U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM

448 posts, read 783,256 times

Advertisements

...we are coming down for 4 days and 3 nights and I need to keep the kids plenty entertained ("I'm bored!!")

We are scheduled for a day at Busch Gardens and a day at Water Country. I am a little stumped for the 3rd and 4th days. We can do some mini-golf. Is it out of the question to do some jet skiing in Virginia Beach? I am willing to drive throughout the entire area...

Thanks in advance for all suggestions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 28,338,708 times
What kinds of things do they like to do? Go Ape Go Ape! MD and VA Treetop Adventure | Outdoor Zip Lines, Ropes Course Adventure | Rockville, MD | Williamsburg, VA could be a lot of fun and you won't have to drive far.

If they like beaches, you could take a trip over to VA Beach. Or, try one of the small beaches in the immediate area. Yorktown Beach is small and there aren't any waves, yet it's a fun little beach:

If you like kayaking, I can steer you to some great places that will take you out on tours. There's this one 4-hour tour out to a lighthouse and a beach that your kids might really enjoy. Or kayak out to the historic ships in Jamestown.

Rent some bikes and ride the 22 mile stretch of Colonial Parkway. Note: the pavement topcoat has worn down so if you can rent mountain bikes you'll be happier. It's a gorgeous stretch of road, though, and not much road traffic so it's bicycle friendly.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Excellent suggestions Caladium! Thanks! I will look into the zip lines

Old 05-18-2012, 03:00 PM

If you go, I hope you'll post a review (and even better, photos!). Go Ape is a new place that just opened. I've heard some rave reviews but I haven't been there myself (I don't live in Williamsburg, I just happened to have visited there recently which is why I'm familiar with fun things to do there).

Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you go, I hope you'll post a review (and even better, photos!). Go Ape is a new place that just opened. I've heard some rave reviews but I haven't been there myself (I don't live in Williamsburg, I just happened to have visited there recently which is why I'm familiar with fun things to do there).
I will certainly do that. It looks like you have to make appointments so I will have to look at it and plan. Will probably go on that Sunday. I am actually in Memphis right now on business

Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 AM

31 posts, read 40,988 times
thats funny they have one near where I work in Rockville too. thanks I was thinking about hittinh VA beach my family used to go there every year and my daughter is itching to see the beach but its like another hour away. Unfortunately I'm sure my son won't come close to doing it and I'm deathly afraid of heights. might look into it though.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 AM

That "Go Ape" place looks like a blast.It's interesting that you can do the course in all sorts of weather.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 AM

71 posts, read 141,930 times
There is also a GoKart Plus in the Toano area above Williamsburg. They have bumper boats, go-karts for all ages, other rides and carnival games. Yorktown has a nice beach (as previously mentioned). Buckroe Beach in Hampton on the Chesapeake Bay has some waves and is a nice beach. Also, the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News is a great nature museum with indoor exhibits (touch tank, planetarium, etc) and an outdoor trail through the animal exhibits (wolves, deer, fox, etc). Have fun!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenva View Post
There is also a GoKart Plus in the Toano area above Williamsburg. They have bumper boats, go-karts for all ages, other rides and carnival games. Yorktown has a nice beach (as previously mentioned). Buckroe Beach in Hampton on the Chesapeake Bay has some waves and is a nice beach. Also, the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News is a great nature museum with indoor exhibits (touch tank, planetarium, etc) and an outdoor trail through the animal exhibits (wolves, deer, fox, etc). Have fun!
We went to the GoKart Plus last year. It was one of the things I was thinking of doing again, but it doesn't take up enough time ("Dad, we're bored!!") so I'm trying to fill up that third day with about 2-3 short activities.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Well, we're back from Williamsburg/Hampton Roads. We all really enjoyed ourselves. I'm not sure that those of you who live in the area know what a treasure your area is.

Or course we went to Water Country on Friday during the day and caught a movie at New Town that night. On Saturday, we went to Busch Gardens, (rode the new roller coaster, the Verbolten!!), but on Sunday we didn't expect to have such a great time at Virginia Beach.

It was our first time down there, and we spend a few hours on the beach swimming, playing in the water and catching a few rays. We also rented a tandem bike and took a ride down the beachfront. After, we went para-sailing (great fun) and then had some excellent fresh seafood.

It was absolutely great, the weather was fabulous, the food is great and the people are very hospitable. We are already looking forward to coming down next year (this has become an annual trip on Memorial Day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area