Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,294 times

Advertisements

Hi, we will be relocating to the area, family of 5, and would like some recommendations on areas we should want to consider. Will be renting. What are areas of lower crime, better schools, areas for families with children? Thank you very much. We are excited to move to Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,294 times
Also what are some neighborhoods we should stay away from? Around the newport news area. Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 AM

6 posts, read 12,725 times
Wow thats a hard question given the information youve given or should I say not given. Do you like living in a big city where everyone is in your business or do you prefer a more rural atmosphere? Do you want an apartment or a house? Will you be working at the same place everyday or will you be traveling to various job sites? Personally I wouldnt live in Newport News anywhere. Im not saying there arent some decent places but Id rather commute from a rural community like Seaford or Suffolk but that might not be you.
Ive lived in this area 40 years or more and I would suggest visiting Wavy 10 news and read for yourself. WVEC 13 news and read. It will give you an idea of the bad and where it occurs and man there is some real bad stuff going on over there. Im not trying to scare you or discourage you but do your homework. I guess what Im saying is its all here, whatever you desire...Big city apartment life or country home with lots of room for dogs cats chickens n kids. Its all 30 min from anywhere. Its really a great area. Dont let some realtor blow a lot of smoke up yer skirt. Go visit any prospective neighborhood just as school is letting out and watch what happens. Children are an open window to the parents. If I can help let me know. I try not to sugarcoat anything.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 19,777 times
I suggest york county for the schools.....I would stay away from anywhere else!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM

174 posts, read 258,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon937 View Post
Also what are some neighborhoods we should stay away from? Around the newport news area. Thanks again!
Definitely stay away from the downtown area. If you are seeing number streets you need to turn around as fast as possible and go back the other way. The area in Denbeigh (closer to Williamsburg) has some pretty decent neighborhoods though.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 PM

368 posts, read 995,933 times
Our family of six lives in the CNU area of Newport News and we love it. It's safe, centrally located, and close to attractions (Virginia Living Museum, Mariner's Museum, Noland Trail and Lake Maury, Riverview Farm Park, The Furguson Center, The Peninsula Fine Arts Center). It's also close to the Patrick Henry Mall and all the shops and eateries on Jefferson Ave.

A good rule of thumb when looking for housing in Newport News is to stay (roughly) in this area: East from the James River to Warwick Blvd bordered by Avenue of the Arts to the south and Boxley Blvd to the north. Some neighborhoods included in this area: Riverside, Hidenwood, Normandy Forest, Wendwood, Glendale, Menchville, etc. These are all safe, friendly areas.

Other good areas of Newport News: Kiln Creek, Hilton Village, and Warwick on the James.

We homeschool (and would no matter where we lived), so I can't speak personally to the schools. York County, Poquoson, and Williamsburg have more respected school districts, but my friends whose children attend Newport News Public Schools are very happy with them. Any of the above mentioned neighborhoods would have good elementary schools. Of the middle schools, the one you want to shoot for is Gildersleeve. As for high schools, I have friends whose children attend Menchville and Woodside and couldn't be more pleased.

Good luck on your move. This is a great area to live in!

Last edited by artistatheart; 01-24-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM

46 posts, read 135,283 times
Hi! I live in Virginia before. Areas where I have been are:Norfolk, Hampton, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Portsmouth. Reasons for staying in the said places are various - vacation, school related studies/researches/projects which needs to be conduct in the place when I am at school and now - business conferences. Norfolk is the place where I dwell long time compared to other places in VA. It is such a good state - well for me. I am excited also for you to move in VA. In all my encounters in the said place, Corporate Housing Norfolk Virginia / Extended Stay Norfolk Virginia is one famous place for short term if you will ask for a place.

There are so many reasons to live in Virginia - and I am happy you chose the place. Because people have different preferences, with no offense made to other states, Virginia that just suit my needs, wants, and preferences. I just hope you too OP.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 6,031 times
I would stay out of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton and Newport News....that being said, my family just moved to Great Neck in Va Beach and we LOVE it! Great schools...close to shopping, restaurants, groceries, beach...such a nice area (zip code is 23454)....good luck on your home search...Hampton Roads really is a nice place to live, but like any area, you have to weed out the crummy ones :-)

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM

42 posts, read 136,491 times
This is easy. If you can afford York County, move there. Plenty of places for rent and some good places for sale(although prices are typically high).

If you can afford it, and are white, consider Poquoson as well. I wouldn't recommend Poquoson for other races; there's just too much racial tension there and it's well over 90% white.

Some Newport News schools are ok, although on the whole they are not. If you're going to live in NN, I'd suggest Menchville or the CNU area.

Honestly though, if you want your kids to have the best public schools on the peninsula, get them into York County, preferably the Tabb area of YC. York High has a reputation for being a bit more rough because of Lackey. If you see a place with the 23690 area code(Lackey), do NOT move there. Lackey is just as bad, if not worse, than some of the worst parts of NN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area