Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,606,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
This isn't accurate because the majority of people on that list do not live in HR which is the subject at hand.
I think my post is relevant to what they OP was asking... they obviously lived here at some point, they probably still have family and property in the area but also live where their jobs are now. So if they are baseball players that play in Colorado then they probably also have a house in Colorado. If they are actors that work in L.A. then they probably also have a house in L.A. If they are musicians that record in Miami then they probably have a house in Miami. If they are gymnasts that train in Iowa then they probably also have a place in Iowa.

Since we don't have movie studios, major league sports, and are not a recording mecca your criticism seems kind of pointless. They might not live here year round while they are working elsewhere but this is still home for many of them and they spend their off time here. And do you know for a fact that the majority of those people do not live here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I think my post is relevant to what they OP was asking... they obviously lived here at some point, they probably still have family and property in the area but also live where their jobs are now. So if they are baseball players that play in Colorado then they probably also have a house in Colorado. If they are actors that work in L.A. then they probably also have a house in L.A. If they are musicians that record in Miami then they probably have a house in Miami. If they are gymnasts that train in Iowa then they probably also have a place in Iowa.

Since we don't have movie studios, major league sports, and are not a recording mecca your criticism seems kind of pointless. They might not live here year round while they are working elsewhere but this is still home for many of them and they spend their off time here. And do you know for a fact that the majority of those people do not live here?
No, it really isn't. He asked: "which celebrities live in the tidewater area of Virginia."

You're making an awfully big assumption that just because they were here at some point they still have family here and/or property.

Derek Jeter lived for a short time in my town in NJ. That doesn't mean he has family there, owns land there or visits there.

To say this is home for many of them and that they spend their off time here is completely unfounded. Most of the people on the list aren't even celebrities (or even real people for that matter, ex) Mr. Peanut. Really?)

Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 12,660 times
Nope. No one I would consider a celebrity lives here. There is nothing here for them really. Its a military town nothing more nothing less. I think there are some folks here that think they are special but its only in their little clique.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
No, it really isn't. He asked: "which celebrities live in the tidewater area of Virginia."

You're making an awfully big assumption that just because they were here at some point they still have family here and/or property.

Derek Jeter lived for a short time in my town in NJ. That doesn't mean he has family there, owns land there or visits there.

To say this is home for many of them and that they spend their off time here is completely unfounded. Most of the people on the list aren't even celebrities (or even real people for that matter, ex) Mr. Peanut. Really?)
Was Derek Jeter born and raised in your town in Jersey? Do his parents live there and are they involved in that community? I really don't see that as an apples to apples comparison for someone like David Wright who works in NY and therefore has a house in NY but is from Chesapeake and still spends much of the offseason here.

Many do spend their off time here or still reside here, David Wright (from Chesapeake) is in town right now doing a charity event in Portsmouth and I believe still lives here in the off season, Michael Cuddyers wife teaches at Hickory and they live in Chesapeake, I just saw Plaxico Burress at the airport a few weeks ago, Sweetpea Whittaker lived (not sure if he still does) in Bellamy Woods down the street from my friends parents in VB, Lawrence Taylor does charity golf tournaments here and still has a place in VB... I could go on but I am not running some program on the E network and really don't care to look it up, those are just the ones I have seen recently or know for a fact.

And I never implied that everyone on that list is a celebrity or currently here, I assumed that folks like yourself would have the ability to look at the list and make educated guesses from the ages and professions of the people whether or not they might still live here and then do the additional research (once a narrowed list was developed) to find out if they do... perhaps I gave you too much credit. Clearly Ella Fitzgerald does not still live here, I figured that was obvious. Clearly Mr Peanut is not real, I thought that was obvious. I really didn't think this needed to be spoonfed, perhaps teaching college kids has left me with an unrealistic expectation of the average persons critical thinking abilities and I need to simplify a bit when I am talking to you on here. I just said that Wikipedia has done the work already so that could be used as a reference, no need to reinvent the wheel when the list is a great starting point.

I honestly could care less about celebrities anyway, it is kind of pointless but people's unnecessary need to turn this simple thread into a HR bashing session just pisses me off so I am sticking up for the area. This is not Hollywood, but it is a hotbed for professional athletes and influential musicians when you look on a per capita basis. Facts are facts.

Last edited by UHgrad; 01-06-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
And I never implied that everyone on that list is a celebrity or currently here, I assumed that folks like yourself would have the ability to look at the list and make educated guesses from the ages and professions of the people whether or not they might still live here and then do the additional research (once a narrowed list was developed) to find out if they do... perhaps I gave you too much credit. Clearly Ella Fitzgerald does not still live here, I figured that was obvious. Clearly Mr Peanut is not real, I thought that was obvious. I really didn't think this needed to be spoonfed, perhaps teaching college kids has left me with an unrealistic expectation of the average persons critical thinking abilities and I need to simplify a bit when I am talking to you on here. I just said that Wikipedia has done the work already so that could be used as a reference, no need to reinvent the wheel when the list is a great starting point.
Do you not realize that every post is still available to read?? You can't say one thing and then claim just a few posts later that you never said or implied something when you clearly did! What are we in, crazy town??

You said:

Quote:
You would be amazed how many celebrities, particularly professional athletes and musicians, are from the area. Wikipedia has done the work for us so no sense I list it. Given the size of our population, I would say we disproportionately represented in this regard nationally.
And now you're claiming:

Quote:
And I never implied that everyone on that list is a celebrity or currently here, I assumed that folks like yourself would have the ability to look at the list and make educated guesses from the ages and professions of the people whether or not they might still live here and then do the additional research (once a narrowed list was developed) to find out if they do.
I'm not sure where you're teaching, but if you're allowing students to continually contradict themselves like you do on here then that's a serious problem. Not only that but to just give a Wikipedia link and call it a day is completely unacceptable. If you truly are teaching in higher ed that would greatly surprise me.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Do you not realize that every post is still available to read?? You can't say one thing and then claim just a few posts later that you never said or implied something when you clearly did! What are we in, crazy town??

You said:

And now you're claiming:

I'm not sure where you're teaching, but if you're allowing students to continually contradict themselves like you do on here then that's a serious problem. Not only that but to just give a Wikipedia link and call it a day is completely unacceptable. If you truly are teaching in higher ed that would greatly surprise me.
I said FROM THE AREA, you quoted it... Wikipedia tells you if they are from the area or what their connection to the area is. If the person is dead, they probably don't live here currently. I figured that was obvious. If the person is a cartoon, they probably don't live here currently. I figured that was obvious. If the person is 28 and went to high school in the area then there is a good chance they live here in some capacity so that one is worth a look if you care enough to find out.

Are you incapable of reading a set of data and picking out the useful data points? Once again, I'm not sure what to say. You are really grabbing at straws at this point. The fact that you can quote me and then disregard what you just quoted really makes me wonder what point there is debating with you.

The top of the Wikipedia article says:

"This is a list of important people and celebrities that were either born in or have lived in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, United States."

how is that not relevant to a thread about celebrities that live in an area? Is this a joke? Is this "punked" for the internet where you are gonna jump out and post that you have been messing with people for the last few years while doing research for a book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area