Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM

331 posts, read 1,545,478 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask an advice from those who are familiar with beaches in and around Virginia Beach. There are several things that concern me.

-Is surf fishing popular(ora at all allowed) within the city limits?

-Are the beach and the surrounding area safe?

-Do you have to pay some sort of entrance fee to get to the beach? and is the parking free?

-Are there any safe neighborhoods within a walking/bicycling distance of the beach? If so, is it reasonable to buy a 2bed+/2bath+, 1200sq.ft+ townhome or condo there for 220K or less?

Thanks in advance for replying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,865,027 times
- Surfing is allowed, but the waves are not that great. The ECSC(East Coast Surfing Championship) is this weekend if you are in the area though.

- The North End, Croatan, Chick's, Sandbridge are all pretty safe beaches

- No entrance fee. I have never paid for parking at any of the beaches I have mentioned, but if you go to the main Oceanfront you usually have to pay for parking.

- Try Norfolk Ave. or surrounding streets at the oceanfront or Chick's beach for maybe housing in your price range. - both areas are close to the beaches and are pretty safe.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:44 AM

162 posts, read 801,964 times
For surf-fishing info you can check out this site

VIRGINIA BEACH FISHING

Old 08-25-2007, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 26,066 times
I was curious myself on the beaches in Virginia Beach - since we just moved here, we've just been going to the local beach there off of 31st (I think) - it's always packed with the tourists - I'm looking for somewhere we can go that's a bit more secluded but we won't have trouble finding. I also have 2 dogs I'd like to take with us to get them to swimming.

Any suggestions? Can you also tell me about parking, etc?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2007, 05:44 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,979,608 times
Try 84th- 89th st. at the North End of Va Beach there are beach access paths at the end of each of these roads.If you look you can usually find a parking spot within a block of the ocean. No tourists only locals. I grew up in VA Beach. We used to go to Fort Story but they closed the beach there.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM

162 posts, read 801,964 times
I think Chesapeake Beach (Chick's Beach) allows pets and is less touristy. Sandbridge may allow pets too, I'm not sure. Sandbridge Beach Guide - Virginia Beach, VA

Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,180 times
You may be more interested in Looking in the Shore Drive area. Chicks beach, Ocean Park and Lynhaven shores. It is very popular with young professionals. A little less touristy, and you will be able to walk with your dog. You may find a townhouse there around that price, but it will take some hard looking.

At virginia beach, you are less likely to be able to take the dog unless it is after hours and during the off season, but you will be more likely to find the housing you want.

You will not find the housing at Sandbridge for those prices.

Shelly

Old 09-16-2007, 12:21 PM

33 posts, read 121,014 times
Chicks Beach on the south side, Buckroe Beach on the peninsula. Free parking and few or no tourists.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM

646 posts, read 815,047 times
I remember Lynnhaven Inlet, is that the same as Chick's Beach? Lynnhaven Shores?

There are hidden spots all over even in NN with its long shore and definitely in Hampton besides Buckroe, like Grand View and several newer developments such as Sandy Bottom Nature Park.

What's those ones down General Booth Blvd, is that how you get to Croatan I recall, Pungo?

What's going on with Pungo these days, Strawberries only?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:21 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,180 times
yes, lynnhaven inlet is the same as chicks beach.

Down General Booth is how you get to Croatan (and even down to Sandbridge). and yes, general booth is how you get to Pungo. And strawberries are still very good in Pungo : ) Land is very expensive in Pungo.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area