U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 PM

35 posts, read 105,694 times

Advertisements

Folks,
Told you so. I've always hated this area with a passion and disgusted with
the vulgarity, grit, tackiness, parochial trashiness, hick-like conservatism, etc. that punctuate a way of life in this place. Its for these and many other reasons that Norfolk got booted to the bottom of the list in the Forbes ranking. Gotta luv it!

Also note in this list, that the better places tend to be more "Democrat", forward-looking, progressive, modern, world cities and quite simply "cool". The "crappier" places or bottom lickers are all red republi-trash cities; true great American wastelands LOL........

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Some excerpts:
"...That's because New York City tops our list as the No. 1 city for young professionals.

That likely comes as a shock to, well, no one. Many of America's best companies, as determined by Forbes rankings of the best 400 big businesses and best 200 small businesses, including financial giant Goldman Sachs (nyse: GS - news - people ) and media conglomerate News Corp. (nyse: NWS - news - people ) are in New York. Throw in New York's bars, clubs and world-class dining, and you get a city teeming with young professionals.

San Francisco clocked in at No. 2 and Atlanta at No. 3. Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Boston and Seattle filled spots four through seven, and Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Denver closed out the top 10."

THIS IS THE BEST PART....
The bottom 10 cities were brought down by a variety of causes. Salary to cost of living submarined Miami, Norfolk, Va., and San Antonio. The inability to attract top grads and top companies hurt Detroit and Las Vegas, and all our measurements converged on Tampa, Fla., beating it down to last place on our list."

God bless Norfolk....my home sweeeeeet home!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 PM

361 posts, read 1,387,596 times
whatever...those lists are largely subjective. On one list, Norfolk metro is near the bottom for whatever reason, and on another it is ranked highly for business expansion....leave the area if you dont like it

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM

121 posts, read 441,012 times
As liberal as I am, and as much as the conservatism in this area chafes me a bit, I find it infantile, unnecessary, and pointless to insult this area in such a manner. We've been on the top of as many forbes lists as we've been on the bottom believe it or not. Usually in the top 50. That said, the fact that we share such company with Miami, hardly the bastion of conservative values, shows that your theory of what makes a city great or not is skewed on this point. Again, you find no bible thumping republican on this keyboard, but lets look at the real reasons Norfolk ranks at the bottom (of which there are many).

Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,617,189 times
I dont think those findings will surprise anyone that lives in the area, we all know Norfolk has major problems...that is why many of the people that post on this forum live outside of Norfolk in the surrounding cities......but at the same time I dont wish to live in any of the cities that made the top ten either

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM

361 posts, read 1,387,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I dont think those findings will surprise anyone that lives in the area, we all know Norfolk has major problems...that is why many of the people that post on this forum live outside of Norfolk in the surrounding cities......but at the same time I dont wish to live in any of the cities that made the top ten either
I think when they say Norfolk, they mean the entire metro area

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I think when they say Norfolk, they mean the entire metro area
That may or may not be true, the link to this story only list the city of Norfolk and does not state the Hampton Roads area as a whole

Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM

121 posts, read 441,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
That may or may not be true, the link to this story only list the city of Norfolk and does not state the Hampton Roads area as a whole
You may be right about this. Usually Forbes does its ranking by metro area, but after clicking on the Norfolk link in the article it does appear that they're referring specifically to Norfolk.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdogg View Post
You may be right about this. Usually Forbes does its ranking by metro area, but after clicking on the Norfolk link in the article it does appear that they're referring specifically to Norfolk.
I realy dont think it matters much though LOL
Because as a metro are we would most likely be listed last too

Old 10-13-2007, 08:42 PM

23 posts, read 119,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoot View Post
Folks,
Told you so. I've always hated this area with a passion and disgusted with
the vulgarity, grit, tackiness, parochial trashiness, hick-like conservatism, etc. that punctuate a way of life in this place. Its for these and many other reasons that Norfolk got booted to the bottom of the list in the Forbes ranking. Gotta luv it!

Also note in this list, that the better places tend to be more "Democrat", forward-looking, progressive, modern, world cities and quite simply "cool". The "crappier" places or bottom lickers are all red republi-trash cities; true great American wastelands LOL........

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Some excerpts:
"...That's because New York City tops our list as the No. 1 city for young professionals.

That likely comes as a shock to, well, no one. Many of America's best companies, as determined by Forbes rankings of the best 400 big businesses and best 200 small businesses, including financial giant Goldman Sachs (nyse: GS - news - people ) and media conglomerate News Corp. (nyse: NWS - news - people ) are in New York. Throw in New York's bars, clubs and world-class dining, and you get a city teeming with young professionals.

San Francisco clocked in at No. 2 and Atlanta at No. 3. Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Boston and Seattle filled spots four through seven, and Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Denver closed out the top 10."

THIS IS THE BEST PART....
The bottom 10 cities were brought down by a variety of causes. Salary to cost of living submarined Miami, Norfolk, Va., and San Antonio. The inability to attract top grads and top companies hurt Detroit and Las Vegas, and all our measurements converged on Tampa, Fla., beating it down to last place on our list."

God bless Norfolk....my home sweeeeeet home!
Well, I must say that the initial post was, well, poignant to say the least, and I do agree with it immensely. However, let it be known that just because a particular location is infested with democrats does not necessarily make it a good place to live. Prime example: the results of the last presidential election. The city of Norfolk, with all 56 precincts being counted, voted largely in favor of Senator Kerry (42,979 votes). Bush only walked away with 26,156 votes. The trend pretty much repeats for the vast majority of the cities listed in the Forbes poll (by the way, my information came from USAToday). You also failed to mention the fact that those top ten cities...were only ten out of FORTY...that really isn't saying much. Also, I assume that you are a young business professional, so naturally the poll applies to you. Take a look at a number of other polls and take other factors into consideration, and beloved places such as NYC and Boston become the "bottom feeders." Here's the bottom line: I agree that Norfolk and the entire Hampton Roads area leaves very little to be desired, but your data is weak and only applies to a certain group of people. I'm not sure of what your profession is, but if you are not attached to the Armed Forces, then I suggest you get the hell out of dodge and go find your own utopia. As soon as I was able to, I made tracks out of the area and I couldn't be any happier. So instead of whining so much and throwing out weak insults, just pack up and leave and do yourself and the citizens of Norfolk a favor.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 AM

131 posts, read 418,044 times
Default left 10+ years ago.....

Hey, I left Norfolk area over 10 years ago.....moved to Raleigh, NC, now in GA. Every area has it's problems. There are great areas in Raleigh, and not so great areas, great jobs and tons of layoffs.

Same in GA, where i'm living now (Camden County near FL border), a great job is $12.00 an hour but the cost of living is crazy high here. In Atlanta, the commute to great jobs is a total nightmare.

It is truly a life's quest to find a great job, a nice area, and affordable daycare as you age. What is acceptable at 25 is not acceptable at 35, so be careful where you plant roots....(ie. buy a house, have kids). It's hard to sell homes now, start over again, and find great daycares.

And that's in ANY metro area.....

But i will say THIS about where I am now (35 miles outside of Jacksonville, FL): The commute to a real job in Jacksonville is HELL (2 lanes on I 95 into Jacksonville, road construction won't be complete for another 10 years....), the crime rate is shocking in Jacksonville, at least one murder every day, sometimes four or five, which pushes people out to Camden County, GA.

Great school systems here in SE Georgia, homes in $200K+ range are about 1,600-1,700 sq ft. 1/4 acre. IF you can take the commute to Jacksonville to make the money to pay for one of these homes, or IF you are retired military, get a decent pension, and work another job....then you can make it in Southeast GA. This is NOT a place for singles and is an absolute NIGHTMARE for single parents and people without support systems. I work for a domestic violence shelter here and work closely with single parents every day. I also work with the social services system here, and they are an absolute nightmare. This is a totally political town, small town USA, who you know, not what you know. I have several friends with master's degrees who are making $12.00 an hour here.

There is also nOthing in the budget here for subsidized homes, subsidized daycare is a joke. The healthcare seriously lacking here (everyone is sent down to Jacksonville for healthcare if it's more than an ear infection). I would never have a baby in a hospital here, nor would i ever have any type of surgery here. I would also never live in Jacksonville unless I was filthy rich and could afford one of the $600K homes that would place you in a "better" neighborhood.

Downtown Jacksonville is very pretty, but that's where it ends. Orange Park, FL, a suburb of Jacksonville, is an overcrowded mess, and it can take you an hour to travel 9 stoplights on the main drag on a Saturday. The yards are about .152 of an acre, and the school systems suck. That's why little places like Camden County are growing, b/c people want out of the metro Jacksonville area with the overpriced real estate, high property taxes, and expensive cost of living.

Just to give you a preview of life outside Norfolk....:-)

Last edited by bleighorr; 10-16-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area