U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,173,628 times

Advertisements

Were the entire area as densely populated as Norfolk, Hampton Roads would have over 11 million people. Norfolk comes in at 7 times the density of Chesapeake and 3 times that of Virginia Beach, and 1 1/2 to twice the density of the older cities (Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News).

We have six times as much land as New York City. This is a really, really, big place. Virginia could have cities of a million or more, and the cities would not have to consolidate into one city for it to happen either. New York is six times as dense as Norfolk.

I remain an optimist. I don't think the density of Norfolk is too much to ask for this region. Norfolk is enough of an urban tapestry for most, without being overwhelming, and without being intimidating.

Last edited by goofy328; 08-31-2012 at 03:26 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,519,660 times
While I personally prefer a more dense environment, I realize not everyone does, and I think one of the things HR currently has going for it is its variety of living environments - from rural to urban. The whole world is urbanizing more, however. Seems like the cities that we have are just expanding, becoming bigger and more developed. My prediction for HR is Norfolk and Portsmouth becoming more "Manhattanized" if you will, since both are smaller geographically and must build up instead of out. The rest of the Southside still has room to sprawl, and I think they will continue to do so unfortunately. The suburban model of building cities has proven to be a difficult machine to stop.

I also see the influence of Washington and Northern Virginia spreading southward, closing the rural gap between Richmond and NoVA. Eventually the rural gap between Richmond and HR will get smaller to, imo.
Rate this post positively
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area