Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,288,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
I recently became aware of a job opportunity in the va beach area, and I am giving it some consideration. I am currently working in the DC area. I've been to va beach a few times, but only as a tourist. I've heard it's a big military town, a lot of single professionals leave and the ones who stay are cliquey and not really into being friends with outsiders. So how is life in va beach? Will I be able to meet friends outside of work? I'm really into music and love going to concerts, How is va beach for that? I also do MMA, so I would need to look around for a gym to train in, but I heard they are a lot. How is the restaurant and food industry - lots of good seafood? Is va beach relaxing? Are there other singles looking to mingle? Where do they hang out? Any info is greatly appreciated! Also - In your opinion, Where do all the college graduates work in va beach, or do they all leave?

Thanks.
In general, Hampton Roads offers:

-A slow pace of life
-A family atmosphere
-Suburban development
-Chain shopping/dining
-Limited entertainment options
-Bad transit

Just to name a few things. I would stay far away if I were you. It is very cliquey and the singles scene is dismal.

Most of the grads leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Va Beach is one of the best places to be for a single. Yes, I have a gf, but her brother is single and we hang out with him and his friends a lot. And, you will not be hurting for attractive singles to meet.

There is a great live music scene with places like The Norva to see great bands and the Ampitheater. They have pro sports. The beach is awesome. The local sports scene for adult leagues is great. Check out the Virginia Beach Field House for an example.

There are a number of cross fit gyms in town. A number of awesome restaurants. I could go on.
I don't know if there's another city named Virginia Beach somewhere else in the world but if you're describing the Virginia Beach located in SE VA I have to ask what you're talking about.

This area is dismal for single people. People can disagree about a lot but you will be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks this area is great for singles, especially single men.

There is no pro sports team in Virginia Beach or Hampton Roads.

It seems like you said you're 42 so perhaps at this point in life you're looking for that slow atmosphere and maybe want to start a family, but considering the OP sounds like a 20-something with no family plans for the near future, suggesting that he come here is simply not guiding him in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM

141 posts, read 277,598 times
Cool. I'll check out Town Center.

Yea, I'm 26, not looking to start a family.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM

228 posts, read 598,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
In general, Hampton Roads offers:

-A slow pace of life
-A family atmosphere
-Suburban development
-Chain shopping/dining
-Limited entertainment options
-Bad transit

Just to name a few things. I would stay far away if I were you. It is very cliquey and the singles scene is dismal.

Most of the grads leave.

I don't know if there's another city named Virginia Beach somewhere else in the world but if you're describing the Virginia Beach located in SE VA I have to ask what you're talking about.

This area is dismal for single people. People can disagree about a lot but you will be hard pressed to find anyone that thinks this area is great for singles, especially single men.

There is no pro sports team in Virginia Beach or Hampton Roads.

It seems like you said you're 42 so perhaps at this point in life you're looking for that slow atmosphere and maybe want to start a family, but considering the OP sounds like a 20-something with no family plans for the near future, suggesting that he come here is simply not guiding him in the right direction.
I guess everything is relative to where you have been and what your experience is...for example, work took me to a town of 8,000 in the mountains of Maryland...minutes from WV and PA...talk about dismal for single people, with no arts, no sports, etc....I have a ton of single friends in the Hampton Roads area...and, I don't understand how you can say it has limited entertainment options...please move to Frostburg, MD where I am now and then let's talk about limited entertainment options...

And, the Norfolk Admirals and Norfolk Tides are professional sports teams. And work is being done right now to hopefully bring the Sacramento Kings to the area...incidentally, the Norfolk Admirals won the Calder Cup this past year...the highest honor in AHL.

So, I think if OP gets in with the right people, he would have a great time.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
I guess everything is relative to where you have been and what your experience is...for example, work took me to a town of 8,000 in the mountains of Maryland...minutes from WV and PA...talk about dismal for single people, with no arts, no sports, etc....I have a ton of single friends in the Hampton Roads area...and, I don't understand how you can say it has limited entertainment options...please move to Frostburg, MD where I am now and then let's talk about limited entertainment options...

And, the Norfolk Admirals and Norfolk Tides are professional sports teams. And work is being done right now to hopefully bring the Sacramento Kings to the area...incidentally, the Norfolk Admirals won the Calder Cup this past year...the highest honor in AHL.

So, I think if OP gets in with the right people, he would have a great time.
Fair enough. But the OP isn't coming from Frostburg, MD, he's coming from Washington DC. For you Hampton Roads is a step up, whereas for him it would be a step down.

When most people are talking about pro sports they're usually talking about the major leagues, not the minor leagues.

At 26 I simply cannot recommend or fathom why anyone would choose to move here unless of course like I said, you're on your way to having 2.5 kids, a white picket fence, mini van, dinner at 6 PM nightly and church every Sunday morning, because that's the bulk of Hampton Roads residents.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM

228 posts, read 598,662 times
Quote:
Fair enough. But the OP isn't coming from Frostburg, MD, he's coming from Washington DC. For you Hampton Roads is a step up, whereas for him it would be a step down.

When most people are talking about pro sports they're usually talking about the major leagues, not the minor leagues.

At 26 I simply cannot recommend or fathom why anyone would choose to move here unless of course like I said, you're on your way to having 2.5 kids, a white picket fence, mini van, dinner at 6 PM nightly and church every Sunday morning, because that's the bulk of Hampton Roads residents.
Fair enough Coconut1 - I think we may have to agree to disagree, which I am fine with.

I DO see your point about DC vs. Hampton Roads. I have lived in Philly, Tampa, outside of NYC...and obviously, they have a lot going on compared to H Roads.

I guess I just lucked out with my group of friends in H Roads. And, we are far from interested in mini vans. :-) That was the point I was trying to make to OP...sure, you are right it is no DC...but, and maybe I was lucky to break into the right clique...but, man we have loads of fun...and, we know how to have a good time...But, heck, where I am now (thank God I move this weekend to Norfolk!!!) but, this sorry area does not even have a Starbucks, WaWa, Target, etc...so, for me, H Roads right now is the flipping promised land. :-)

Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,394,996 times
Hey man, I grew up in Virginia Beach and am a native of VB living farther south. I miss it there, and still think it is a great place with the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. A great Boardwalk for biking or walking. Many really nice Parks. Many good churches if you want to meet nice people instead of bars. There are plenty of bars though. It is a cool place for single or married people. It depends what you do within any city on the type of people you are going to meet. You can join the Young Single Professionals, or go to a church and join a singles group, or go to a bar every night. It depends who you want to meet.
It sounds like RunningNorm tells it like it is, and is very positive about Tidewater. I might even be moving back myself.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Hey man, I grew up in Virginia Beach and am a native of VB living farther south. I miss it there, and still think it is a great place with the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. A great Boardwalk for biking or walking. Many really nice Parks. Many good churches if you want to meet nice people instead of bars. There are plenty of bars though. It is a cool place for single or married people. It depends what you do within any city on the type of people you are going to meet. You can join the Young Single Professionals, or go to a church and join a singles group, or go to a bar every night. It depends who you want to meet.
It sounds like RunningNorm tells it like it is, and is very positive about Tidewater. I might even be moving back myself.
Oooohhh! Church! How exciting!

Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Oooohhh! Church! How exciting!

Sorry Coconut1, I remember , you are somebody that doesn't like the church.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:14 AM

It has nothing to do with that... he's a young 26 year old single male. Who's he going to meet in church?! Although there are some young people around his age, churches are primarily made up of seniors and middle aged people with kids. Unless he's looking for a cougar I don't see who he's going to be picking up in church, friends or otherwise.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with that... he's a young 26 year old single male. Who's he going to meet in church?! Although there are some young people around his age, churches are primarily made up of seniors and middle aged people with kids. Unless he's looking for a cougar I don't see who he's going to be picking up in church, friends or otherwise.
If, he is Christian, there are plenty of singles groups that do activities. Groups of singles in 20's, 30's, 40's , they break down each age group. I was in singles group at my church before I married. Very good friends, I still have friends from my church in VB, that I visit and keep in touch with 11 years after moving away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area