Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 PM

9 posts, read 11,752 times

Advertisements

I was clocked doing 82 in a 60 on Route 64 (2 miles later it went to 65 and 8 miles later switching to 70). This was my second time driving through this area ever and I was completely unaware of the harsh driving laws the fascist state of VA shells out. I am an out of state driver coming from Maryland and I also have a clean driving record; never receiving even a parking ticket. I've done a lot of research and am shocked at how speeding can basically destroy my life at 20 years of age. Just looking for a bit of help or positive regard; so far I'm leaning pleading guilty and hoping to pay a 19 MPH over ticket along with possible drivers ed online done through MD. Any advice or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 PM

95 posts, read 189,242 times
What were the posted limits prior? do you recall? That info probably won't help you, though it did for me one time, a partially obscured 35 just 100 feet past a 45, sneaky little devils aren't they? Where exactly
were you pulled over? If your car is older than, say 12 years, or has different size tires, or rims, a speedometer calibration *may* help, expensive gamble though. It could just shave off a couple of MPH.
How did he clock you? Did he say? Was he stationary, or was he following you? My guess is the latter.
Did he say how long he had been following you? How heavy was the traffic? Which lane were you in?
What time of day? Were you pasted by any other vehicle(s) just prior to being pulled over? Were you polite? Did the cop make any other comments? What were you driving, and what color, tricked out, modified, riced up, loud exhaust, peace sign, or Romney for president bumper sticker? Did he ask you why you were in Va. and where you were going? Dimes to donuts, the cop could have nailed you at 74, or 79, but nooo, he waited till he could tag you at plus 80 to earn the most brownie points. Just plain mean if you ask me.
By all means get a drivers ed coarse now! Your clean record will help, (a lot), in NOVA, not so much. I truly believe that in your instance the judge will reduce, without an attorney, but no guaranties. Not positive on this, but you might be able to appeal a reckless conviction within 30 days if it goes that way, and THEN it's time to lawyer up. BTW, your comment about, "the fascist state of VA", even if true, do not appear before a cop, or a judge with that attitude, and yes, they can smell it. Dress well, sit, or stand straight, make eye contact, show remorse, you will not be allowed to offer up any excuses, so don't even try.
One more thing, 82 in a 60? I have driven in places where if you weren't doing at least 75, or 80 you would get run over, but Hampton Roads ain't one of them. So you know you deserve a bit of a spanking don't you? Your only 20 years old, and you may think you know all about cars, driving, and traffic, but trust me, you ain't even close. And here's your sign.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM

I was driving an 04 Jetta, completely stock and its my girlfriends who was with me at the time. He was stationary; the flow of traffic was about 70-75, but I know this is no excuse. As to where, no clue; Ive only been in the area twice in my life (first time driving through). It was about 11 in the morning on a Sunday. Clocked at 82; which is completely correct, as I took notice of my speed. As soon as he hit the lights I slowed down to the flow of traffic and signaled my way over to the shoulder. I know fascist isnt a word I will use in court, lol, but the driving laws are just an increase revenue brought on by Republicans to keep state taxes lower. I took notice 2-3 miles later the speed was 65, and 10 miles later a 70. I didnt take notice to the signs after the tunnel and remembered 95 and 64 etc being 70 the entire way down (yet anything over 80 is reckless in va? lol) In my neck of the woods, Hagerstown MD, cops are very lenient on highways. Im very modest and well spoken and answered the officers questions very basically with no excuses and also added sir to everything, I even had the registration and license in my hands (which were on the steering wheel) with the music off and my yields on; I see this as a money maker tagging an out of state driver, but I have to play ball.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM

And unlike most people on these; I admit I was guilty and made a mistake.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
NEVER drive over 79mph!!!!!! Get a lawyer. That ticket will stay on your record for 11 years.

Virginia DMV

Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
NEVER drive over 79mph!!!!!! Get a lawyer. That ticket will stay on your record for 11 years.

Virginia DMV
Just to be clear, a reckless conviction is PERMANENT. 11 years is how long the courts in *Virginia* can use the conviction against you for sentencing should you appear before it again during that time.
Other states *MAY* not use this, or act in the same manner, I REALLY DO NOT KNOW.
I think the OP should try and find out,(Maryland). Lets face it, 11 years is an awfully long time for a 20
year old to remain a model citizen.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM

OK OP,(baker92), First thing, I find it admirable that you openly admit your error,Kudos to
you, and your parents. Congrats,You now have more reps than I. It's still no reason for you
to just sell the farm, and jeopardize your future. Just so you know, I'm near 40 years your
senior, and have some incite as to what you are going through, and yes, I do know how to spell
passed. Seems there's a time limit on just how long you can avoid looking like an idiot on these
forums. Take note of your answers to my questions, for there may be a quiz latter. Also answer
the questions you missed in my first post. Perhaps I should rephrase one in particular, did
you admit to the cop that you knew you were speeding, knew the limit, or how fast you were going?
Use; Google Maps and zoom *ALL* the way in and try and pinpoint for me where
you saw him,(mile marker,exit,sign post,dead deer,etc). You say he was stationary, in the median,
or right side? Which direction was he facing? Not all cop cars are equipped with rear looking
radar. What, or how long was his field of view? Unfortunately, going west on 64 from the tunnel,
the limits go from lower to higher with no changes in between that I know of, but I will check.
Clear something up for me, you say you slowed down as soon as he hit the lights. Why the heck
didn't you slow down when you saw him sitting there "stationary"?
BTW, picking pockets really isn't a Rep., or Dem. thing. But lets not discuss it here for I
may tell you how I really feel.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
Just to be clear, a reckless conviction is PERMANENT. 11 years is how long the courts in *Virginia* can use the conviction against you for sentencing should you appear before it again during that time.
Other states *MAY* not use this, or act in the same manner, I REALLY DO NOT KNOW.
I think the OP should try and find out,(Maryland). Lets face it, 11 years is an awfully long time for a 20
year old to remain a model citizen.
Exactly why he should get a lawyer. No way no how would I go to court and face a judge over this without one. The OP is young, and most likely will be looking for a job of some sort at some point. You don;t want to have to explain a criminal convection. Yes it may be minor to some, but where you have 20 people applying for a job you can guess who will be cut from the applicant pool first.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
OK OP,(baker92), First thing, I find it admirable that you openly admit your error,Kudos to
you, and your parents. Congrats,You now have more reps than I. It's still no reason for you
to just sell the farm, and jeopardize your future. Just so you know, I'm near 40 years your
senior, and have some incite as to what you are going through, and yes, I do know how to spell
passed. Seems there's a time limit on just how long you can avoid looking like an idiot on these
forums. Take note of your answers to my questions, for there may be a quiz latter. Also answer
the questions you missed in my first post. Perhaps I should rephrase one in particular, did
you admit to the cop that you knew you were speeding, knew the limit, or how fast you were going?
Use; Google Maps and zoom *ALL* the way in and try and pinpoint for me where
you saw him,(mile marker,exit,sign post,dead deer,etc). You say he was stationary, in the median,
or right side? Which direction was he facing? Not all cop cars are equipped with rear looking
radar. What, or how long was his field of view? Unfortunately, going west on 64 from the tunnel,
the limits go from lower to higher with no changes in between that I know of, but I will check.
Clear something up for me, you say you slowed down as soon as he hit the lights. Why the heck
didn't you slow down when you saw him sitting there "stationary"?
BTW, picking pockets really isn't a Rep., or Dem. thing. But lets not discuss it here for I
may tell you how I really feel.
Unless you're his layer and can stand beside him at trial, yes trial, it really doesn't matter exactly where he got the ticket, or if/how he answers your questions.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM

Cop never asked how fast I was going or anything, nor did he explain the speed limit posted; he was behind a cement median with an emergency pass in between, I could not see him. He was facing my direction, and his field of view couldnt have been very long. Believe me, Im very good at hitting the breaks whenever I spot a cop; I literally didnt see him until I was about 20 feet from him.

And I refuse to get a lawyer; he will simply say the exact same things I will whenever I go to trial on the 15th of April. And for some reason, I believe a 20 year old standing for himself shows more character than having some lawyer speak on his behalf.

Also, out of curiosity, there is a spot on my summons that says something about commenting on how the cop handled the stop, procedure, what have you, and he never filled this in. Could I bring this up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area