Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 30,600 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting stationed in Norfolk and we should be moving late Sept/early Oct. I have been searching, searching, searching for apartments, and preferably single family homes in or around Norfolk. I have pretty much given up on finding something in Norfolk because of the bad rep it has, I have a child and NEED a safe area. Everyone I talk to says Virginia Beach or Chesapeake, so that is where I am looking. I was looking online again today and found a home in Rock Creek area of Virginia Beach. Does anyone have anything, positive or negative, they can tell me about this neighborhood? I need any and all advice I can get to make a good decision because if things turn out good I would like to get this house before someone else does. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 04:49 PM

275 posts, read 870,659 times
I've never heard of the neighborhood, but I looked it up on Google Maps. It's in a pretty nice part of town, your typical Virginia Beach suburb with newer homes (about 25 years or younger), with a Target and Wal-Mart close by. Probably about 10 mins. from Lynnhaven Mall as well as Farm Bureau Live (concert venue). Safe area as far as I know, and looking at the map, your child is probably in the Landstown or Salem High school zones. Don't know how either school is, but VB has a pretty good school system.

One thing I'll say is you're kinda close to Oceana, so you'll probably hear the jets (it's not as bad as people claim). A realtor should be able to tell you whether you're in the direct flight path. In fact, they're supposed to bring that up because of the proximity, so if it hasn't been mentioned, you might be safe.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Little to no jet noise there. There are nice parks, but depending on the part of Rock Creek the houses are really close together. Actually that's what kept us from buying there.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM

275 posts, read 870,659 times
I stand (or sit) corrected on the jets. Thanks for the correction! I forgot that newer homes in this area are pretty close together. It's the same way in Chesapeake.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 30,600 times
This is very good news to me!! I honestly don't mind the closeness of the homes. All of our Navy career so far we've lived in either apartments or the townhouse we live in now on base. All of our homes up to this point have been connected, so just having a home that is it's own house is good enough for me haha. And the jets DEFINITELY don't bother me. I live on a navy air station, we have planes and jets and all kinds of things flying over daily.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM

203 posts, read 477,121 times
Some juvenile problems and vehicle larceny problems come and go in that area.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,933,487 times
This is the neighborhood near Princess Anne and South Independence, right? If so, like others have said it's your typical VB neighborhood. Census data says the median income is right at 73k a year, and it's relatively diverse ethnically (for VB at least), with Whites at 55%, Blacks at 18%, Asians at 11%, Hispanics at 8%, and Other Groups at 7%. And yeah, I think it's in the Salem school district which seems to be right down the middle as far as VB's schools go - not the best but not the worst either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area