U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to trash the place. I had to move here for a job, and I'm stuck here for an indeterminate future. It's not a horrible place, but it's just not for me. I find the people and the landscape to be monotonous, to say the least. How do you cope with living here if you're in the same situation? I like mountains and woods - I have to stay local for my job because I'm call. I like quiet areas with few people. Please give me some tips about what you have grown to like about the area - or what you see as plusses - if you are in a similar situation as me. Thanks!

Edit: Also, I meant to say that I am *on* call for work, so I can't be driving out to Shenandoah every week. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by DJKConnor; 10-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Please post to the forum, as I was hesitant to give my real email address when registering. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM

13 posts, read 42,327 times
Where did you come from? I am from Long Island originally and also lived in NE Ohio for 5 years. I have lived here since '99. I love it here. The traffic is nothing compared to the NY metro area and the water at the ocean is actually warm unlike the NY beaches. There are plenty of good restaurants. To me, this place is ideal. It is large enough to have enough to do, but the cost of living is moderate and I no longer have to sit in traffic at a complete standstill on the Long Island Expressway.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 AM

275 posts, read 813,436 times
Interesting that you want quietness and less people, but call the area monotonous. That's not a diss, just an observation.

I'm a native, so while there are the military transplants, you have plenty of people who've been here all their lives, or called it their new home. I agree with Rick though, the culture and nightlife is there, you just gotta find it. DJK, what do you like to do, and what city are you in?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,365,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Interesting that you want quietness and less people, but call the area monotonous. That's not a diss, just an observation.

I'm a native, so while there are the military transplants, you have plenty of people who've been here all their lives, or called it their new home. I agree with Rick though, the culture and nightlife is there, you just gotta find it. DJK, what do you like to do, and what city are you in?
I think he meant that the flat coastal plain landscape where all you see is trees is monotonous, but I'm not sure. As far as the people part... it sounds like my coworkers from Oregon that don't like it here because it is too "family friendly" and conservative, I'd be curious if the OP is from out west somewhere. Having lived in mountainous areas before I can definitely understand the landscape part as a criticism though. Hiking the Noland Trail or First Landing is nice enough but it isn't comparable to skyline drive or stuff out west in the rockies by any stretch.

To the OP's question, I am from the area and like it but I work with a lot of transplants that are in a similar boat as you are. They don't dislike the area but aren't particularly impressed either. A lot of them come from Oregon and California where they are used to having more terrain and more pedestrian/bike friendly activities available to them and a more "liberal" (not sure exactly what that means) populace. The ones whose outlook has improved over the years have gotten involved in some kind of community activity (volunteering, joined a gym, started a band) or taken up water related activities like fishing, kayaking, surfing, or paddleboarding. Being on the water is very peaceful and you can make it about as private as you would like. I take my kayak out and explore all around the Elizabeth River in near seclusion or launch down at chicks beach and paddle around the bay and near the bridge tunnel.

It is hard to make any other suggestions because you haven't really said what you like to do or even what side of the water you are on. HR is a big place and lifestyles can vary a lot from relatively urban to pretty rural depending on where you are.

Last edited by UHgrad; 10-19-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,616 times
Well, I sure do appreciate the replies. Yes, some people guessed correctly - I moved here from Colorado. I don't feel at odds here politically (and didn't in Colorado, either). Your replies are making me think more about what I did mean by "the people are monotonous." Maybe I'm just frustrated and it's affecting my outlook on everything. I very much miss mountains and a more diverse natural landscape. Here, I feel that it is flat land and it is like that all along the coast throughout the nearby states, too. Sometimes, I feel like I have cabin fever in an area that is 300 miles long, but never changes.

I am in VA Beach. I have found some places that I love - Back Bay is my favorite. I also picked up kayaking - actually, best purchase I made this year - just an old sit-on-top off of Craigslist, but so glad I got it. I really enjoy going to the Eastern Shore (although the bridge/tunnel toll can be a deterrent).

I don't expect to be able to use my kayak year-round, and I think that it is partly what prompted this call for help. I feel like I won't have anything to do over the winter. I really miss mountain hiking in CO. I found many places here to hike (I've been here a little over a year now), but again every place looks like every other place. I guess if anyone has any suggestions about trails with a more rugged terrain that are within an hour's ride, that would be helpful.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will take them to heart and see what I can work on to improve my experience with living here.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 AM

148 posts, read 339,885 times
I know how you feel in a way, I moved back here from Sacramento about two years ago now. Think about it though. You live in Virginia. The Appalachian mountains are only 3 to 4 hours away depending on where you're going. There is plenty to explore up and down the Appalachian corridor if you need your mountain/scenery fix. North Carolina also offers the same. If you are looking for nightlife, consider Granby street in downtown Norfolk or the Oceanfront. If those don't suit your taste, TownCenter might be able to offer you something. Since this area is so spread out, it makes it seem like there isn't anything to do because the hot spots are so separated. You also have Richmond and DC only a few hours away if you're looking for a night on the town or something (I'd lean more towards DC for that). Just throwing out some alternatives. I know in California people drive hundreds of miles sometimes to get out and enjoy the natural beauty the state has to offer. No reason you can't do that here either, Virginia has more then most people would give it credit for sometimes.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM

75 posts, read 80,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsilon View Post
I know how you feel in a way, I moved back here from Sacramento about two years ago now. Think about it though. You live in Virginia. The Appalachian mountains are only 3 to 4 hours away depending on where you're going. There is plenty to explore up and down the Appalachian corridor if you need your mountain/scenery fix. North Carolina also offers the same. If you are looking for nightlife, consider Granby street in downtown Norfolk or the Oceanfront. If those don't suit your taste, TownCenter might be able to offer you something. Since this area is so spread out, it makes it seem like there isn't anything to do because the hot spots are so separated. You also have Richmond and DC only a few hours away if you're looking for a night on the town or something (I'd lean more towards DC for that). Just throwing out some alternatives. I know in California people drive hundreds of miles sometimes to get out and enjoy the natural beauty the state has to offer. No reason you can't do that here either, Virginia has more then most people would give it credit for sometimes.

Gas prices are also lower here than out west, so the driving part isn't as expensive.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:44 PM

94 posts, read 360,842 times
Lived in the mountains, miss the mountains, but this area is pretty good too. Northwest River Park will give you that woodsy feel. Dismal Swamp (hit Lake Drummond by kayak or hike the Suffolk side), Back Bay, Mackay Island/Knotts Island, Carova Beach, camping at Hatteras - these are all great places to escape people and enjoy the outdoors. The barrier islands on the eastern shore are super isolated but a hard trip by kayak unless you plan your launch with tides. Buy a wetsuit and use your kayak year round. Winter is the best no bugs. Mountains are an easy day trip, best part is surfing in the AM and hiking or boarding in the afternoon out in the mountains, back home before midnight. Usually take 460 out of here too much trouble relying on the bridge tunnels.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 AM

6,145 posts, read 410,998 times
You obviously are a coastal bum! It depends where you grew up , and what you love. Sounds like you don't love the water or coast, so you do not see how wonderful the Chesapeake Bay and all the salt water Rivers there are like. As well as the Atlantic Ocean and a beautiful boardwalk.
But, seeing you are a person that likes the mountains and more rural places, maybe you can transfer or get a job up near Charlottesville. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area