U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,603 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I got pulled over in Virginia for reckless driving(84/55) in 2010. Cop gave me a ticket mentioning that I don't need to appear in the court. However I paid that ticket off. Checked my NY license record couple of time after that incident, its clear till now. The ticket has Code Section : A.46.2-862 Case Type :Misdemeanor. After some research came to know that this code carries six points and criminal record. Funny thing is now I have moved to Virginia due to my consulting work for some company. If I change my license from NY to VA. Does this appear on my record, if yes who can I reduce this?

Appreciate your response.

-neal
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,573,239 times
I would consult a lawyer.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM

95 posts, read 170,089 times
Reckless is a CRIMINAL offense not traffic, and will remain on your record FOREVER!
DMV points last 2 years, however, they, the cops, your auto insurance, your employer,
any state licensing agency,(contractor,business,reality), Canada, or the courts
may use your conviction against you.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM

69 posts, read 151,965 times
Virginia has the toughest set of driving laws in the USA, or at least one of the toughest. Yes, reckless driving is a misdemeanor aka criminal offense. This is not the case in other states, so that's perhaps why you're confused. Obviously it's not assault or theft or anything outrageous, and it was 3 years ago, so I don't think it would affect you too much outside of car insurance. Just be sure to answer "yes" when asked if you've been convicted of a criminal charge, and explain. Most people know Virginia is tough on traffic laws.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM

50 posts, read 202,507 times
Default Reckless driving in Va

While technically correct, the officer shouldn't be offering legal advice. I-64 from Williamsburg to Virginia Beach is a very lucrative speed trap with quickly changing speed limits and a population that believes you'll never get pulled if you are "going with the flow". Not true, as my son has found out several times. Favorite target is young men in sharp looking sedans. They just pull in behind the target and light 'em up, while everyone else in the pack breathes a sigh of relief. Back to the officer though - IMHO, a Virginia reckless driving or DUI should always be handled by a lawyer. The penalties in Va are so severe that you will usually come out the other side being very glad you spent the money on the lawyer. And no, I am not a lawyer. Just a Dad who unfortunately has seen the system at work.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 AM

6,059 posts, read 9,313,769 times
Over 80mph stays on your record for 11 years.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,603 times
Thanks guys! I've transferred my lic from NY to VA. Now it says I have zero "safe driving points". What does this mean? I found that -ve pts are not good,while +ve pts are good.

Last edited by neal1; 03-17-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 PM

6,059 posts, read 9,313,769 times
You earn 1 good point every year without an infraction. Basically they shield you if you get a ticket. You can earn up to plus 5, so if you have plus 5 and lose 3 to a ticket you're still good. After you lose a certain amount they require an SR-22 or suspend your license depending on other factors.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 AM

95 posts, read 170,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You earn 1 good point every year without an infraction. Basically they shield you if you get a ticket. You can earn up to plus 5, so if you have plus 5 and lose 3 to a ticket you're still good. After you lose a certain amount they require an SR-22 or suspend your license depending on other factors.
To be clear, an SR-22, SR-26, and a FR-44 (Insurance financial responsibility report), is only required after
a license suspension, or revocation. Can you get your license revoked by points alone? Sure, but you would have be one of the states worst drivers, I believe it's around 16 points in a 2 year period.

"DMV demerit points remain on your record for two years from the date that you commit the offense.
The dates that demerit points are removed from your driving record are not related to the dates
that convictions are removed from your record."

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

"DMV has reviewed and approved the computer-based programs. Upon successful completion of the on-line course, you may be eligible to receive up to five safe driving points. Although the course can be
taken on-line, the final exam must be taken at a centralized test site. A list of test sites is
located on the web site of each course provider."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area