U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM

16 posts, read 50,269 times

Advertisements

Hi all, i'm a 24 yr old single male who is moving to the Norfolk area for work. My office is near the norfolk/portsmouth area. I would like to live close to bars/fun areas and the beach. I'm willing to commute up to up 30 minutes to work. And I can pay up to about 1000 a month for my apartment before utilities.

Considering all this what are the best bets for places/areas for me to live? Thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 PM

3,383 posts, read 3,840,471 times
If you're willing to commute up to 30 minutes and you're job is actually on the Norfolk side of the tunnel you can probably live some where not too far from Town Center in Virginia Beach.

I'm not sure about the apartment costs but I'm sure you can find a 1 bed room some where in the VB area that is close to the interstate which would allow you to get to your work in less than 30 minutes.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:20 AM

80 posts, read 203,031 times
For a young guy I would recommend the Ghent neighborhood in Norfolk close to ODU. Plenty of places in walking distance such as bars, coffee houses, restaurants, stores, museums, theaters, etc. etc. Plus even a pretty nice mall. It's also much more of a community than Virginia Beach which I've never cared for. There's always something going on like festivals and what not as well. I think you'll be able to meet more people in Norfolk than Va Beach. The only thing going for VA beach is the beach. It's basically one giant suburban sprawl.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,169,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDay28 View Post
Hi all, i'm a 24 yr old single male who is moving to the Norfolk area for work. My office is near the norfolk/portsmouth area. I would like to live close to bars/fun areas and the beach. I'm willing to commute up to up 30 minutes to work. And I can pay up to about 1000 a month for my apartment before utilities.

Considering all this what are the best bets for places/areas for me to live? Thanks for the help.
Ghent. Forget about Town Center. Plus to actually live in Town Center a decent place is like $1,300, just starting out, unless they've lowered the rent.

Ghent is much larger than Town Center. It blends into the city, whereas Town Center stands out like a sore thumb. Ghent is several times larger than Town Center.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM

134 posts, read 513,013 times
Check out Ghent, Freemason, or downtown Norfolk. There are lots of apartments in all three areas.

Additionally Old Town Portsmouth has a pretty good bang for your buck though it's not quite as "happening" as Norfolk there is a short ferry ride you can take for a couple bucks. Look North of High Street and East of Effingham if you want to stay in the good part of town.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Default East Beach!

My husband and I just moved to East Beach about an month ago and we really love the area. It's close to grocery stores, home-good stores, restaurants and there are several good bars and restaurants within walking distance. The East Beach neighborhood is new and beautiful. It's really quiet back here and only a block from Chesapeake Bay Beaches and a few miles from interstate 64 and 264.

We live in Pleasant Village Apartments
[url]www.facebook.com/Pleasant.Village[/url]

The apartments are all 2 bed, 2 full bath units with a really open layout. Prices range from 925-1050 per month depending on layout and renovations.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 AM

2,190 posts, read 7,290,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalena View Post
For a young guy I would recommend the Ghent neighborhood in Norfolk close to ODU. Plenty of places in walking distance such as bars, coffee houses, restaurants, stores, museums, theaters, etc. etc. Plus even a pretty nice mall. It's also much more of a community than Virginia Beach which I've never cared for. There's always something going on like festivals and what not as well. I think you'll be able to meet more people in Norfolk than Va Beach. The only thing going for VA beach is the beach. It's basically one giant suburban sprawl.
^^^ This

If you can afford it or are willing to go into debt, just take one ODU class for no other reason to have access to student facilities and meeting people. Also joining Crossfit (in Ghent it's called 757) is probably the easiest way to meet people. Beats meeting drunks in the bars.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM

So is the consensus that it is pretty much not worth it to live near the beach? I was somewhat excited about the prospect of living within walking distance of a beach. Is Ghent mostly/all college kids?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,169,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDay28 View Post
So is the consensus that it is pretty much not worth it to live near the beach? I was somewhat excited about the prospect of living within walking distance of a beach. Is Ghent mostly/all college kids?
No, it isn't . you have to fight traffic getting to work, only one grocery store in that part of town . etc etc. everyone lives in Ghent. ask yourself if you want to live in a resort area or you want to live in the city . the urban part of Virginia Beach is 20 Minutes from the Oceanfront . But Ghent is. much deeper than Town Center . Town Center is a lifestyle center, Ghent is a neighborhood . Town Center is synthetic Ghent is organic. All up to your personal preference.

It is pretentiouus urban snobbery, in both cases,but that is what makes this region great,the fact that we have choices .

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No, it isn't . you have to fight traffic getting to work, only one grocery store in that part of town . etc etc. everyone lives in Ghent. ask yourself if you want to. live in a resort area or you want to live in the city . the urban part of Virginia Beach is 20. Minutes from the Oceanfront . But Ghent is. much deeper than Town Center . Town Center is a lifestyle center, Ghent is a neighborhood . Town Center is synthetic Ghent is organic. All up to your personal preference .
Ok, so no town center. What about Oceanfront in VA beach? Is it all just tourists/touristy gimmicks and such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area