Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:18 AM

23 posts, read 70,407 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We will be spending July 4th week at the Super 8 Motel on Oceanview Drive. Can you give me any insite to the area or the Motel (if you have it). We picked it because Virginia Beach is way too crowded and expensive. This place seemed reasonably priced and it's on the bay. Good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM

bumped this up so hopefully I could get some info

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
I'm not an expert. But I know some areas of Ocean View are not the best to stay in. Hopefully more people familiar with the area can confirm or deny my assumption. It's also a decent drive to Virginia Beach tourist area. You might be better off staying in a hotel inland and jumping on 264 to head to the beach than staying in Oceanview.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 PM

419 posts, read 902,347 times
The Super 8 is next to the Little Creek Base Entrance and near the Marinas. It is not horrible but the crowds in the area vary. East Beach is about 3/8ths to a 1/2 mile away and the beaches there are nice and the neighborhood pleasant. The marinas are interesting. I live on my boat during the week at Vining's Landing. I would stay in the East Beach neighborhood or the marinas if I was walking from the super and be aware of the other guests at the hotel.
Not sure what you would like to do so if you have more specific questions let us know.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM

My daughter, granddaughters and I are just going away for a few days. This place has their own beach and we have a bay view so it sounded kinda nice. Don't have any plans because we are not familiar with the area. Suggestions? I do think we'll drive from Richmond via Route 10 then this part of VA. Can you recommend some good place to eat, that not real expensive?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Actually Gregir is thinking about the wrong hotel, the one he is thinking of is on Shore Drive, the one you will be staying at is on West Ocean View Ave ( if you have the names of your road correct as there is no Ocean View drive) this hotel is in the Willoughby Split section of the city, this hotel used to be a Quality Inn before it shut down and changed names..... Hate to tell you this but you could not pay me enough to stay there.... If you look at the hotel reviews you will see it has one of the lowest/worst reviews of any hotel in the whole city of Norfolk... It is in a area known for high drug sales and prostitution.....you will be staying pretty much right smack in the middle of one of the worst neighborhood blocks in the whole city......not my kind of place to spend a family vacation.

Take staz2k10's advice and find you a hotel in Virginia Beach inland from the ocean and stay there, you can always drive to the beach

Last edited by rtandc; 05-24-2012 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,229 times
If it is the Super 8 on W. Ocean View Ave, don't stay there!! I used to work there, and it was horrible and dirty, and they didn't upkeep the place very well. They finally took down the sign for the closed restaurant. Maybe it has changed in the past few years, but you couldn't pay me to stay at that hotel. They make you pay more to get a room facing the beach, which is probably normal for beach hotels. The only good thing about it is that it's right on the bay, and not too far from the fishing pier.

I don't think that area of Ocean View is too bad. There are MUCH worse places in Norfolk. East Ocean View, closer down by the other Super 8, is much worse, even though it is right by East Beach. I wish there was a better hotel in that area that I could tell you about, because Willoughby/West OV is one of my favorite areas in the city. It might be worth it to get a hotel in Virginia Beach, even if not right in the beach/resort area.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Well this is good to know! Would any of you happen to know a good place to stay? Resonably priced say 100.00 per night or so? I just am now not confident trying to find a nice place not knowing the area.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
You are not going to find anything close to the water on July 4th weekend for 100 bucks a night in a nice location, you would be lucky to find something for under 300 a night on the strip during that time. But you should be able to find something in your price range if you don't mind driving 10-20 minutes to get to the beach, Virginia Beach does offer a number of hotels away from the oceanfront along with the city of Chesapeake in the Greenbriar section of their city......Check any of the on line hotel sites, most offer a map showing where the hotel is located.... Just google Virginia Beach hotels and you will find a ton of sites..... Find a few hotels in your price range for that weekend and then come back and let us know the name of the hotel and where it is located and we can give you our advice about which one might be your best option to stay at...

Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM

Ok. Found a couple that were decently priced. One is the Budget Lodge on Pacific Ave and the other is the Sunshine Motel on Atlantic. Either, Neither??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area