Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM

14 posts, read 32,033 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm 23 and I'm a nurse and I just go into the Navy Nurse Corps. I chose Portsmouth Naval Medical Center as my first assignment. I will be moving there from Portland, OR (born and raised). I've never been on the east coast.
I'm a stereotypical Portland hipster that thinks good food and booze are more important than anything else in life. I have a food blog. I like city-living. I like walking but will be bringing a car and motorcycle. I would not want a commute that's over an hour. I'm hoping for covered/secure parking.
I've heard things like "don't live in Portsmouth," "closer to the beach the better" and "Ghent is the way to go." I have no initial desire to be in the military crowd as I will probably be the youngest nurse at work (again). I imagine something close to a University would be fun but I'm not willing to put up with BS.
Any suggestions for good areas, roads, etc. would be well heard and appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

26 posts, read 67,717 times
Sw88tpea,

I left Virginia 18 years ago, but let's see if I can help...

Portsmouth Naval Hospital is right on the river that separates Portsmouth and Norfolk. I would suggest you find housing in Portsmouth since you would need to travel through one of the tunnels if you chose to live in Norfolk. The tunnels can be a nightmare during rush hour and from what I've been reading online, they plan on slapping a toll on the Midtown tunnel to pay for upgrade costs. I believe you can find decent living arrangememts in Portsmouth. The city has a lot of personality when compared to the cookie cutter homes of Virginia Beach.

BTW, get ready for culture shock. I say this because I moved in the other direction (from Virginia Beach to Portland). Virginia and Oregon are as different as night and day. The weather is different, political views are different, the food is different, even your definition of "outdoor activities" will differ (ie; sunbathing on the beach is not an outdoor activity in Oregon...ha, ha, ha). Also, you are moving to the largest military community in the world. That in itself can be very interesting!

However, I loved living there! There is so much to do that I never experienced a dull moment in 8 years.

Good luck and let us know how the food compares. I'm interested in your take on the subject.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 67,717 times
Default Ps:

Here's a link to the Virginia Pilot. It's the local newspaper covering the Hampton Roads area (and the surrounding communities). This should provide you with a "feel" for the area.

PilotOnline.com: News for Hampton Roads, Va., from The Virginian-Pilot

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
If you're looking for a hip neighborhood to live in that's walkable, Ghent is your best bet. Ghent itself is a really beautiful, historic neighborhood where Norfolk's trendiest like to congregate. Lots of restaurants, shops, bars, cafes, etc. However, it's more than just a hipster neighborhood, meaning that lots of people like to hang out/living in Ghent. It's on the edge of downtown, and close to ODU (although the neighborhoods between Ghent and ODU can be a little rough). All around, Ghent is an awesome neighborhood and very close to the Midtown tunnel to Portsmouth. The commute to Portsmouth via the tunnels (Downtown and Midtown) can be pretty bad, but it could be worth it for the right living situation, in my opinion.

I don't live in Hampton Roads anymore, but I grew up in Norfolk and always loved Ghent. I still spend a lot of time there when I'm in town visiting. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time on the East Coast. I lived in San Francisco for awhile, and can safely say that the two Coasts are very different, but I'm sure with an open mind you'll find that Virginia is welcoming place.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
If you're looking for a hip neighborhood to live in that's walkable, Ghent is your best bet. Ghent itself is a really beautiful, historic neighborhood where Norfolk's trendiest like to congregate. Lots of restaurants, shops, bars, cafes, etc. However, it's more than just a hipster neighborhood, meaning that lots of people like to hang out/living in Ghent. It's on the edge of downtown, and close to ODU (although the neighborhoods between Ghent and ODU can be a little rough). All around, Ghent is an awesome neighborhood and very close to the Midtown tunnel to Portsmouth. The commute to Portsmouth via the tunnels (Downtown and Midtown) can be pretty bad, but it could be worth it for the right living situation, in my opinion.

I don't live in Hampton Roads anymore, but I grew up in Norfolk and always loved Ghent. I still spend a lot of time there when I'm in town visiting. Either way, I hope you enjoy your time on the East Coast. I lived in San Francisco for awhile, and can safely say that the two Coasts are very different, but I'm sure with an open mind you'll find that Virginia is welcoming place.
Agreed! To quote the OP, "Ghent is the way to go."

Old 06-16-2012, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times
Default Success??

Hey Miss Portland,

Did you find a place to live??

I'm moving into Virginia Beach/Norfolk in the next month, looking for something permanent, and also came last in the USA out of Portland, OR (with a 4 year hiatus in Germany & New Zealand in between). I've been considering areas and was thinking Ghent too for the same reasons as you---

Just wondering how the search went, and what you decided.

Your Fellow PDX transplant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area