U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,880,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico santana View Post
I will be moving back to the Hampton Roads area within the next few weeks. Once I'm there I will be using public transportation to get around to look for employment. What I would like to know is how is the public transportation system in Hampton Roads? I'm assuming I will mainly be looking for employment in Norfolk.
It sucks. Only one train for light rail, no subway, no heavy rail, takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour when waiting for the bus, drivers routinely pass up passengers if they're running late or there aren't enough passengers for them to make it worth their while to stop, and driver routinely running late or early.

Your best bet is to work and live in the same city. Try to do everything in the same city, then buy a vehicle, cash out of pocket if possible because the DMV is a trip around here too. Well, if you've moving back you probably already know about the DMV, but no, transportation hasn't changed that much since you left.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:41 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,880,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I wish I could make a glowing positive post about bus service but I can't. I don't know what it's like in Norfolk, but I sure wouldn't depend on it to get around Virginia Beach. It might as well be non-existent throughout most of the city. I would love to be able to ride the bus around town, but sadly, the poor service makes me have to rely on using my car.

Transit service aside though - good luck on your move.
Norfolk sucks too. Rush hour is good, but then again, rush hour is good anywhere.

Most MODERN bus systems run at least every 5 to 10 minutes during rush hour, multiple buses, anywhere from 2pm to 5pm, at least that is the way it was where I lived. Not Norfolk, you still have to wait 30 minutes and then there is only one bus that arrives and that bus is packed, with like 15 people standing up. Mornings were pretty good too it was hard to miss a bus then. Afternoons and evenings were sketchy though; pretty much after 7 it was back to every half hour and by 11 it was like once an hour until the last run, which was 1 am. Going out to the suburbs on the bus I would not recommend; well first off, IF the bus went out to a particular suburb you might have to wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours at any given time. Second, the bus would end early, like 9 pm. Generally it was far easier to walk back into the city and pick up the bus from there, but that walk depended on how deep you were into that suburb, walkability (or lack of), etc.

The other way of looking at that is that we had a lot of poor people relying on the bus but that is another topic for a different day.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:54 PM

6,193 posts, read 9,292,654 times
For transit, Norfolk is the best while Chesapeake is the worst. This is based on ridership numbers by city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area