Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,631 times

Advertisements

my husband's being transferred to HR next year. his boat will be in the portsmouth shipyards. i'm trying to figure out where we should live

we were thinking about chesapeake at first, primarily because of the excellent schools (we have children just starting) and more "country" feel (it seems to us). but i'll be going to ODU and then (i hope) EVMS, and i'd really like to be closer to the schools so that i can commute by bus (i hate dealing with commuter traffic). i've been looking at the oceanview area and was hoping to get some opinions on it. the elementary school there is decent (8/10 on greatschools.net...a little lower than chesapeake, but ok), but the middle school is pretty sad and the high school isn't what i want for my kids. i do hope they'll be willing to go to private school (i like norfolk collegiate school), but in chesapeake, public schools would be an option. public schools would not be an option in oceanview after 5th grade.

that's the biggest downside to the area i've seen. the plus side is that i'd definitely be able to ride the bus to school, and if they do go to private school, it'll be far more convenient from oceanview than from chesapeake. the house prices are also slightly lower. we can afford up to $230k if we buy, $1400 if we rent....owning is definitely preferable, though.

ok, i've rambled too much i want to hear about the area from people who are in the know, since i've never been to the HR area in my life!

oh, and i'd also like to hear opinions on the commute from oceanview to portsmouth, since my husband will be doing that.

many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,000,887 times
Oceanview?????? I was going to write this big DONT DO IT response but I wont...all I am going to say is NO...Stick with Chesapeake......But.......
If Norfolk is your choice over Chesapeake there are places in Norfolk that are much safer than Ocean View....BTW the commute from oceanview to portsmouth for your husband will totally stink as a tunnel will be involved...

Before you decide please look at the crime stats for each city...I dont have chesapeakes city web page handy but you can google it...I will attach the city of Norfolk home page......
On the main page scroll down to you see the small picture of the handcuffs and click on them, this will open up another page that will give you drop down bars letting you choose a month and a neighborhood. Oceanview is listed as East Oceanview, Bayview and West Oceanview...look at the stats yourself and then decide if you want to live there...And one more thing those stats have a little fluff to them..so really expect it to be worse than what is listed

Norfolk.gov - the official site of the City of Norfolk - Home Page

Last edited by rtandc; 10-10-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,825,223 times
There are some nice neighborhoods around Ocean View that you can check as well, like Bayview, that would work with your budget. Chesapeake is a little more expensive in terms of the cost of real estate, but is still doable. YOu can also look into western branch which will be an easier commute for your husband. Since he is in portsmouth, regardless of whether you live in Norfolk or Chesepeake, he will have to go through a tunnel. Unless you want to live in Portsmouth or Suffolk. And then you would have to do a tunnel to norfolk.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Shelly

Old 10-11-2007, 10:40 AM

thank you for that link. it's very helpful! I'd heard the area had improved a lot, but I guess not And one of us will have to use a tunnel. Where we live now, I spend 2 hours a day on the road, so it's his turn for a crappy commute

I'd just like to find a nice, safe, affordable neighborhood inside Norfolk city limits. Might be too much to ask

Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
There are some nice neighborhoods around Ocean View that you can check as well, like Bayview, that would work with your budget. Chesapeake is a little more expensive in terms of the cost of real estate, but is still doable. YOu can also look into western branch which will be an easier commute for your husband. Since he is in portsmouth, regardless of whether you live in Norfolk or Chesepeake, he will have to go through a tunnel. Unless you want to live in Portsmouth or Suffolk. And then you would have to do a tunnel to norfolk.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Shelly
Where is Western Branch? thanks for the input

Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM

it is in Western Chesapeake area. not deep creek. It is closer to Portsmouth, but still with good access to Norfolk.

shelly

Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM

ok, i'm looking at http://www.chesapeake.va.us/services...r/2007_sep.pdf

and
City of Chesapeake, Virginia - Police Department - Police Beat Maps

and i don't see where chesapeake is any better than most areas of norfolk. looking at all of this stuff is making me want to go live under a rock =p

Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 PM

ambyrle, you have to put the crime isse into perspective. for the amount of folks we have in this area, it really isn't a large amount. Of course any amount is a large amount, but it into perspective.

I remember having a richmond police officer come and do a safety seminar for our company in Richmond VA back in the late 80's, and Richmond was one of the highest murder cities per capita in the US. He said, "most of our crime is centered around drugs and domestic violence. If you aren't a criminal doing drugs and you aren't practicing domestic violence, you probably won't experience the major issues" He was right.

Same is true of anywhere you go. Like anyplace, you have to be aware of your surroundings, you have to take precautions, and you live your life. don't be afraid by what you read. Remember, if it bleeds, it leads (old newspaper adage).

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area