U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 29,029,673 times

Advertisements

What local newspapers do you guys read? Also, do any of you interact with them? I'm quite amused by the Last Word that they post twice a week for the Virginia Gazette and wondering if any of you are regular posters there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,540,604 times
I get daily email alerts for news in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, so I read whatever articles Google sends to me. Of the local papers, I suppose the Virginian Pilot comes up most. I don't post on their site though. The people who do seem to always say the most ridiculous things, so it's amusing to see what they write, however.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,686,911 times
XGre, I see the same crazy postings on the VA Gazette and Daily Press websites. Its a hoot to read them..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,540,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
XGre, I see the same crazy postings on the VA Gazette and Daily Press websites. Its a hoot to read them..
It really is! Just the other day I was reading about a shooting in Lindenwood and everyone in the comments was talking about how there's a "war" going on in Ward's Corner, a completely different part of town. Half of them don't even make sense.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,245,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What local newspapers do you guys read? Also, do any of you interact with them? I'm quite amused by the Last Word that they post twice a week for the Virginia Gazette and wondering if any of you are regular posters there?
I enjoy the melee over at the Virginian Pilot. Posters go hard in the paint. On the other hand, as entertaining as that is I haven't actually read an article there in months. I do not see the purpose in actually paying for the paper, when the comments section is more entertaining than the actual articles.

What about local TV news? IMHO channel 3 is the best, followed by channel 10. Channel 13 has graphics from back in the 70s, early 80s at best; what gives, is anyone watching that news broadcast are they getting any money at all? Looks like graphics I could put together on a Commodore Amiga.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM

136 posts, read 411,187 times
TV news there is no comparison. Channel 13 is actual NEWS, while Channel 3 is a lot of free stuff, contests, and job search crap. Bribing viewers is not news. Channel 10 annoys me with that stupid chopper waking people up at 5 am. And Andy Fox needs to be taken out and shot!

I read the Pilot daily, the Daily Press once or twice a week, and the Suffolk News-Herald on the rare occasions when i get to Suffolk. Did you know that Hampton Roads is one of the few places in this country with 3 competing daily newspapers? I will also pick up Inside Business, the Flagship, and New Journal & Guide if something on the front page grabs me.

Oh yeah, i do read the Pilot and Press's websites and their Facebook feeds. I'm convinced the same people post the exact same comments on every article they read.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,245,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffConn View Post
TV news there is no comparison. Channel 13 is actual NEWS, while Channel 3 is a lot of free stuff, contests, and job search crap. Bribing viewers is not news. Channel 10 annoys me with that stupid chopper waking people up at 5 am. And Andy Fox needs to be taken out and shot!

I read the Pilot daily, the Daily Press once or twice a week, and the Suffolk News-Herald on the rare occasions when i get to Suffolk. Did you know that Hampton Roads is one of the few places in this country with 3 competing daily newspapers? I will also pick up Inside Business, the Flagship, and New Journal & Guide if something on the front page grabs me.

Oh yeah, i do read the Pilot and Press's websites and their Facebook feeds. I'm convinced the same people post the exact same comments on every article they read.
I wasn't aware of the Suffolk News-Herald.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM

136 posts, read 411,187 times
Hampton Roads has quite a few newspapers even while newspapers are dying across the country. I guess we can thank the Chesapeake Bay for that. I did some online searching and was very surprised to find a bunch of them here.

Virginian-Pilot (daily)
Daily Press (daily)
Suffolk News-Herald (6 days a week)
Tidewater News (3 days a week)
Virginia Gazette (2 days a week)
Yorktown Crier/Poquoson Post (weekly)
New Journal and Guide (weekly)
Inside Business (weekly)
Flagship News (weekly)
Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal (weekly)
plus there are some base newspapers and all the colleges have their own specialized newspapers. Between the Facebook feeds, RSS feeds, and email updates, i get a ton of news every day. I'm a news junkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area