U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

We are probably moving from the NOVA area in Springfield/Burke area to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake. My husband will work at Dam Neck naval base. Wondering what the differences are in quality of life. Is it slower pace? Schools as good?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:32 AM

25,582 posts, read 37,295,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrystine View Post
We are probably moving from the NOVA area in Springfield/Burke area to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake. My husband will work at Dam Neck naval base. Wondering what the differences are in quality of life. Is it slower pace? Schools as good?
Grew up in Hampton Roads and now live in NoVA.

VB/Chesapeake has a slower pace of life, schools are a step down but both cities have good school systems especially being larger cities, housing is a little cheaper, less racial diversity, lower wage scale, crime is higher but majority of VB or Chesapeake is safe.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM

177 posts, read 618,029 times
I have lived in both areas...Chesapeake/VB is a slower pace like The Dissenter said...

NOVA: better food/shopping diversity, bike trails, 99cent dry cleaning for men's shirts, can handle snow better than this area, storms at any time of the day

Chesapeake/VB: better water options (fishing/boating/etc), less "keeping up with the Jones" mentality, less traffic, about to be more tolls (may not apply for you depending where you live), less population density, thunderstorms tend to be in the late afternoon

Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM

251 posts, read 846,083 times
We moved from VA Beach to Nova this year-you will see a slightly slower pace, a beachy atmosphere in the summer, and schools aren't quite as good as FCPS. That being said, Virginia Beach, then Chesapeake, has some nationally ranked schools. Check out GreatSchools.org. Princess Anne, First Colonial, And Cox are all good high schools in VA Beach. There is more diversity in Hampton Roads versus Nova (not sure how much you venture into DC which is obviously more diverse). The area is smaller. But both areas are very vanilla-big box stores, chain restaurants, etc. Traffic can still be a nightmare. There is definitely less to do regarding museums, culture, night life, etc. But there is the beach!
We find it pretty similar to here. It does seem we have more parks/things to do here year round (festivals, sports, etc). But that's because of proximity to DC and the larger area as a whole.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,165,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrystine View Post
Traffic is nothing like it is in NOVA. Not as many roads, road not as wide, slower pace, more working class, more middle class. NOVA is a suburban extension of DC; albeit it high-density, etc. like most cities. Hampton Roads has its own unique character.

You won't find many high-rises in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake though. More mid-rise, low-rise, particularly in Chesapeake which doesn't have any high-rises at all though I think that may change in the near future; all depends on if that city can outgrow Virginia Beach. There is enough density to cause some serious traffic issues; we do have light rail in Norfolk that will inevitably come to Virginia Beach but I don't know where Chesapeake stands on the issue.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM

275 posts, read 822,652 times
Chesapeake does eventually want light rail...would love to see it somehow reach Greenbrier.

And no, Chesapeake doesn't have high rises, unless you count the four- or five-story buildings in Greenbrier off I-64. And I'm okay with that. I'd rather that not every city try to outdo each other with "downtowns". Although the Dollar Tree execs want to expand the area near Dollar Tree HQ and make a a "town center" there.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,165,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Chesapeake does eventually want light rail...would love to see it somehow reach Greenbrier.

And no, Chesapeake doesn't have high rises, unless you count the four- or five-story buildings in Greenbrier off I-64. And I'm okay with that. I'd rather that not every city try to outdo each other with "downtowns". Although the Dollar Tree execs want to expand the area near Dollar Tree HQ and make a a "town center" there.
First time hearing about Dollar Tree developing a town center. Didn't realize that they owned that much property in Greenbrier either. That should be interesting, I wouldn't give them any money to do it though.

I do like Aura though, it is an interesting use for that property.

Last edited by goofy328; 11-09-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area