U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,734 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a civilian position at Langley AFB & am relocating from Northern NJ to Virginia. I have 2 small children ages 5 & 7 and was looking to move to an area with a great school system. Williamsburg-JCC & York Co seem to be the best areas. Is Williamsburg really the best choice? We live in a town with a 5 star school system & are rated in the top 100 for the state. My 2nd grader is in his 2nd school and I would like to settle in a place where he will not need to change school systems again. I want to make sure this move will be our last. I am also a pretty young parent and often feel unwelcome by the class parents here in Jersey hopefully Williamsburg also offers some more comfort and a younger parent population? I feel like I have done so much research but I want to make sure we don't end up in a home in a bad area. We currently are looking at a home in the Poplar Hall section just 2miles from Busch Gardens. I grew up in a small town and would rather my kids grow up in a bigger school system and bigger city area but with a quiet and local feel to it. We have friends in Warrenton Va and while I love the area 3hours commuting to work wouldn't happen. We also like being near the beach so the Peninsula seems to be all the things we like. Any help or suggestions of things to do and places to check out would be great thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,604,737 times
We faced a similar decision years ago when we contemplated a movie from Maryland to Williamsburg.. now with 1 son in high school and 1 in middle school we are extremely happy we made the move. We've been here 9 years going on 10 and feel the combination of good schools ,small town atmosphere quality of life sports ,recreation, proximity to everything and friendly neighbors

Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 PM

As for neighborhood quality , You get what you pay 4. the average home price in the area is around 300,000. For a detached home. What you're looking at I'm sure is far below that. with interest rates so low I would buy the most expensive home I could with a comfortable house payment. If that makes sense. I'm not saying to go into the Pour House but home prices here under 400 K have already hit bottom Manor inching backup. interest rate will never be the slow again so if you can afford it now is the time. so long as you plan on being there a long time. what price range are you considering ? I'd be happy to make suggestions based on your response
and again please excuse any typos I'm doing this on my phone using google voice which doesn't always translate correctly

Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,162,155 times
The WJCC schools are highly regarded. York county are too, possibly closer to WJCC since budget cuts. James River is a title 1 school, but they have the IB program and people can choose to go there. A realtor may not discuss merits of different schools with you, so ask around. In general, the area of W'burg closer to NN is lower socioeconomic. I would there and drive around, because each subdivision has its own feel depending if it was developed in the 60s, 80s or recently, and very few are snobby (only the gated ones as far as I can tell).

Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,734 times
Thanks for your responses. Weve hit a roadblock now and cant buy until next year. Due to my job I have to be down there this week and am literally staying at a hotel until we can get a rental... this move is turning into a headache... but I cant tell you enough to excited I am to move to Virginia... New Jersey is beginning to drive me crazy!! Mr Williamsburg, your website became my favorite page as soon as I started this research into moving process! I thank you so much for all the valuable information you provide both here and there...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM

368 posts, read 893,341 times
Nikki, I'm originally from upstate NY--we love living in VA! Williamsburg is a lovely area with (from what I understand) good schools. When we first moved here, we considered moving to Williamsburg, but, since my husband was working in Newport News, we didn't want to deal with commuting in. Have you considered the commuting time into Langley? It's not a ridiculous commute (we lived in CA for awhile, so we know ridiculous commutes ), but 64 can get really backed up and there are very good school districts that are closer and would cut down on your commuting time. Poquoson is supposed to have excellent schools and it's very close to Langley. Also, the Tabb section of York County has good schools and is an easy commute in.

Like I said, we really like living here, and you definitely can't go wrong living in Williamsburg (which is very nice); but, there are also good school options that might just be a little more convenient for you.

Last edited by artistatheart; 11-28-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM

Nikki, I am guessing from your question about Poplar Hall that you are seeking a home for less than $200k . Its hard to find something most would be happy with in that price range in York Co or Poquoson. Move up a little and there are a few.

For what its worth, most of the AF folks I work with choose York Co overwhelmingly..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,774 times
I would also love some informaton on Williamsburg! We are considering a move to Williamsburg, with a possible job transfer to Langly AFB from Central Florida. We have a 6 and 3 year old so definitely quality schools are my biggest priority.

Any moms here on this site that post regularly? I will need to find quality childcare for my oldest (before and after school, if the elementary schools do not provide it, as they do where they attend now) as well as my 3 year old. We are in a Church preschool facility currently that is absolutely the BEST and has bus transportation to our elementary school. Would definitely love to find a simialr place n the Williamsburg area!!!!

I do not want a horribly long commute as I'd like to have the ability to continue volunteering at the school and geing very engaged with their education. I love the beautiful scenery and surroundings of Williamsburg. Have been browsing Realtor.com for rentals and am just not sure what is the best area to settle. Ideally, would like to purchase a home after about a year or so of renting with in law quaters, as my mom will be moving up with us eventually.

Any info is GREATLY appreciated! The only aspect of moving that really concerns me is finding QUALITY childcare for my children.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM

WISC ( Williamsburg Indoor Sports Complex) runs a sports centered before and after program with transportation provided to and from the following schools: Clara Byrd Baker, DJ Montague, J. Blaine Blayton, James River, Matoaka, Matthew Whaley, Norge, Rawls Byrd, Stonehouse, Waller Mill & Williamsburg Christian Academy.

The Program is for children grades Kindergarten through 5th. Kids participate in a variety of activities such as: Basketball, Soccer, Dodge ball, Kickball, T-Ball, Relay Races, Arts & Crafts, Dance and more. There is also a Homework Room available with staff to assist your child in their studies

James City County Parks and Rec runs a before an after school program at all of the Elem Schools and one of the middle schools. Parks & Recreation REC Connect

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM

For a shorter commute you should look at Grafton/Tabb area of York County...That is where the majority of AF buyers I work with choose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area