Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

My husband and are relocating. We think we've made our decision. But our choices were VA beach or Myrtle beach. I think we've chosen MB. But I am trying to compare the pros and cons. We currently live in Roanoke, VA. We have 3 kids. Ages 3, 2, and month and a half year old. We have visited both places. Climate wise which would be warmer? Is VA beach kinda like it is here in the winter? Or is it warmer? Schools aren't on the top of our list but it is a plus since we've got at least another year and a half before our eldest starts. Safety is the major one. Job market? My husband works on construction equipment. He currently works for sunbelt rentals.
He has 2 interviews set in SC for 3/1. I like that the cost of living is cheaper there. Would I be paying more in va beach?
Just a few questions I have trying to make our final.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,074,651 times
My from-the-hip answer to your last question would be "Yes, you'll pay more in Virginia Beach". Then I thought of these pages. You'll probably get other replies but here's some information from City-Data.

Virginia Beach
//www.city-data.com/city/Virgin...-Virginia.html

Myrtle Beach
//www.city-data.com/city/Myrtle...-Carolina.html

One of the biggest differences I see is the population. Virginia Beach is close to 500,000 people. Myrtle Beach is around 28,000. I guess you'll have be the one to decide do you want a higher population or less?

VB economy (as well as all of Hampton Roads) is about to take a pretty big hit with federal budget cuts and sequestration but I think that's because like it or not, our economy is so dependent on the military and other federal spending. I don't think Myrtle Beach depends on federal dollars like the cities here in Hampton Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area