an "ocean" beach without crossing the bridge. If there is a little wind you might even be able to boogie board there.

But hey if you have driven this far just check the tunnel traffic on VA511 and choose either the HRBT or MMBT and go to a real beach if thats what you really want. But it still will be at least 1-2 hour drive from Williamsburg. The bay beaches will be warmer too, the ocean is only in the low 60s water temp right now.

My experience is that VA Beach is busy but usually not super crazy on Memorial Day weekend. Unless its 80+ degrees and sunny. 4th July is much much worse. Sandbridge is my favorite beach too but don't let people fool you that place gets more and more crowded every year and the Little Island Parking lot can fill up too.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Unless you get there very early, and I mean very early you wil not find a place to park at Croatan, it is more of a private neighborhood beach front......The strip (va bch) will also be very crowded and expect to pay holiday prices for parking, if you can find a spot....By the afternoon when you state you plan to arrive, many people are forced to park many, many blocks away from the beach....But no place in Hampton Roads is going to be easy to get to on a holiday weekend at that time of the day.....You want to go to the beach around here you learn real fast to go as early as you can in the morning...

On a side note, you could not pay me enough money to try and cross the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel on a Sunday, especially on a Holiday weekend....You could very easy sit in just tunnel traffic for an hour or two, both ways....Maybe the water park in Williamsburg is the best idea offered yet....You could always plan another beach vacation when you can stay on the Southside...Trying to cross the bridge tunnel is going to be your major concern
That is all true but you could go to the south end of Croatan, to the public beach. There you will find a paid parking lot, and restrooms. On a busy day like the holiday, street parking will be a nightmare to find and you don't want to risk a ticket so...go to the public beaches either at Camp Pendelton (Southern part of Croatan), public beach at Sandbridge, or if you want to fight parking .... go way up the strip to the area near First Landing/Fort Story.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM

930 posts, read 717,577 times
How much is parking usually at sandbridge?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
How much is parking usually at sandbridge?
Parking is very cheap, only like 5 bucks for the day, but if your not there early you wont find a spot

Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,457 times
Be warned .. if you head down to the Oceanfront here in VB, stay away from the lots that don't have signs showing their rates. One holiday weekend, I mistakenly parked in a lot with no sign, and got an ugly surprise that parking was $20! To me, that's too much.

Here's a link to an interactive parking map for the Oceanfront area.
Virginia Beach Parking Map

Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,144 times
My favorite beaches are Chick's Beach and Ocean View for low-key vibes on the Bay, and the North End for ocean action. Here's some screen caps to show you where they are:

Chick's Beach:
You can see the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel in the top left corner for reference...

Here's zoomed in a bit. Chick's Beach runs along Shore Drive and is basically split in half by the Lynnhaven Inlet:

Ocean View:
Not far from Chick's Beach at all, and almost always has less people:

Zoomed in:

North End:
The blue pin is the North End, red is the Oceanfront (tourist area):

Zoomed in:

Hope this helps some. All the beaches that people have said are nice, and don't let tunnel traffic scare you. It's not the end of the world, and worth dealing with for some family fun in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area