Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM

42 posts, read 136,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Man! I grew up in Va. Beach, and always want to move back! What a negative thread!! How can ya'll say all these things about Va. Beach/ Tidewater?

No progress - try Charleston, South Carolina , I have lived here 11 years.
Comparing Charleston and Hampton Roads is like comparing getting hit in the face with a baseball bat and getting hit in the face with a golf club.

Both suck, just in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Welcome to the Hotel California

The problem is there is no progress here. It is mundane suburbia filled with nothing but a bunch of desperate housewives and people that think they are fabulous. It's no wonder this place has a drinking problem.
How long have you been here and what is "progress" to you...gay marriage or an incessant spending spree based on delusions of grandeur in a futile attempt to be like "Up Top" --NYC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz74 View Post
I was born & raised here & am 1/3 done raising my own children here. We may be able to get out when we retire. (really, that's the plan)

Not trying to offend anyone, btw. I call it a sinkhole of an area because of the low paying jobs compared to the high cost of living. The area is designed for the military.
This I can partially understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Bwahahaha another New Jersey transplant that hates the area. I think this is half the people that frequent HR forum. You guys should all start a support group and meet up to talk about how much better new jersey is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Follow I-64 West until you get to Richmond.
LOL!!!!!...Get'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
That seems to be the NY/NJ mentality...if it isn't NY/NJ, it sucks. I have a friend from that area who constantly talks about how awful VA is...and I often have no problem reminding him that he's still here 15 years later. He always gets defensive and retorts with something about how he can't find a job anywhere else.
LOL!! Its not Jerseys fault...they are probably the only state used as a suburb of two large cities in two other states. Always being reminded that theyre niether Philly nor NYC everytime they have to pay a toll. Always being told how "awful" Jersey is and how its not "The City"...which one?...pick one (from neighbors). Jersey needs to feel better than SOMEBODY...surely they are better than VIRGINIA because they are closer to NY-city life. LOL. Then they realize Virginia has history stronger than its neighbors...Virginia has beaches people actually swim in (hypodermic needle free)...Virginia has its OWN identity and is not stuck in NYs shadow. Their favorite pastime is moving somewhere else (for decades) while acting like its something being missed back "Up top"(when there isnt) and rail about how much more "city" the "Garden state" is (YAWN).
Jersey suffers from identity crisis, insecurity, and envy.Jersey is cool though

Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I bet you flash your lights at people in traffic who are in the left lane following at a reasonable distance, but not going as fast as you would like to go.
My dear, this is typical of Virginia drivers- you are ignorant on state laws.

Read:

LIS > Code of Virginia > 46.2-842.1

Quote:
Sgt. F.L. Tyler, a public information officer with the state police office in Culpeper, said the following section of state code applies to left-lane hangers:

"It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway."

It continues: "On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so."

In other words, said Tyler, if you're in the left lane of a divided highway and going down the road, even with a vehicle to your right, the law requires that you give way and let a vehicle behind you pass.

Specifically, he said, if you're in that situation and a vehicle behind you signals its intention to pass, by either honking a horn or flashing its lights, you are required to move to the right as soon as it's safe, and allow the signaling vehicle to pass.

Failure to do so is a violation of the law, he said.
Fredericksburg.com - The law's clear: You must let drivers pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
How long have you been here and what is "progress" to you...gay marriage or an incessant spending spree based on delusions of grandeur in a futile attempt to be like "Up Top" --NYC?
Yes.

You'll have to explain yourself on the second part because it makes no sense. You can't just say something like "progress is an incessant spending spree" when you've given no examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider;27623321
[B
LOL!! [/b]Its not Jerseys fault...they are probably the only state used as a suburb of two large cities in two other states. Always being reminded that theyre niether Philly nor NYC everytime they have to pay a toll. Always being told how "awful" Jersey is and how its not "The City"...which one?...pick one (from neighbors). Jersey needs to feel better than SOMEBODY...surely they are better than VIRGINIA because they are closer to NY-city life. LOL. Then they realize Virginia has history stronger than its neighbors...Virginia has beaches people actually swim in (hypodermic needle free)...Virginia has its OWN identity and is not stuck in NYs shadow. Their favorite pastime is moving somewhere else (for decades) while acting like its something being missed back "Up top"(when there isnt) and rail about how much more "city" the "Garden state" is (YAWN).
Jersey suffers from identity crisis, insecurity, and envy.Jersey is cool though
OMG! LOL!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM

275 posts, read 870,420 times
Just curious, are you always this condescending? And don't blame it on you "keeping it real" or stating facts; you do this in just about every post. If you wanna converse and state your opinions, fine. But being a dick and flaunting your Jersey arrogance is something completely different. In fact, it helps feed into the stereotype that Jersey folks are all arrogant and obnoxious.

Honestly, why are you even in the VA forum if all you do is talk about how it's beneath you?

Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Just curious, are you always this condescending? And don't blame it on you "keeping it real" or stating facts; you do this in just about every post. If you wanna converse and state your opinions, fine. But being a dick and flaunting your Jersey arrogance is something completely different. In fact, it helps feed into the stereotype that Jersey folks are all arrogant and obnoxious.

Honestly, why are you even in the VA forum if all you do is talk about how it's beneath you?
What on earth are you talking about? You obviously aren't around much and have read few of my posts.

If you want to converse and share your opinions I suggest you stop the personal attacks.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Yes.

You'll have to explain yourself on the second part because it makes no sense. You can't just say something like "progress is an incessant spending spree" when you've given no examples.

OMG! LOL!
I said OR an...read the question again.

So gay marriage is "progress" to you but to me that is not progress at all. It moves nothing further along for the betterment of society in my opinion. I figured thats what youd say too. Nah, you might wanna HEAD back up TOP for all that. There are places for that already.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 01-04-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I said OR an...read the question again.

So gay marriage is "progress" to you but to me that is not progress at all. It moves nothing further along for the betterment of society in my opinion. I figured thats what youd say too. Nah, you might wanna HEAD back up TOP for all that. There are places for that already.
How do you personally feel about the Civil Rights Movement? Did it progress you at all?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
How do you personally feel about the Civil Rights Movement? Did it progress you at all?
That type of comparison is so flawed it almost undermines Black peoples struggle in this country. There is a continent with countries of Black people, there is NO continent or country of homosexuals. I am not one who links a homosexuals plight with that of Black people and it kinda turns my stomach when people do so.

Im not saying that we should carry on like Uganda but I also do not care to follow the likes of San Francisco...Massachussetts...Maryland(poor poor Maryland) or any other "progressive" state, if that is what they mean by "progressive". And yes I know SF is not a state and also have a homosexual in my family.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That type of comparison is so flawed it almost undermines Black peoples struggle in this country. There is a continent with countries of Black people, there is NO continent or country of homosexuals. I am not one who links a homosexuals plight with that of Black people and it kinda turns my stomach when people do so.

Im not saying that we should carry on like Uganda but I also do not care to follow the likes of San Francisco...Massachussetts...Maryland(poor poor Maryland) or any other "progressive" state, if that is what they mean by "progressive". And yes I know SF is not a state and also have a homosexual in my family.
It's not flawed at all, it simply points out the selfish behavior of others. If you have yours, screw everyone else is the thought.

I'm not sure what having a continent of black people has to do with anything.

As a black person, just a short time ago, you were denied the rights that other citizens got to enjoy, something as simple as using the front door even, simply because of the color of your skin.

With women, simply because they have different parts than a man they were denied the right to work, vote and a multitude of other rights that other citizens got to enjoy.

Look even at Japanese American's and internment camps.

I'm not saying you have to embrace the gay lifestyle, but to discriminate against it because you are not gay is simply wrong. Just as you have no control over being black or a woman has no control that she is a woman, a gay person has no control over whom they are attracted to (just as a straight person has no control over who they're attracted to.)

Don't forget that not even 50 years ago your opinion did not matter. To turn your back on another group that is currently struggling for equality is really sad. Black people would not have the rights they enjoy today if it had only been black people fighting for them back then.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
It's not flawed at all, it simply points out the selfish behavior of others. If you have yours, screw everyone else is the thought.

I'm not sure what having a continent of black people has to do with anything.

As a black person, just a short time ago, you were denied the rights that other citizens got to enjoy, something as simple as using the front door even, simply because of the color of your skin.

With women, simply because they have different parts than a man they were denied the right to work, vote and a multitude of other rights that other citizens got to enjoy.

Look even at Japanese American's and internment camps.

I'm not saying you have to embrace the gay lifestyle, but to discriminate against it because you are not gay is simply wrong. Just as you have no control over being black or a woman has no control that she is a woman, a gay person has no control over whom they are attracted to (just as a straight person has no control over who they're attracted to.)

Don't forget that not even 50 years ago your opinion did not matter. To turn your back on another group that is currently struggling for equality is really sad. Black people would not have the rights they enjoy today if it had only been black people fighting for them back then.
Like I said... to liken homosexuality and homosexuals plight to the naturalness of being born Black is a perverted thought process in itself, to me. I dont remember a homosexual race being denied any rights. Alot of times the homosexuals were actually the enslavers. What makes you think I need YOU to tell me about Black people...I am from VIRGINIA...what can you tell me? I dont recall any pact we made with homosexuals to fight for our freedoms or rights. As far as selfish...get real "got ours"? you cant be serious. Black people in this country have always been covertly undermined and disenfranchised in this country...please. Black peoples opinion has ALWAYS mattered, whether it was acknowledge or not is another thing. You dont know WHAT Black people wouldve had...there couldve been more and more Nat Turners poppin up...they couldve all been sent back to Africa or Canada...we'll never know.

How are homosexuals "struggling" with rights? What is the gripe...what is the plight? Are you being chased down and hung or castrated, raped or beaten....yeah? If so, all those actions are against the law already, so what? Denied your gay right to vote, nah? It is illegal to give any type of oral or anal sex in this state by the way...it is a felony. Is that the struggle? I'll protest with you on THAT. smh. No one would know someone was a homosexual unless the homosexual revealed themselves. And I know a few "try-sexuals"... confused and using sexual experimentation as a fad because social media told them it was normal so they didnt think that they were REALLY doing what they where doing...being gay. Doing gay ish. I dont know how natural that is.

Internment camp? That was wrong...we know....opium dens and railroad workers... we know. How does being placed in an internment camp (having your rights violated and stripped) have ANYthing to do with not acknowledging a homosexual marraige? You not being robbed of ish! Youre just not being acknowledged as a union between man and wife. Saying that homosexuals are the same as heterosexuals is embracing the concept that it is normal which it is not.

Up next. Illegals...NO, they shouldnt have drivers liscenses deport them and send their arses home, the end. Yall got us confused...we are not an -anything goes- type of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area