Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

When I think of Virginia Beach I think of the famous Mount Trashmore. Not really sure what's there, but I'm sure it must be more than just a mountain of trash. (Yes, I know it's a park, just not sure if there are spots where you still see the trash). I hear the name Mt. Trashmore mentioned a lot as a place to see in Virginia Beach, so I figure it must be interesting.

What do you guys think of this place? Something to take visitors to, or just an artifact from another era that you don't think about one way or the other?

Are some features better than others? If you had a chance to redesign it, what changes would you make? Does it need a new name? Etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
Having grown up while it was being built i think its a fabulous park and use of the land. I remember years ago you would see debris surface but that seems to have stopped. I raced a soapbox derby car on a downhill track that used to be there. Sine this was the "ONLY hill around we sledded on the snow there back in the day. My kids love the skatepark and the playground is always mobbed when we visit. Runners, walkers love the trail around the lake. There is a boot camp that has fitness classes on a regular basis.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 AM

I'm glad to hear it turned out well and people still love to use it. I remember hearing about it quite a bit back when they first started it. Quite a thing to brag about back then. I remember wondering how it would be after a few decades had gone by. Sounds like it became a real asset to the town.

I googled a photo, and the skate park looks like a really nice one. Plus, you gotta love having a hill to sled on.

Have there ever been problems with bacteria or methane or something like that?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,837 times
I think they outlawed sledding.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Well, that's a bummer. Now if they could only outlaw snow...

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM

So no other comments about Mt. Trashmore? LOL funny how times change. I can remember when it was the hot topic, even for people who didn't live there.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 AM

62 posts, read 251,552 times
I took a few photos while out there...

Old 06-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Nice photos. What shame they closed that hill for sledding. Not that you guys get that much snow, but it's just the right height for it.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM

203 posts, read 476,967 times
Closed since every time they sled there, about twenty people have to be rushed to the hospital. Way overtaxed the resources available to deal with it. If people could use their head, it would still be open for it.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
When I think of Virginia Beach I think of the famous Mount Trashmore. Not really sure what's there, but I'm sure it must be more than just a mountain of trash. (Yes, I know it's a park, just not sure if there are spots where you still see the trash). I hear the name Mt. Trashmore mentioned a lot as a place to see in Virginia Beach, so I figure it must be interesting.

What do you guys think of this place? Something to take visitors to, or just an artifact from another era that you don't think about one way or the other?

Are some features better than others? If you had a chance to redesign it, what changes would you make? Does it need a new name? Etc.
Not sure how they buried the trash but I'm pretty sure it's settled by now. There isn't anything interesting about the park at all. You can see one of the office parks in Virginia Beach from Mount Trashmore. I believe they call that area Midtown.

It just isn't my idea of a park. Most city parks where I'm from in Ohio are miniature forests you can lose yourself in, with park trails that may or may not be paved, and a little pond or river running through. The type of park that Mount Trashmore is, can be found all over the United States. It is not the only park created from a former landfill either.

Keep the name, and there is no reason to redesign it. It serves its purpose, plenty of people go there, why fix what isn't broken? If you're looking for a legendary park experience, such as you would get in Atlanta, Chicago, NY or DC, you won't find it. If you just want a park with a bit of history, Mount Trashmore should fit the bill.

From Dumps to Destinations: Converting Landfills to Parks « City Parks Blog

It talks about Freshkills park, which is a landfill that is currently being reclaimed for land use in New York. Should probably be ready around 2031. Also talks about Mount Trashmore, and some of the technical and environmental challenges that are involved when converting a landfill to a park.

To be honest, I would prefer an actual park, than a landfill, considering how much the city has grown since the early seventies.

http://www.town.cedarburg.wi.us/cm/p...20Examples.pdf

Takes a while to download, but shows some interesting examples of what has been done in cities with former landfills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area