Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm considering moving to Norfolk, Virginia after five years of living in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong, I love Atlanta, but after spending months at a time away from my residence (back to my hometown of NY to help with family members..Long story) it's becoming exhausting and frustrating. Also, the job market down there is still unbalanced and paying over $23,000.00 a year for an art school without any income (which because of the continuous travel, I'm doing classes online.. and because of the market at that time, I had to work in New York to assist tuition.) is not flying with me anymore. *sigh* I know some of you who are reading this are probably doing one of these: How remedial can my mother and I be?! Lol.

Anyways... Moving on:

I've been to Norfolk plenty of times over the course of six years and initially was supposed to relocate here from New York, but at the time of also visiting Georgia, my mother and I decided there would be a nicer place to live until April when my mother decided it would be best that we restart our lives in Norfolk. I've heard there are plenty of jobs here, especially in the field of nursing such as: CNA, RN, LPN, ect - which is the same field my mother is in. Since I am switching my major, I plan on attending a two year college at Tidewater Community College where hopefully I'll study Physical Therapy. However, in between time, I want to know aside from the nursing/medical field, is the retail or secretarial market in Norfolk just as accelerating?

I also have extended questions, so if you all can help me out, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Questions:

How is the public transportation system here? What about the driving commute?
(Atlanta in my opinion had the worst driving commute, making me afraid to even steer behind the wheel at times.)

How is the diversity here? Including attending TCC for the time being?

Where are some 'safe', convenient areas in Norfolk to live? (Nearby transits, shopping centers, churches, ect.)

Since my mother and I are renting for the time being, where are nice yet inexpensive areas to rent a home?
(From $750-$1,400.00 monthly)

How are the crime rates here?

How is the nightlife here? Also, how about any activities?

What are the benefits of living here?

And also, my mother is planning on opening a small business, selling different kinds of clothing (primarily for women) and cultural accessories - would this be a good investment for her once we relocate?

You all don't have to answer all of these questions, the most I ask is for advice when relocating or if I should relocate at all. I'm excited and a complete nervous wreck! Please help.. I'd love to read everyone's opinions.

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

275 posts, read 870,100 times
As someone sitting on a mountain of student loan debt from "pursuing his dream", I can't judge. You do have my sincere condolences though! To answer some of your questions:

How is the public transportation system here? What about the driving commute? (Atlanta in my opinion had the worst driving commute, making me afraid to even steer behind the wheel at times.)

Public transportation here SUCKS. We have a new light rail that went into effect last year, but right now it only goes through part of Norfolk. I rode MARTA when I was down there, and I can only pray "The Tide" gets anywhere close to being as efficient as MARTA...that is several years off though. The drivers are pretty aggressive here, and make some dumb moves, but I don't think it's as bad as Atlanta...damn close though hahaha!

How is the diversity here? Including attending TCC for the time being?

I personally find the area to be fairly diverse, probably due in part to the military. Everyone gets along pretty well and is generally friendly.

Where are some 'safe', convenient areas in Norfolk to live? (Nearby transits, shopping centers, churches, ect.) Since my mother and I are renting for the time being, where are nice yet inexpensive areas to rent a home? (From $750-$1,400.00 monthly)

In Norfolk, I'd pretty much suggest Ghent or downtown. It's an historic area with quite a few churches nearby. It's a little pricey, but nothing that would break the bank. You could easily find something in that range, probably closer to $1,000.

How are the crime rates here?

Depends on who you ask...some people make this place out to be the crime capital of the world, but for an area of close to 2 million, I think it's relatively low. There are pockets to watch out for obviously, and there are places I wouldn't go at night, but it's not like we live in Fallujah or anything.

How is the nightlife here? Also, how about any activities?

You coming from ATL, you might think it's "slow", but the nightlife is pretty decent. Granby Street downtown is your typical row of nightclubs and bars, and there's plenty of bars in Ghent as well. You can also find the same in Virginia Beach's Town Center. There are plenty of outdoor festivals all around...we had Wine Fest and Beer Fest in downtown Norfolk and the VB Oceanfront, respectively.

What are the benefits of living here?

I'd say the scenery and mix of cultures. You have small towns, the mid-sized cities, decent social/nightlife, beaches and parks.

All in all, don't come here expecting to get what Atlanta offers. Not that this is a bad place to live, it just doesn't in any way compare to ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area