U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 39,969 times

Advertisements

I have searched through recent posts as well as past, and don't see any recent (i.e. last 12months) addressing this specifically. We will be moving to the area in May and are trying to figure out the best place to live. Obviously we see that there are areas to avoid in Newport & Hampton and that south York Co seems to be a good place. We are very attracted to Williamsburg, and while I see that most opt for living closer, is there anyone to shed light on the current commuting conditions? We also like the Harborview area or anything with water access. But the same goes for commuting across the bridge.

Misc factors:
-Idea house would be 4+br/2+ba, 0.5+acre lot, $400K or less
-Our child is not school age yet, so schools are not #1 factor (but we do look at this!).
-My husband will be working off shifts, thus missing most of "rush hour", but we don't want to bank on this since the military is unpredictable and could change his schedule at some point
-I work in health care and will be looking for employment at local hospitals.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM

368 posts, read 893,341 times
Williamsburg is a really nice area, and, if commute were not a factor, it might very well be the area we would choose to live. When we first moved here, we came from California (where my husband had a 45+ mile commute up and down a mountain pass), so we were very much looking for a short and easy commute for him. He works in Newport News, so we chose to live in Newport News. His commute is ten minutes (sometimes a little more with heavy traffic), and we couldn't be happier with our (much!) improved quality of life.

There are nice places to live that are very close to Langley (Poquoson, the Tabb section of York County, and the Kiln Creek section of Newport News/York County) and will give your husband a short, easy commute. BUT (and, if commute time is not a detractor for you, this is probably a big "BUT") those areas may not be as desirable to you, overall, as Williamsburg. We like Williamsburg for its somewhat rural feel, even as it offers many amenities of a more suburban--even, in some parts, urban--area (ie. you get the beauty of the country with the convenience of a nearby Target or Trader Joe's). I can't, personally, speak of the commute time (although I know my husband has gritted his teeth more than one Friday afternoon on his trip to and from Water Country with our boys), but, hopefully, someone else will be able to give you some good information.

Good luck--this is a great area to live!

Last edited by artistatheart; 01-15-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,604,737 times
Most folks I have worked with who were stationed at Langley AFB chose nearby York County both for its proximity and schools. A number of buyers opted to live in Williamsburg/ James City County for it's more relaxed feel , slightly better home prices and multitudes of things to do..
You can expect a 25-40 minute commute to Langley from Williamsburg area depending on your exact location. Newport News or Hampton will offer better home prices but check out school statistics against York County and James City County !

Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Mr. Williamsburg's right that, if you do choose to live in either Hampton or Newport News, you need to be selective about the schools. Unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience with the Hampton schools, but I do have friends that attend several Newport News schools and are very happy with them. We homeschool (and would no matter where we lived), but I have friends whose children attend Yates Elementary, Hidenwood Elementary, BC Charles Elementary (all in the CNU/Menchville area), Hilton Elementary (Hilton Village and surrounding areas) and Kiln Creek Elementary (in Kiln Creek) and love them. I also know people whose children attend Gildersleeve Middle School as well as Menchville, Woodside, and Warwick High Schools and are very pleased.

As a former teacher, I've found that good students generally do well at any school they attend, but, of course, choosing a home in an area with good schools generally translates to good neighborhoods, better home values, etc.

Again, good luck with your search!

Last edited by artistatheart; 01-18-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 AM

Thank you very much, artistatheart and Mr. Williamsburg! We are looking forward to living in the area!

Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Happy to help! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. I got a lot of great information from people on here when we first moved to the area and I had NO IDEA what I was doing. I try to pay it forward when I can.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 AM

Thank you very much

Old 01-28-2013, 12:11 PM

42 posts, read 120,349 times
Tabb(southern YC) or Poquoson. Both area easy commutes to Langley(less than 10 minutes usually). Poquoson actually has a road that leads almost right into Langley.

Have to give the "only move to Poquoson if you're white" speech. It's 90%+ white and has a "you don't belong here if you're not white" feel to it. Has had a reputation over the years of being racist. This has let up over the past few years but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Both have great school systems.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks, Falcor117. Any thoughts on Hayes/Gloucester Point?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM

The people I know who live in Gloucester seem to like it there. Hayes and Gloucester Point are both prone to flooding, so, if you decide to live there, be sure to check whether the home is in a flood zone (it probably is) and how much extra you will have to pay for flood insurance. It's a bit of a haul from Langley and you have to cross the Coleman Bridge (which sometimes causes delays due to bridge openings). The school district has a decent reputation, although not as good as Poquoson or York County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area