U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,049,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker92 View Post
Personally, Im 95% confident it'll be reduced to speeding and I'm perfectly fine with accepting the punishment that goes along with it; I see the only thing an attorney could do is get me a plea bargain before the trial or state everything I will state.
Best case, that is what will happen. Worst case, you will be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense. Ignorance to the law is no excuse.

I've had really good luck with some judges and Ive had some that were just zero tolerance judges.

All you have to do get it dropped from a misdemeanor to a driving infraction. Its no joking matter. You dont get it reduced, and that misdemeanor is with you forever.

Then you will have to deal with how your home state deals with driving records. I think Maryland reckless driving is a 6 point ticket.

Either way, if you dont get it dropped to a speeding violation, you will pay dearly for some time on insurance premiums.

And getting a plea bargain is what you want. Even if the fine is still way up there. An attorney knows how to do this. Its possible for you do do it to, but talking to the judge is not going to get a plea bargain.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 AM

8,321 posts, read 14,061,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker92 View Post
I just want to know what I'm going to expect and what I should plead? Like I said, this is my first ticket/summoning ever.
What you should expect is a zero-tolerance judge who won't drop the charge. You can be hopeful that the judge will lower it... but being a "20-year old college student with a clean driving record" is not going to earn you as many brownie points as you think. Hampton Roads is not very lenient towards younger drivers like yourself. If you get a chance, I'd advise coming down here and sitting in on a court day and watch how your judge treats the overwhelming large number of young, male drivers that come before him/her.

In Virginia, anything over 80 and/or going 20mph over the speed limit are Criminal offenses. Not just minor speeding tickets. If you're completely serious about going in front of a judge despite facing the possibility of up to twelve months in jail, six months suspension of your privilege to operate a motor vehicle in Virginia, plus a fine of up to $2,500... well, good luck to you.

As for what you should plea, talk to a lawyer.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM

40 posts, read 50,075 times
You need to get a lawyer. The lawyers and judges in Va. are friends, a good ole boy network, and the judge will not lower anything if you don't make a contribution to his buddies. For a while we had very high speeding fines but they were not enforced on out of state drivers. There was a lot of complaining from Va.residents and I don't know how it worked out.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,464 times
I know this is an old thread, but since I stumbled onto it I thought I'd just add that for whatever its worth my attorney actually took my reckless driving ticket to trial and we won. So its not always about making deals but im sure its that way alot though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area