U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 28,324,185 times

Advertisements

Hopefully someone who knows more about apartments will chime in. I'm sure you could get some nice rentals in Wburg with washers and dryers, but it could be a matter of budget. The less expensive apartments are going to be very simple--deluxe complexes will cost more $$$. So maybe forget the idea of a complex. I would look for a garage apartment in someone's house--you might find one with WD or with privileges of some sort. But that's jus a guess--I haven't looked for rentals myself and so don't know.

You bring up an interesting question for me. I didn't see any laundromats when I visited--are there any? I'm sure there are some but the fact that I didn't see them front and center makes me presume most people have a way of doing their laundry at home.

The answer might be another town. If you don't want to be around military families, then Norfolk, Yorktown, and VB are out. (For that matter, Wburg has a fair share of military folk, too.) Do you have anything against smaller towns? Because I just have this feeling you'd like Gloucester Courthouse. It's less expensive than Wburg, which means you could look for a more deluxe place.

Thinking way outside the box, have you considered Hot Springs, AR or Pittsburgh. Those are both very affordable areas, so these are two other places that are a little more urban where you might be able to get a deluxe place within your budget.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM

4,895 posts, read 7,696,646 times
My budget is $1100, don't want to go higher than that because one of the reasons I want to move from SoCal is to save on COL (mainly housing costs) so it's not like I'm looking for a $700 apt. Garage apts not for me....I'd love to rent a condo/townhouse but don't know where to look to see what's around in my price range. Mr. W, any suggestions on websites? This area seemed to fit all my wants for a 4 season area but not brutal winters, things to do, shopping, restaurants, retiree friendly,lots of trees, some water, etc.

I actually have researched alot of places all over the US, including Pittsburgh but I don't think I could handle the winters in old age. The 'burgh is a very hilly place and could be quite prohibitive as one ages. I realize my situation is somewhat unique but I'll plugging away at it until I find the right place for me.

I'll definitely check into Gloucester...

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

I hear ya about those rust belt cities. They're great to retire in if you've lived there all your life, but moving there from a warmer place like CA would be rough, IMO. I sure hope Mr. Williamsburg (or someone else) can help you. If VA doesn't work out, take a look at renting a place in Hot Springs Village, AR. I'm serious--people joke about Arkansas but this place is really nice and it's in a lovely part of the state. It's not the right place for me but I have friends there who love it.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM

I've just realized I should put my beach photos and comments in this thread too. Yes, I know I already posted these but it makes it easier to find them in the future (plus easier for future people looking for info on Williamsburg if everything is in one thread.)

Beaches

The ocean beaches are about an hour away. In the immediate area, there are small river beaches. No waves, but you can smell the salt air and walk in the sand. The sand is not the smoothest sand (like in FL) but isn't bad. My favorites were little stretches of beach along the Colonial Parkway (the section between Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown). Jamestown Beach also seemed nice for kids, plus you could then take the ferry ride for free (which is sort of fun).

Jamestown Beach

A stretch of beach along Colonial Parkway

Along Colonial Parkway

Yorktown Beach

Gloucester Point Beach (in the distance across the river)

Yorktown Beach

The Animals, The Very Best Things About Williamsburg:

What can I say, I'm an animal lover. I don't know of any other city where I could have all the advantages of an urban area and at the same time have exotic and rare farm animals just hanging out in the middle of town (for anyone to see, not like I'd have to pay admission to a zoo like in most cities). I just know I'll go gaga when the baby lambs are born and I'll probably walk over there every day just to watch them gamboling about.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 PM

794 posts, read 1,262,557 times
Loveautumn, there are quite a few nice apartment complexes around. Have you looked at New Town? Or High Street? Mr Williamsburg has a list of places to try
http://williamsburgsrealestate.com/2...lliamsburg-va/
Williamsburg tends to be where people who work in the surrounding bigger towns live if they can afford it, due to crime and nicer housing. Newport News is certainly lacking in nice rentals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You bring up an interesting question for me. I didn't see any laundromats when I visited--are there any? I'm sure there are some but the fact that I didn't see them front and center makes me presume most people have a way of doing their laundry at home.
Yes, there are several laundromats. There's one on Monticello near richmond road

Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Loveautumn, there are quite a few nice apartment complexes around. Have you looked at New Town? Or High Street? Mr Williamsburg has a list of places to try
Renting a home or apartment in Williamsburg VA « Mr Williamsburg, Blogging on Life and Real Estate in Williamsburg and Hampton Roads Virginia
Williamsburg tends to be where people who work in the surrounding bigger towns live if they can afford it, due to crime and nicer housing. Newport News is certainly lacking in nice rentals.

Yes, there are several laundromats. There's one on Monticello near richmond road
This post makes my day. Sounds like it's a matter of knowing where to look. I hear that's the way it is in more and more cities these days--the era when you could easily find an apartment through the classifieds may be over.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 AM

71 posts, read 141,808 times
Wonderful pictures and commentary!!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM

Seems Craigslist has replaced classifieds as the primary source for apartment listings these days...

I haven't given up on WB! However, I did read the apartment ratings website and wasn't all that encouraged by alot of the comments. Don't know how much credence to put into those, but seems they are for real. I mean, the apartment websites make every place sound like paradise, which I know isn't true. I'm going to check out Mr.W's link.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Loveautumn, I'm glad to see you. I was sad that you might have become discouraged and given up on Williamsburg.

If you don't need to be in the center of town, I think you'll have better luck in neighborhoods like Foxfields. MW recommended that neighborhood to me because it has a walking path to Jamestown Beach so we swung by to take a look. It was a little too far from the center of town for our taste, but I do recall seeing a townhouse for rent for about $1000/month. As long as being a little far far from the rest of Williamsburg, is ok, I'll bet a place like that has a washer/dryer. Seemed like a nice neighborhood. Just a thought--a realtor who does rentals would know about townhouses like that.

Another thought: Some people post a notice in the VAGazette Last Word section. It seems to be a very highly read section of the paper, so I think you might find a place that way.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM

thx for the suggestions....I have no problem living on the outskirts of town, and I don't mind driving anywhere. Since I live in SoCal, that's a way of life here!I go thru alot of ups and downs in researching retirement places because it is such a big decision for me, but WB is definitely still on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area