Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 11:30 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Pundits fear that Hampton Roads will turn into the next New York City. Problem is, that would give the area 48 million residents. Even based on D.C. population density, the area would be 8 million residents.

However, if the entire area were as densely populated as Portsmouth, the area would have 2.5 million residents. That is change that I can live with; the place would be considered urban, as infrastructure would need to be built in order to accommodate the increase in population, and we are only talking about an additional 900,000 residents, which I think the region could sustain if you add several more routes onto The Tide and throw in Bus Rapid Transit to boot. You might have some high-rise low-income apartment complexes though, but that may be an inevitability if housing prices do not come down in this region anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:10 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I am appealing to the administrator to have this thread deleted, as it contains some inaccuracies. Also, though the other cities (except for Norfolk) could stand to have Portsmouth's density, I was corrected on another thread in that Norfolk is actually the most densely populated city in the region.

Norfolk comes in at twice the density of cities like Portsmouth, and seven times that of cities like Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. By that definition, Virginia Beach could potentially have 2.8 million people and Chesapeake could have 1.4 million people, were they as dense as Norfolk. The entire region would have 11 million people, were the seven cities as a whole as dense as Norfolk.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I am appealing to the administrator to have this thread deleted, as it contains some inaccuracies. Also, though the other cities (except for Norfolk) could stand to have Portsmouth's density, I was corrected on another thread in that Norfolk is actually the most densely populated city in the region.

Norfolk comes in at twice the density of cities like Portsmouth, and seven times that of cities like Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. By that definition, Virginia Beach could potentially have 2.8 million people and Chesapeake could have 1.4 million people, were they as dense as Norfolk. The entire region would have 11 million people, were the seven cities as a whole as dense as Norfolk.
Goofy, you can send a DM to the moderator of this forum and make your request. The mods have lives away from City-Data, so I don't think they're here at our forums 24/7. Hope the list helps.
Moderator List
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area