Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,367 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to the Noefolk area. We are coming from a very small rural town in Oklahoma. I have a low budget but want somewhere safe. Where is the best place to go? My husband has never been further than Arkansas and I have only been west so not familiar with the area or lifestyles of Virginia. Also what is the best way to find rental properties there? Preferably on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM

275 posts, read 870,276 times
It's an interesting area in that you have a little bit of everything, country, suburb, city, the beach.

In Norfolk, I always recommend Ghent. Affordable and safe with a pretty decent nightlife...older, Colonial style architecture which gives it a lot of charm.

Are either of you guys military? That makes a lot of difference because of the bases and tunnels in this area. It's nice to explore, but for work, you'll probably want to live on your side of the tunnel. Hampton and Newport News are generally lower-priced, and both have the pockets to stay away from, but are overall okay places to live.

There's the more suburban Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, a little more expensive with no shortage of malls and chain places, with local spots hidden here and there.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM

368 posts, read 995,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpirate05 View Post
Are either of you guys military? That makes a lot of difference because of the bases and tunnels in this area. It's nice to explore, but for work, you'll probably want to live on your side of the tunnel.
This is an excellent point. Hampton Roads is a great place to live, but people sometimes underestimate what a pain commuting can be here because of the various tunnels and bridges. Where you'll be working should be a major influence in where you plan to live.

I agree that the Ghent section of Norfolk has a reputation as a good, safe area. Are both you and your husband going to be working in Norfolk?

As far as rentals, I've heard that militarybyowner.com is a good source.

http://www.militarybyowner.com/default.aspx

Last edited by artistatheart; 01-31-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
What makes you choose Hampton Roads if you've never even been here?

Do you have jobs lined up?

What is "low budget?"

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,367 times
My friend is being stationed there and we are moving with her. So we would need something no more than 30 or 45 minutes away from base probably. I would say $500-$600 a month tops. We are unsure of where we will be working until we get there.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM

524 posts, read 400,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haila29 View Post
My friend is being stationed there and we are moving with her. So we would need something no more than 30 or 45 minutes away from base probably. I would say $500-$600 a month tops. We are unsure of where we will be working until we get there.
That is a very low budget for a safe property close to the base.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM

275 posts, read 870,276 times
Agreed with lowrimol, good luck finding a safe area for $600 max. My old apartment was 725 for a 2 BR...it was in a good neighborhood, but extremely tiny. The place I'm at now is just under $800, also 2 BR.

If it's just you and your husband (no kids), you may be able to find a studio for about $650, but from what I've seen those are few and far between here. Might wanna look for 1 BRs in Ghent...that's about a 10-15 min. drive from Naval Station Norfolk (straight down Hampton Blvd.), and you may be able to find a decent one bedroom apartment in the low $700s.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
So you're coming with no job, to an area you've never even been to before, with a teeny tiny little budget, for a friend?!

Sorry, but that's absolutely insane. You need to reconsider the entire move.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM

368 posts, read 995,837 times
I have to agree with the previous posters. Hampton Roads can be a really nice place to live, but it's not inexpensive, and the bad areas can be really BAD. Your budget is too low to get you into a good area. If you are set on coming here, please make sure to get some sort of personal recommendation about where you'll be living before you sign a lease.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM

15 posts, read 24,431 times
For that amount... Youll be lucky to find a place in Ocean view..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area