U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,070 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm 28/male/single and from northern virginia. I currently work in DC and decided to take a civilian job with the navy.

The new job starts in 3 weeks and I'd like some advice as to where to live considering my age etc.

I haven't been down to that area in probably 10 years and I'm coming this weekend to check it out. I'd like to live on the beach somewhere, ideally close to the jetty because I'm into surfing.

Are there any well run, nice apartment complexes within a few blocks of the oceanfront? I'd like to spend no more than $1200, and prefer a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for my dog and I. In the DC area many of my friends contacted property managers and they found them many apartments that fit their criteria, and the apartment paid the agent a fee (probably taken from rent). Are there these agents in your area, the internet doesn't have any that I can find.

Pretty much I'm looking for a semi-nice place a few blocks from the beach, everything I find listed has horrible reviews (thats on the oceanfront).

How long would the commute be from the oceanfront to the Navy Yard?

Are there better places to live, considering my age and that I'm single?

Am I crazy to leave a decent gov't job in DC and relocate to VB, where I know noone?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,407,893 times
You aren't crazy to move but you have to realize that there is a trade off in coming down here from the DC area. The vibe is different, the job market is different, and there are a lot less young professionals in the area. I surf and personally, I wouldn't want to live on the strip by first street. It is crowded, loud, and dirty for most of the tourist season (although it is nice the rest of the year). I would live near the north end where the sand bars tend to be better and the crowds are much lighter.

My recommendation, if commute were no issue, would be to live near the intersection of great neck rd and shore drive. It is safe, there are fun bars/restaurants there, you are right next to the state park which has good hiking, biking, kayaking, etc... opportunities. You can walk to the bay and are a short drive from the North End of Virginia Beach which is a much better place to surf if you ask me.

What navy yard are you working at? We have several navy bases in the area and that will have a big impact on your commute. If it is Naval Station Norfolk you would be looking at a best case 30minute commute from the beach. If it is Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth it will be closer to 40 and more like an hour most days with the traffic. If you are at Oceana then it is a pretty short commute from the beach (10 - 15 minutes). Keep in mind also that getting on base requires you to go through the gate and that takes time as well. These are rough estimates that are HIGHLY traffic dependent. You can google search during your typical commute times and they will tell you how long it will take with traffic to get from point A to point B... that is probably more reliable than anything you will get on here.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:53 PM

216 posts, read 556,969 times
Coming from the DC area the rent probably won't seem as absurdly high as if you were coming from most other places, but it's still high. I can tell you that $1200 in Suffolk gets you a 2-bedroom loft under 1000 sqft, but Suffolk's also a good ways away from where you want to be.

As far as your commute, realistically you'll simply want to avoid the tunnels and bridges at rush hours. Especially if the tolls ever get put into place. Grab a map and make sure you're not crossing any large bodies of water and you'll likely be fine.

I agree with the previous poster that I wouldn't want to live right on the Oceanfront, especially during the tourist months.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:56 PM

404 posts, read 1,076,151 times
IMO if you're a single young professional, you should live on the Oceanfront. During the summer there's no shortage of females. The noise and tourist crowds are no different than living in DC. Adams Morgan, U Street, and even Dupont are probably evem worse than VA Beach as far as noise for local residents.

$1,200 can pretty much get you anything in VA Beach as far as 1 bedrooms. Check padmapper.com. I moved from VA Beach to DC a year ago and I was shell shocked how much rent was up here. When I first moved into my apt the rent was $1,200 for a small 1 bdrm and I was thinking "holy SH*T!! that's an average mortgage in VA Beach.! It took me a while to realize that $1,200 for a 1 bedroom in DC is actually good!

Like UHgrad said there's not many young professionals in VA Beach as compared to DC. The only drawback is that VA Beach is not a great place to quickly move up the corporate ladder. The great thing is that there is not as much of a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality amongst young profs.

The only drawback to VA Beach is lack of jobs for young professionals but since you already have a good job, VA Beach is a great place to live. There's plenty to do, many single females, and nice scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area