Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young students (22yr) from Florida who have a child who will be about 7 months when we move to the Williamsburg area this summer. My husband will be attending William and Mary and will be spending some time in Newport News as well. I currently work part time I'm a hospital. We are looking for a safe, affordable area to move to. We want to take in the following factors:

*Affordable rental. Either home, apartment, or town home. Budget is <$1000/month.
*Reasonable commute time (between Newport News and Williamsburg). We may be living with one vehicle while we get settled.
*Located near hospital/medical facility for job opportunities

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We have visited Williamsburg once and loved the area, but aren't sure I there are affordable areas nearby that fit our lifestyle an budget

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 21,251 times
I'm in W&M for grad school so I can provide some guidance from that perspective. Some popular complexes for grad students to give you an idea are the Oaks on S. Henry, Sterling Manor near High St., and the Pointe in New Town. 2br's in these place are probably about right at or near the top of your price point. They run specials though so might have some luck. As far as what to look for its seems pretty split between people who live near New Town or near the school, there are a lot of options for both and you can definitely find something in either area for under 1k. I would hold off another month or two and the school will start to send out apartment listings which should have a lot of options in your price range.

As for getting to NN, most place will be near 199 which you can take to 64 so it shouldn't be too bad but you may want to look for places that are closer to 64 on the east side and thus farther from school. Your options for that area though are either the very expensive Kingsmill area and then the Merrimac Trail area. Merrimac Trail will be affordable but a lot of people will warn you to stay away. I can't speak to the area since I don't spend any time over there.

If you are looking for anymore info just let me know.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM

368 posts, read 996,133 times
If you're interested in renting a house and want to be between Williamsburg and Newport News, you might look into the Lee Hall area of Newport News. It's the closest part of Newport News to Williamsburg and has a somewhat rural feel. I know of at least two families who've lived in that area and been happy. It may be possible to rent a home in Lee Hall and still stay within your budget--it's at least worth looking into!

A great resource for mothers in the area is peninsulamommies.com. There are several active members who currently live in W'burg and at least one who lives in Lee Hall. They helped me out a lot when my family first moved to the area.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM

368 posts, read 996,133 times
Also, just as a heads up--A great deal of the personal crime on the peninsula occurs in the apartment complexes. Most are perfectly safe, but, if you do decide to go the apartment route, try to get a personal recommendation before signing a lease.

Last edited by artistatheart; 01-20-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM

154 posts, read 388,574 times
There are plenty of medical facilities in the area, but finding something both low-cost and safe can be challenging. I would probably go for a 2 bedroom apartment rather than a house at your budget, as there are better options in safe areas. As was mentioned, there are affordable apartments in New Towne and High Street (both newer mixed usage developments in Williamsburg). I would choose these over Newport News.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,639 times
What do you know about Colonial Towne Apartments on Merrimac Trail in Williamburg?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,978,261 times
I will just say you get what you pay for with Williamsburg apartments. With rents that range from $600-$1700 , hopefully you get my drift. Occasionally you will find a below market deal for a home in the Gazette ( from a home owner) that or the W&M off campus housing site would be my top suggestions at places to search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area