U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,249 times

Advertisements

Hi i was just wondering if some people could help me out here, im considering moving to VA beach sometime in the fall of 2013 or 2014. Could a college student live comfertably on his own on a min wage job in Va Beach in a townhouse or apartment? how is the crime rates? i come from Youngstown, Ohio so i know Crime when i see it, part of the reason i want to move out of here is because it gets really old really fast seeing someone was robbed or killed every night on the news, its getting to the point some parts of town you can walk out of you're house or car without feeling threatened, so obviously i would like to live in less crime-riden part of Va Beach. also do pets get stolen very often? we dont have that here (yet but i wouldnt put it past people for that to increase either) im sure ill end up getting a dog eventually after im all settled in. im sure Crimte rate is a little inflated due to some tourist getting robbed or losing things and claiming them stolen, but the population is 66,000 some people to VA Beach area 400,000+ according to 2010 census and yet we still had 6 more people murdered and if we matched Va beach population that number would have hit 150.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM

275 posts, read 825,146 times
For a city of 450K, the crime is pretty low. You may have car vandalisms and robberies, but overall, it's a safe place to live, depending on where you stay. Pembroke/Town Center area is nice, as is Kempsville and Lynnhaven. Those are all just off the top of my head.

As far as cost of living, don't count on it. Last I checked, minimum wage is still $7.25 in Virginia, so even if you work full-time, that's about $1,160 a month, before taxes. Even with no car payment, I guarantee you that you won't find a place to stay without a roommate. The decent apartments start around $800...I had a friend who stayed in a 1 BR in Lynnhaven for $850.

Don't rule out parts of Norfolk (i.e. Ghent) or Chesapeake, although the same rule applies with the $800 minimum rent.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
For a city of 450K, the crime is pretty low. You may have car vandalisms and robberies, but overall, it's a safe place to live, depending on where you stay. Pembroke/Town Center area is nice, as is Kempsville and Lynnhaven. Those are all just off the top of my head.

As far as cost of living, don't count on it. Last I checked, minimum wage is still $7.25 in Virginia, so even if you work full-time, that's about $1,160 a month, before taxes. Even with no car payment, I guarantee you that you won't find a place to stay without a roommate. The decent apartments start around $800...I had a friend who stayed in a 1 BR in Lynnhaven for $850.

Don't rule out parts of Norfolk (i.e. Ghent) or Chesapeake, although the same rule applies with the $800 minimum rent.

Car payments not an issue i have a car i got willed to me from my grandfather that i dont plan on getting rid of soon (1999 monte carlo) what about prices for town houses? just in general not for min wage

Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM

275 posts, read 825,146 times
Townhouses will go for a little more, I'd say $1,000-1,200 minimum, but don't hold me to that.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Im also looking to do some shopping around for places in the spring, what are some areas to avoid if i wanted to avoid the bigger crime areas in VA Beach and Chesapeake and where are some places such as agencies i can find to help me look for places to move into

Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM

6,100 posts, read 9,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefromyoungstown View Post
Hi i was just wondering if some people could help me out here, im considering moving to VA beach sometime in the fall of 2013 or 2014. Could a college student live comfertably on his own on a min wage job in Va Beach in a townhouse or apartment? how is the crime rates? i come from Youngstown, Ohio so i know Crime when i see it, part of the reason i want to move out of here is because it gets really old really fast seeing someone was robbed or killed every night on the news, its getting to the point some parts of town you can walk out of you're house or car without feeling threatened, so obviously i would like to live in less crime-riden part of Va Beach. also do pets get stolen very often? we dont have that here (yet but i wouldnt put it past people for that to increase either) im sure ill end up getting a dog eventually after im all settled in. im sure Crimte rate is a little inflated due to some tourist getting robbed or losing things and claiming them stolen, but the population is 66,000 some people to VA Beach area 400,000+ according to 2010 census and yet we still had 6 more people murdered and if we matched Va beach population that number would have hit 150.
Minimum wage is 7.25 and hour x 40 hours a week = 290$ a week x 4 weeks in a month = 1160 before tax. I'm just gonna say nope!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,079,981 times
You could possibly afford living off minimum wage if you had a roommate.

Virginia Beach is pretty safe overall. It's a big spread out suburb dominated by military and gov't employees. There's isolated incidents here and there but there's no big hotbed of crime.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
You could possibly afford living off minimum wage if you had a roommate.

Virginia Beach is pretty safe overall. It's a big spread out suburb dominated by military and gov't employees. There's isolated incidents here and there but there's no big hotbed of crime.

well its not like i wont have any money, im trying to save up to a year or 2 worth of rent payments so that way i wont be strapped for cash right away anyways and ill have money to live off of untill i can find a job, and if i cant find one in the first month i live there then its probably best i dont stay past a month

Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM

6,100 posts, read 9,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefromyoungstown View Post
well its not like i wont have any money, im trying to save up to a year or 2 worth of rent payments so that way i wont be strapped for cash right away anyways and ill have money to live off of untill i can find a job, and if i cant find one in the first month i live there then its probably best i dont stay past a month
Most places will require you to make 2.5 x 3 times the amount of the rent a month, and they will require a lease. Breaking a lease is expensive. Maybe you should think about renting a room from someone until you decide if the area is for you. Why not live on campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area