U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM

11 posts, read 21,248 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the very helpful feedback & advice!! I am learning tons here.

During our 'research trip' this summer, (which hopefully will be a full two weeks long), we want to make the most of our time, get a feel for the quieter towns, work places - and look at both rentals & homes. Impossible to do everything on the computer, but trying to have as much as possible figured/mapped out ahead of time as I can.
We don't know if working at CW is realistic or not yet, we would love the history, but we must also consider the higher cost of living to avoid commuting from farther away. If we decide that working at CW isn't going to work out best after our trip, we would definitely be looking West of Williamsburg, worrying less about how near we were to CW - because it would be more affordable. Our friend is in Richmond.

I think we are going to need to rent when we first get out there, so we can spend more time looking, & get ourselves in a position to buy. It's hard to give you a accurate price range, as it depends greatly on the jobs we find. Est. budget...probably less than $150k, and the closer to $100k the better.
We don't want neighbors on top of us (we prefer trees!). We dont want to be near the beach, or big shopping malls, unlike a lot of people. A home that needs a little TLC/updating is ok.

the most important thing is for it to be in a nice decent area, quiet, and near where we work. If we're not working in a history museum, we would also enjoy working at places like librairies/book stores, quaint cafes/shops, a music store (my kids play banjo & fiddle), etc. etc. We are leaving a farm in IL, so we are also big into sustainable living, 'green' and so on, I've heard there are 'green communities'. I homeschooled my kids, I've considered becoming a Waldorf teacher...There are many areas we could work in. Our number 1 priority is to LIKE the work we do!

West Point & New Kent sound great, and looking a few houses up, I see what you mean about value! There are some beauties there. I would greatly appreciate your reccomendations!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,617,717 times
Finding something to buy in those areas at $100k will be difficult. Maybe renting is the best option then..

Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,617,717 times
I would simply say anything in western part of James City County or New Kent or West Point might fit the bill. Not a lot of rentals in those areas though.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 6,048,331 times
This may be a stretch, but have you considered Busch Gardens, at least as a temporary job until something better opens up. They have costumed people in all of the "countries" and should be hiring for the season.

Good luck -- glad you got more answers!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 28,414,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
This may be a stretch, but have you considered Busch Gardens, at least as a temporary job until something better opens up. They have costumed people in all of the "countries" and should be hiring for the season.

Good luck -- glad you got more answers!
Good suggestion.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 21,248 times
Thanks for the reccomendations! I am taking note of everything.

I love the look of West Point. My first concern though, is it looks like such a low area - does it ever have flooding?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM

770 posts, read 1,008,621 times
There are parts of York county that may be of interest. A fixer up at 100k may be doable, but be very careful about the inspection.

I-64 in the summer can be a rough commute due to the traffic from DC going to VA Beach. Hampton is too built up. There are parts of NN that are okay, but the taxes are fairly high.

Overall the Tidewater is a lovely area, and Colonial Williamsburg is always a plus. Take the Jamestown Ferry (Its free!) and go accross the river, it is a nice little jaunt!

Good luck! If in Newport News, go to Keegans. It's a cool Irish like pub with good food priced reasonably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area