U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 10:46 PM

20 posts, read 56,122 times

Advertisements

I've read through the many threads pertaining to Williamsburg and didn't find any comments regarding airplane noise. I'm thinking of retiring to the area and recently visited a few communities with and without a realtor. Communities such as Ford's Colony, The Settlement, Colonial Hertiage and Stonehouse. We would like to avoid a community/area that isn't subject to flight patterns either from the nearby commerical airports of Newport News or Richmond or the military.

During our visit, we didn't observe much and our realtor told us the flight patterns are such that at least in Ford's Colony (where the realtor lives) airplane noise isn't an issue.

We currently live in Central NJ and we are regularly subject to commericial take offs and landings from Newark, LaGuardia and JFK. We live approximatley 25 miles west of Newark airport. I realize it's virtually impossible to avoid this, however, I would like to know before moving how much air traffic there is. In our area, due to so many complaints, the FAA decided years ago, to move on a regular basis the flight patterns to give periodic relieve to many towns. So the problem just gets shifted around. One town can go for months without much noise while another one gets hit hard and then a shift will be implemented.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 PM

1,183 posts, read 3,621,054 times
We have lived in Williamsburg for 10+ years. Airplane noise is almost non existent. In fact its so rare when you do hear one you look up to see what is flying. Typically its a small plane..

There are a few neighborhoods close to the Williamsburg airport that experience small plane noise. The Vineyards abuts the airport. But again these are small cessna types of private planes..

We do get a few military copters ( from Camp Perry or elsewhere) here and there doing maneuvers. You can watch them drop divers into the James River at times..

The only noise issue in my opinion only applies to residents of Queens Lake and adjacent areas. Camp Perry is known to have VERY loud training activity there . But you cannot here it unless you are pretty close to the base.

You will not Camp Perry training at any of the communities you mentioned.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 AM

20 posts, read 56,122 times
Mr. Williamsburg, I appreciate the feedback you provided. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area