U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM
 
6,069 posts, read 9,321,165 times
Reputation: 6945

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I guess that all depends on where you are standing at in the USA when you ask that question.....I have found that most people outside the military don't know anything about Norfolk and I don't think they could find it on a map, but those same people have heard about Virginia Beach and know where it is....both cities are a whole bunch of nothing IMO but I think nationwide Virginia Beach far outshines Norfolk as being the hub for this area.
I agree unless someone has ties to the military most do not know where Norfolk is, but I don't think the cities are a whole bunch of nothing. Just because they're not the place for you doesn't mean they're not right for others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
 
275 posts, read 823,187 times
Reputation: 144
Norfolk is often seen as the anchor city/business district. Virginia Beach is the tourist spot, kinda like Williamsburg. Norfolk is better-known for its military and history. Both cities have really nice areas that you just gotta see in person. Don't believe all the bitter comments people have on this forum at times.

I think both cities are very well-known, esp. along the east coast. They're not on a Chicago or Miami level, but they're not in BFE either. If both cities were to work together, similar to Dallas-Ft. Worth, Minneapolis-St. Paul, or Raleigh-Durham, they could get so much more done. If light rail and the new arena are both approved, that would help tremendously.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 AM
 
1,477 posts, read 5,595,771 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I agree unless someone has ties to the military most do not know where Norfolk is, but I don't think the cities are a whole bunch of nothing. Just because they're not the place for you doesn't mean they're not right for others.
I lived in Virginia Beach for 40 years, it was home....but at the same time I am smart enough to look at the big picture. I have been lucky enough in my life to be able to do allot of traveling and can say without any doubt there is nothing special about Norfolk or Virginia Beach other then personally it was where my children were raised........if fact when comparing those two cities with other cities across the nation both fall well below what other cities their same size offer... So I'm not telling you or anyone else if these cities are a right or wrong choice I'm just stating they are nothing special and neither city offers anything you can't find elsewhere
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Portsmouth, VA
6,513 posts, read 7,181,465 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
I hear more about that city than any of the others. Even Virginia Beach, which is bigger.
Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, and Virginia Beach are more densely populated than Norfolk. But Norfolk is where the action is at. Virginia Beach is bigger, and technically, more of a city statistically, but it just does not have the environment Norfolk does. The other three cities I mentioned are the slums of the region, with a few great neighborhoods, but still slums overall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 5,521,871 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, and Virginia Beach are more densely populated than Norfolk. But Norfolk is where the action is at. Virginia Beach is bigger, and technically, more of a city statistically, but it just does not have the environment Norfolk does. The other three cities I mentioned are the slums of the region, with a few great neighborhoods, but still slums overall.
How is VB "statistically more of a city?" I'm not really sure what you mean there, but Norfolk is a lot more dense, both population-wise and structurally. It's the most densely populated city in Hampton Roads. According to city-data, VB's population density is at 1,764 per square mile. While Norfolk is 4,519 per square mile (even higher than Richmond, which may surprise some people). It also has a traditional city center/financial district and rings of urbanization outward from the core. VB does not. Norfolk also has better public transit options than VB. And the overall feel of Norfolk is more aligned to a typical urban city on the East Coast as it's a place with dense historical neighborhoods, pre-WWII housing stock, higher walkability, and an industrial port vibe that can be felt city-wide. Anyone looking for the urban experience in Hampton Roads would gravitate to Norfolk and Portsmouth, not Virginia Beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2012, 03:30 PM
 
371 posts, read 859,611 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
How is VB "statistically more of a city?" I'm not really sure what you mean there, but Norfolk is a lot more dense, both population-wise and structurally. It's the most densely populated city in Hampton Roads. According to city-data, VB's population density is at 1,764 per square mile. While Norfolk is 4,519 per square mile (even higher than Richmond, which may surprise some people). It also has a traditional city center/financial district and rings of urbanization outward from the core. VB does not. Norfolk also has better public transit options than VB. And the overall feel of Norfolk is more aligned to a typical urban city on the East Coast as it's a place with dense historical neighborhoods, pre-WWII housing stock, higher walkability, and an industrial port vibe that can be felt city-wide. Anyone looking for the urban experience in Hampton Roads would gravitate to Norfolk and Portsmouth, not Virginia Beach.
I agree 100%. Norfolk is the most densely populated city in the Tidewater region by far. Hampton, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Virginia Beach feel more suburban throughout the entire cities. Virginia Beach is also behind Hampton, Portsmouth, and Newport News in reference to density, and feeling like a true city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Portsmouth, VA
6,513 posts, read 7,181,465 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
How is VB "statistically more of a city?" I'm not really sure what you mean there, but Norfolk is a lot more dense, both population-wise and structurally. It's the most densely populated city in Hampton Roads. According to city-data, VB's population density is at 1,764 per square mile. While Norfolk is 4,519 per square mile (even higher than Richmond, which may surprise some people). It also has a traditional city center/financial district and rings of urbanization outward from the core. VB does not. Norfolk also has better public transit options than VB. And the overall feel of Norfolk is more aligned to a typical urban city on the East Coast as it's a place with dense historical neighborhoods, pre-WWII housing stock, higher walkability, and an industrial port vibe that can be felt city-wide. Anyone looking for the urban experience in Hampton Roads would gravitate to Norfolk and Portsmouth, not Virginia Beach.
Interesting, I interchanged the density per square kilometer in Virginia Beach with the density per square mile in Norfolk. Not even sure how I did that.

I wasn't suggesting that Virginia Beach was more urban in other ways though. In fact, given the high population of Virginia Beach, and the sheer land mass, one would expect a lot more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 03:52 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 5,521,871 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Interesting, I interchanged the density per square kilometer in Virginia Beach with the density per square mile in Norfolk. Not even sure how I did that.
Been looking at too many stats, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I wasn't suggesting that Virginia Beach was more urban in other ways though. In fact, given the high population of Virginia Beach, and the sheer land mass, one would expect a lot more.
I will say the Virginia Beach numbers can be misleading at times (of course all statistics can) because of VB's urban growth boundary. The rural southern half of VB - Pungo, Creeds, Munden, etc - can skew things like population density. If you just take into account VB's more developed northern half, the population density looks like it would be somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 per square mile. Still not as dense as Norfolk, but you get the picture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Portsmouth, VA
6,513 posts, read 7,181,465 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Been looking at too many stats, haha.



I will say the Virginia Beach numbers can be misleading at times (of course all statistics can) because of VB's urban growth boundary. The rural southern half of VB - Pungo, Creeds, Munden, etc - can skew things like population density. If you just take into account VB's more developed northern half, the population density looks like it would be somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 per square mile. Still not as dense as Norfolk, but you get the picture.
What really amazed me were the differences between Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Both look similar on the surface, but Chesapeake is a fraction of Virginia Beach's density. Chesapeake does not seem to be doing as much to increase density as Virginia Beach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 5,521,871 times
Reputation: 1565
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
What really amazed me were the differences between Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Both look similar on the surface, but Chesapeake is a fraction of Virginia Beach's density. Chesapeake does not seem to be doing as much to increase density as Virginia Beach.
I guess that's because Chesapeake may not be as in-demand as VB. For whatever reason, VB is still this sort-of crown jewel of the region to a lot of folks. I remember being a kid living in Norfolk hearing about friends moving to VB and acting like it was this status thing, like they were really moving up in the world. When my mother eventually moved us to VB, and I started to hang around VB natives almost exclusively, I realized many of them seemed to think the same way - like living in one of the other 6 cities, Norfolk or Portsmouth especially, would be below them.

Chesapeake is a weird place though. Parts feel like Norfolk, parts like VB, and parts like rural North Carolina or Suffolk. I always seem to be lost when I'm there, haha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top