Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM

141 posts, read 277,321 times

Advertisements

I recently became aware of a job opportunity in the va beach area, and I am giving it some consideration. I am currently working in the DC area. I've been to va beach a few times, but only as a tourist. I've heard it's a big military town, a lot of single professionals leave and the ones who stay are cliquey and not really into being friends with outsiders. So how is life in va beach? Will I be able to meet friends outside of work? I'm really into music and love going to concerts, How is va beach for that? I also do MMA, so I would need to look around for a gym to train in, but I heard they are a lot. How is the restaurant and food industry - lots of good seafood? Is va beach relaxing? Are there other singles looking to mingle? Where do they hang out? Any info is greatly appreciated! Also - In your opinion, Where do all the college graduates work in va beach, or do they all leave?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM

228 posts, read 597,947 times
Hi, I am actually moving next weekend to Va Beach. I have been visiting there now the past six years to visit my girlfriend, her family, and their friends. And, I can say Va Beach is one of the best places to be for a single. Yes, I have a gf, but her brother is single and we hang out with him and his friends a lot. And, you will not be hurting for attractive singles to meet.

There is a great live music scene with places like The Norva to see great bands and the Ampitheater. They have pro sports. The beach is awesome. The local sports scene for adult leagues is great. Check out the Virginia Beach Field House for an example.

There are a number of cross fit gyms in town. A number of awesome restaurants. I could go on.

But, put it this way, I have been trying to find a job and move to the beach for years since I saw it...I am glad to be moving there...you will be too.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM

Was thinking more about this today. Here is a link to downtown Norfolk...talk about great things to do:

Downtown After Dark - Downtown Norfolk

I enjoy Va Beach...but, if you want to chill at the beach look to the other beaches around the area....we have found some really quiet beaches that way. We love to go ocean kayaking and fishing.

And as far as the music scene, one of the coolest guys to see play is Mike Federali...here is his twitter https://twitter.com/mikefederali

But, he is a local singer, songwriter amongst other skills...but, he plays locally and the crowd that comes out for his shows is young and pretty cool...am thinking you would meet some good people that way.

I have been to some good fish places in the area, but I am a BBQ fan myself and none better, IMO, than Welcome to Whitner's Barbeque

I could go on...good luck in your move!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,384,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post
I recently became aware of a job opportunity in the va beach area, and I am giving it some consideration. I am currently working in the DC area. I've been to va beach a few times, but only as a tourist. I've heard it's a big military town, a lot of single professionals leave and the ones who stay are cliquey and not really into being friends with outsiders. So how is life in va beach? Will I be able to meet friends outside of work? I'm really into music and love going to concerts, How is va beach for that? I also do MMA, so I would need to look around for a gym to train in, but I heard they are a lot. How is the restaurant and food industry - lots of good seafood? Is va beach relaxing? Are there other singles looking to mingle? Where do they hang out? Any info is greatly appreciated! Also - In your opinion, Where do all the college graduates work in va beach, or do they all leave?

Thanks.
Welcome to Hampton Roads. This is a smaller metro, anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of what you're used to in DC, so fewer people, bigger area. Bring a car with you. Public transporation isn't what you're accoustomed to in DC. I've moved here from Ohio, I like it, slower pace, friendlier people, etc.

it is a bigger military town; more bases than anywhere else, etc. but there is far more than just the military here. If single professional leave, it might be for DC or other areas where they can make more money. You won't need as much money here as you do in DC, but you probably will not make as much either.

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to make friends out of work unless all you do is work, same as anywhere else. Sure, work is the easiest place to make friends, so you have to push to have a life outside of work.

I do find the beach relaxing, even the Oceanfront. The Oceanfront is the large, tourist beach in Virginia Beach where you have to pay to park, with all of the hotels, etc. There are smaller, more intimate beaches in Norfolk, Hampton, etc. It is still a large area though, so its hard to overgeneralize and just say that all of the graduates leave. There are a lot of schools here in this area.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

42 posts, read 135,678 times
Many of the people I grew up with left the area the first chance they had to do so.

This area is great if you want to raise a family and you don't care too much for culture. The huge military influx and "clique-like" attitude of the locals makes it difficult to find friends.

You're in luck if you want to train in MMA. There's a great BJJ school in VB.

The nightlife in VB is not great, but the nightlife in Norfolk isn't half bad.

You're coming from the DC area though, so this place might be 20 steps in the wrong direction.

So, in your situation:

Pros
Cheaper cost of living
Nicer weather

Cons
More family oriented
less of an urban lifestyle(could be a pro)
not as much culture
less young people

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM

26,677 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by govmoneynvegas View Post

Thanks.
I'm a college grad (24 years old) living in Arlington but grew up in the general area. Most of my peers who graduate college in Hampton Roads leave for other cities in pursuit of jobs, which there aren't that many in HR. However I have a couple of friends who wanted to stay in HR and have been able to find gainful employment.

If you want a good single professional life I'd stick with Norfolk next door since the other cities there are mostly family-oriented. Pace of life is much slower than DC.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:47 PM

141 posts, read 277,321 times
Any good part of Norfolk or Va Beach that have good night life? Any club/bar recommendations? Areas? I might be going to visit a friend over the weekend there, would like to check it out.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM

275 posts, read 867,437 times
In Norfolk, Ghent is pretty nice. Eclectic environment, and quite a few options along Colley Avenue. Downtown has a few bars off Granby Street, but it's hit or miss I guess depending on the night.

A lot of people go to Town Center in Virginia Beach. That's usually pretty busy, especially on weekends.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

42 posts, read 135,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
In Norfolk, Ghent is pretty nice. Eclectic environment, and quite a few options along Colley Avenue. Downtown has a few bars off Granby Street, but it's hit or miss I guess depending on the night.

A lot of people go to Town Center in Virginia Beach. That's usually pretty busy, especially on weekends.
For outsiders, your best bet would be Town Center in Virginia Beach. Ghent is more geared towards the locals.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Quickest way to become an insider is to hang out with the right locals...like I said earlier...keep your eyes out for Mike Federali playing a show and come on out. Get involved in whatever gym you pick. Get involved at the Va Beach Field House. Come on out and play adult sports leagues. If you do church, get involved in one. Come on out and play disc golf at Bayville or Munden Point. Become a regular at a local restaurant and get to know the owner. Volunteer to help out with a local theater or humane society...etc.

I will soon be moving for the 25th time in 42 year. It is all about getting out there and getting involved with people. And, you are picking a great area of the country to move to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area