Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM

29 posts, read 145,545 times

Advertisements

I have to LOL at some of the previous responses! (no offense intended).

As an openly lesbian Realtor, I am asked this question all the time! I And I always say, YES!!! Hampton Roads is a great place for a LGBTQ person to live. I moved here in 1988 from NJ and LOVE it here.. and I love being the unofficial gay cheerleader for Hampton Roads.

Like anywhere, there is hate and ignorance, but we have a strong and viable community which gets stronger everyday! Much of the negatives you hear in this post are results of backlash of the work we have been doing to promote equal rights for ALL Virginians-- including in our military forces- which does play a big part in Hampton Roads.

A lot of people mention GHENT, which is charming, but may or may not be affordable for you. Unbeknown to probably many, gay folks live EVERYWHERE in Hampton Roads-- rural and city, "hoods" and luxury hi-rises. Though we may gather & spend our money in certain "friendlier" places, I have NEVER felt uncomfortable being who I am here-- anywhere in HR. I have lived in: Ghent (which I loved mostly cause I could walk to everything), a couple of smaller Norfolk 'hoods, suburban areas of VA Beach, Newport News (x2) and currently, Hampton.

I work very hard to make sure that is non-discrimination is a daily truth for all of us. That is my passion, but there are so many other places to "plug-in". Many of the previous posters on this site may not know: locally, we have a gay & gay-supportive chamber of commerce(HRBOR.org), an active community action teams of Equality Virginia (equalityvirginia.org), an active pride group (Hamptonroadspride.org), several "gay" bars and restaurants, welcoming social organizations for all genders, ages and interests, large & well-organized bowling, softball & volleyball leagues, support groups, gay man's chorus, friendly churches of many denominations, and more. Too many to list, but check out HRBOR.org & The Lambda Directory - Virginia's Gay/Gay Friendly Resource Guide for more info. Though those do not even have all of the resources in our community, they are a great start.

To comment on some of the posts above: The annual Pride event in Chesapeake did draw over 4,000 folks, but was not held there b/c Chesapeake is necessarily gay -friendlier; it's just logistics. The so-called "marriage -amendment" to the VA constitution which passed in 2006 defining marriage between one man & one woman, passed by only 57% of the statewide vote (pretty good considering) and was actually DEFEATED in the cities of Williamsburg and Norfolk.

I think employment opportunities could be better here, but are pretty good for government or defense -related business. We do have a number of large companies (in other segments) who offer domestic partner benefits. As I have found, the LGBTQ folks moving into the area are usually skilled or educated in the right arenas to do very well here.

Overall, if you like the water, history, culture and a friendly "small town" feel with the resources of a large metro area, I would pick Hampton Roads. You will not regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM

23 posts, read 85,532 times
It seems to me "much ado about nothing". Granted, I'm hetero and haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but when I see, ostensibly, a gay couple, I think nothing about it. I think most straight people feel the same way (at least the people I know). I live in Olde Towne (Portsmouth) and spend a lot of time in Ghent and downtown; as for these areas, which are the ones I know, noone would lift an eyebrow.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 AM

29 posts, read 145,545 times
[quote=one crowded hour;2852769]It seems to me "much ado about nothing". Granted, I'm hetero and haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but when I see, ostensibly, a gay couple, I think nothing about it. I think most straight people feel the same way (at least the people I know).

Thanks for your post, Hour. That's how I experience life in Hampton Roads as an "out" lesbian. It's good to hear some friendly straight folks speak up. You have to realize, though, it IS important for a Gay, lesbian, Bi-sexual or Transgendered person to not only feel safe, but feel accepted as a full member of the community in which they live. As you can imagine, that is not the case everywhere in America.

I find Hampton Roads to be very friendly indeed, thanks to a lot of folks like you. In NJ, where I am from, the laws are better to protect us ***** folk & guarantee our rights, but here in Hampton Roads, I feel MORE accepted and able to be open than anywhere in NJ. I go to the grocery, local parades, work, out to eat--EVERYWHERE--lots of times with a gang of folks who "look gay." My Hampton Roads neighbors engage us in friendly talk and it's hard to decribe, but I feel they know, and perhaps go out of their way to be friendly.

I think some of the posts above are a little "soccer mom-ish" (again no offense intended), and seem a little out of touch from HR gay life. Something else from another post above: Part of having a big military presence here helps, not hurts, us. Believe it or not, some estimates put 20% of your military as gay or lesbian. They may be "not-telling" at work, but are a very big & vital part of our gay community in Hampton Roads.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 13,359 times
Default clueless :O)

Greetings,

I am honestly clueless I am a heterosexual, married male. My Father-in-law came out to my wife after her mother died. Ever since he found out I know he is gay, it seems like there has been this big divide in our relationship. Without getting too far into the background info, he is coming to visit this weekend, and I'd like to find a place my wife and I can take him that is gay-friendly but not necessarity over the top. He's in his 60's so a place for good food and relaxing atmosphere, perhaps live music will fit the bill. To complicate matters, my wife is pregnant so a smoke free environment is important.

Any ideas would be fantastic. I am familiar with Ghent. My wife and I love the restaurants. Would any be more gay friendly than others? He and I simply haven't begun a dialogue. I feel this visit could be an opportunity to show we (I in particular) love him and want him to feel open around us.

I honestly don't know where to start, in terms of finding places to go (or even blogs or non-sexual chat rooms to get info). So any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM

161 posts, read 684,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmulligan View Post
I have to LOL at some of the previous responses! (no offense intended).

As an openly lesbian Realtor, I am asked this question all the time! I And I always say, YES!!! Hampton Roads is a great place for a LGBTQ person to live. I moved here in 1988 from NJ and LOVE it here.. and I love being the unofficial gay cheerleader for Hampton Roads.

Like anywhere, there is hate and ignorance, but we have a strong and viable community which gets stronger everyday! Much of the negatives you hear in this post are results of backlash of the work we have been doing to promote equal rights for ALL Virginians-- including in our military forces- which does play a big part in Hampton Roads.

A lot of people mention GHENT, which is charming, but may or may not be affordable for you. Unbeknown to probably many, gay folks live EVERYWHERE in Hampton Roads-- rural and city, "hoods" and luxury hi-rises. Though we may gather & spend our money in certain "friendlier" places, I have NEVER felt uncomfortable being who I am here-- anywhere in HR. I have lived in: Ghent (which I loved mostly cause I could walk to everything), a couple of smaller Norfolk 'hoods, suburban areas of VA Beach, Newport News (x2) and currently, Hampton.

I work very hard to make sure that is non-discrimination is a daily truth for all of us. That is my passion, but there are so many other places to "plug-in". Many of the previous posters on this site may not know: locally, we have a gay & gay-supportive chamber of commerce(HRBOR.org), an active community action teams of Equality Virginia (equalityvirginia.org), an active pride group (Hamptonroadspride.org), several "gay" bars and restaurants, welcoming social organizations for all genders, ages and interests, large & well-organized bowling, softball & volleyball leagues, support groups, gay man's chorus, friendly churches of many denominations, and more. Too many to list, but check out HRBOR.org & The Lambda Directory - Virginia's Gay/Gay Friendly Resource Guide for more info. Though those do not even have all of the resources in our community, they are a great start.

To comment on some of the posts above: The annual Pride event in Chesapeake did draw over 4,000 folks, but was not held there b/c Chesapeake is necessarily gay -friendlier; it's just logistics. The so-called "marriage -amendment" to the VA constitution which passed in 2006 defining marriage between one man & one woman, passed by only 57% of the statewide vote (pretty good considering) and was actually DEFEATED in the cities of Williamsburg and Norfolk.

I think employment opportunities could be better here, but are pretty good for government or defense -related business. We do have a number of large companies (in other segments) who offer domestic partner benefits. As I have found, the LGBTQ folks moving into the area are usually skilled or educated in the right arenas to do very well here.

Overall, if you like the water, history, culture and a friendly "small town" feel with the resources of a large metro area, I would pick Hampton Roads. You will not regret it.
You said it well. There aren't specific "gay" areas in Hampton Roads where all gay men and lesbians congregate. Gay people are everywhere! I, personally, love and accept gay people and I think nothing of it. I do think Hampton Roads is a mixed bag of people who accept it and people who hate it. But that is EVERYWHERE.

OG Poster:
There are many nice places in the area to live (as mentioned). Personally, I think Ghent is the best part of Hampton Roads so I would look there if it's in your price range. It really is central to SO many things. BUT, as mentioned previously, there are a number of gay communities and organizations in the area. I agree that maybe asking one of them for advice may be the best route!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,448,259 times
Hampton Roads in my opinion is very gay friendly and I don't quite understand why anyone would think anything different. There are alot good people in this community and personally, it doesn't matter to me what their sexual orientation is. I've been in fox holes with them, on ships with them and I have respect for them. The reason from what I understand about the gay pride picnic being held in Chesapeake, is because most city parks do not allow alcohol, let alone sales of it and there had to be a change of venue to accommodate the amount of people as Lakewood Park is quite small and over the years, the crowds grew. You dont' have to be gay to attend gay pride functions, many people here support them. The church's support them (except the Baptists, but that's a whole other story). United Church of Christ is very gay friendly and when we bring in the homeless during the cold winter months, we could care less what they are, they are homeless and need our help.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,032 times
As far as the peninsula, gays arent common. I myself have never known or seen a gay couple in Newport News for my own eyes. So I assume Norfolk would be your best bet.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 PM

162 posts, read 657,705 times
I don't swing that way myself; however, from what I've seen in other cities compared to Hampton Roads, it's very non-gay friendly. Lots and lots and lots of Bible thumpers here like another poster said.

I know there's some zealot who stands outside some abortion clinic in Norfolk waving signs and preaching. They had a big article about him in the paper last year. Forget his name. Anyway, my point is you can just imagine how they would receive a gay person.

I would probably stick towards a more progressive area if I were you. Hampton Roads is stuck in the past in many ways, this being one.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 42,946 times
I'm a lesbian living in Virginia and my partner and I are thrilled to be leaving. It is not a friendly area for gay people, and Virginia's laws are very hostile. A recent law passed makes it possible for power of attorney documents between same-sex partners to be nullified if they feel it suggests a "marriage like relationship". I attend an Episcopal Church that is very friendly to gays, but it is one among a small few.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

162 posts, read 657,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjabernathy View Post
I'm a lesbian living in Virginia and my partner and I are thrilled to be leaving. It is not a friendly area for gay people, and Virginia's laws are very hostile. A recent law passed makes it possible for power of attorney documents between same-sex partners to be nullified if they feel it suggests a "marriage like relationship". I attend an Episcopal Church that is very friendly to gays, but it is one among a small few.
I'm sorry. It's a shame people can't be treated equally. Even if you don't like certain people (and I think we all have certain personalities we dislike) it's so wrong to deny them basic human rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area