Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 26,135 times

Advertisements

i live in ohio and im haveing the same problume except there nesting in the basement and in the cars! EWWW! i cant find out any thing on these freaking things but if you do please let me know and if i can find anything out ill be sure to let you know! Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 09:21 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Maggot View Post
i live in ohio and im haveing the same problume except there nesting in the basement and in the cars! EWWW! i cant find out any thing on these freaking things but if you do please let me know and if i can find anything out ill be sure to let you know! Danielle
I've posted this site in a few places on this forum. Take a picture of your critter & upload it to www.whatsthatbug.com with a request to have it identified. These guys are really good at getting back to you with and ID and letting you know if its dangerous or not. Its a great site but can make your skin crawl a little!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 PM

44 posts, read 107,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorbert21 View Post
I live in Newport News and just bought a house. I have, so far, had at least 5 black, hairy spiders measuring 1 1/2 to 2" length. They have a body similar to tarantulas, they seem to have keen eyesight, and they are mostly on the floor when I find them, though I did find a lighter grey/brown spider very similar to them on the wall the other day- it was only about 3/4 inch though. What the heck are the huge black ones??
Those big black/brown ones are wolf spiders. They do seem to have keen eyesight, and will attempt to avoid you when you try to kill them. They're big enough that you can almost hear them move...

Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter View Post
I Am Constantly Finding Myself Dodging Huge Spider Webs At Night And Early In The Mornings When I Take My Dog For A Walk... They Seem To Be Everywhere! Today I Actually Walked Into One! Gross! This Spider Hanging From Them Is Big... Kinda Yellow Or Orange And Has Kinda Striped Legs... Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Spider This Is, And If It Can Hurt Me Or My Dog???
The spiders are no joke around here! I was visiting my cousin, and I wasn't in her house for no more than 5 minutes, and when I got back to my car, a spider web was already created between my car and the car parked next to mine!!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM

349 posts, read 862,899 times

these are what we had to deal with in kuwait and iraq

Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post
That is unnatural! I couldn't imagine being around those things!!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 22,782 times
i have something similar and i'm trying to figure out what they are. They make pretty big webs at night, their bodies are like a brown/tan ball about the the size of a marble some are a little smaller, and their legs have red strips. Do I need to worry about my kids or dog?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:48 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
My parents had a bunch of bushes in front of their house when they first moved in it. They were full of spiders similiar to what you describe. As several posters mentioned, they appear to be a variety of garden spider, which are pretty much harmless dispite their larger size.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblaine View Post

They grow them big in the desert and the jungles.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetter View Post
I Am Constantly Finding Myself Dodging Huge Spider Webs At Night And Early In The Mornings When I Take My Dog For A Walk... They Seem To Be Everywhere! Today I Actually Walked Into One! Gross! This Spider Hanging From Them Is Big... Kinda Yellow Or Orange And Has Kinda Striped Legs... Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Spider This Is, And If It Can Hurt Me Or My Dog???
watch out for the ones that have stripped leggin's and lil' ball caps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area