U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg
1,184 posts, read 3,675,676 times
Reputation: 405

Advertisements

This is where according to this study by Food World

Attached Thumbnails
Where do you shop for groceries in VA Beach ?-grocery-store-market-share-va-beach.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 28,936,178 times
Reputation: 42951
Seven-Eleven? LOL I never thought about getting groceries there.

What happened to Martin's? Or is that only up in the Williamsburg area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
 
10 posts, read 13,130 times
Reputation: 15
I'm surprised Food Lion gets so much business...

When is this study from? Trade Joe's is probably a lot higher now from when it opened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg
1,184 posts, read 3,675,676 times
Reputation: 405
The study was done by Food World and is for 2011..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Portsmouth, VA
6,513 posts, read 7,188,276 times
Reputation: 3765
Why was my post erased? I still believe that K Mart and Kroger's offer some of the best deals in town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
 
3,848 posts, read 8,580,473 times
Reputation: 2012
I used to shop at Wal-Mart, moved to Farm Fresh because Wal-Mart became such a lousy place, and then my local Farm Fresh became just as lousy (not to mention over priced) so I moved to Food Lion. It's not the best store, but believe it or not prices are really good, lines are non-existent and it's actually a positive shopping experience. I love the coupons you get when you scan your MVP card when you go in. Definitely some good savings. I used to be anti-Food Lion but I've converted and do it all there now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM
 
Location: From TX to VA
8,578 posts, read 6,527,502 times
Reputation: 8119
I didn't use to think much of Food Lion. I didn't like the stores (dingy, cluttered) and I thought they were overpriced. I loved Farm Fresh but their prices kept inching up, pennies at a time. For the majority of the household items, we'd shop at Walmart and use coupons. then I'd drive over to Kroger to get whatever else I needed.

Now that Food Lion has improved their stores and lowered some prices, I don't mind shopping there. Some of their store brand products (My Essential) have turned out to be just as good as the name brand products but for quite a bit less money. Some - not so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM
 
3,848 posts, read 8,580,473 times
Reputation: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I didn't use to think much of Food Lion. I didn't like the stores (dingy, cluttered) and I thought they were overpriced. I loved Farm Fresh but their prices kept inching up, pennies at a time. For the majority of the household items, we'd shop at Walmart and use coupons. then I'd drive over to Kroger to get whatever else I needed.

Now that Food Lion has improved their stores and lowered some prices, I don't mind shopping there. Some of their store brand products (My Essential) have turned out to be just as good as the name brand products but for quite a bit less money. Some - not so much.
Agreed on Food Lion! I go their salsa for 80 something cents the other day and it was tasty (they gave me a $1 off coupon at the MVP savings center) the My Essential's tortilla rounds? Not so much!

I always get coupons for the frozen waffles, too. 10 waffles for $1.07 is a really good deal, IMO!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: From TX to VA
8,578 posts, read 6,527,502 times
Reputation: 8119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Agreed on Food Lion! I go their salsa for 80 something cents the other day and it was tasty (they gave me a $1 off coupon at the MVP savings center) the My Essential's tortilla rounds? Not so much!

I always get coupons for the frozen waffles, too. 10 waffles for $1.07 is a really good deal, IMO!
For us, it's turning out to be sort of 'trial by error' as we learn which of the My Essentials products we do and don't like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 28,936,178 times
Reputation: 42951
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
For us, it's turning out to be sort of 'trial by error' as we learn which of the My Essentials products we do and don't like.
Ohhhh.... this sounds like an idea for a good thread.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top