U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,533 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been reading through these threads a lot thanks a lot for everyone's posts. I know this is not a popular commute (any daily commute crossing tunnels in Hampton Roads is dumb... I know)--but I'm pretty sure I want to live in VA Beach while working in Newport News.

To give context I somewhat know what I'm doing...kind of: I'm not a newbie to this route but I'm not a veteran either. I traveled back and forth from Richmond to Suffolk for a couple years due to long-distance relationship. I've been to VA Beach about a million times visiting from northern VA via 64 and also from Suffolk. My significant other actually did the commute daily from Suffolk to Newport News (usually James River bridge, sometimes that Monitor miramac bridge as needed--she said averaged 30 mins commute time with about twice a year it being awful like 1.5-2hrs) and then also from Suffolk to Williamsburg (taking the ferry almost 45 mins).

I know VA Beach to Newport News is worse than all of these due to Hampton Roads Tunnel bridge/64 and I am taking my time finalizing my decision.

Here's the situation: we're both young and want to use this as fun beach time and will only be there for a job for 12 months--and half the time I may be working from home!!!!

So really--it is 6 months of making the dreaded commute. I'm thinking it may be worth it to just bite the bullet and do the commute--I love VA beach and don't love NN. Also my commute times will be a lot of the time be on the very early side (5-6am). I know people that got fed up with this commute after a few months and then relocated (none of whom I'm in contact with now to get further details)...but we'd only be doing this for a few months. I will be working pretty hard though during the 6 months so giving up 2 hrs a day roundtrip to commuting is kind of annoying but I think that won't be too bad.

I've been googling the travel time at various hours of the day (including rush hour of course) and it really seems like at least half the time it will be a 45 min commute from VA Beach to NN even heading out as late as at 6am. Like today on a Friday was pretty clear 45mins... (I also double check with local Hampton Roads radio traffic report) and I do trust google travel times at different hours of day (though maybe I shouldn't for this route, but I've done tons of travelling relying on it). I guess the other half of the time there may be traffic--and it may take 1 hr to 1:15--according to Google.

But I keep hearing this is a nightmare commute more like an hour half the time and the other half the time 2 hours. I don't think I can deal with half the time it taking 2 hours but Google so far hasn't suggested this would be the case. I know during summer beach traffic and stuff makes it considerably worse...

So do you think this is a 45min-1:15 commute 90% of the time? Or only half the time... and the other half its 2-2.5 hrs? I'd be living in center of VA beach and working in center of NN--just typing in the city names on Google maps gets me right at where I'd be within the cities.

I feel like if we live in NN we won't go to the beach too often (who wants to drive 45mins to the beach all the time?) and just won't as a fun/romantic/carefree time during our leisure time which we'll have plenty of half the year if we live in City Center NN (our other option we're considering).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM

BTW I really love VA Beach because I love the ocean--the real ocean with big waves--would be a dream to live right there for a year!! I know there is water/beach spread throughout Hampton Roads (buckroe, I've even been to Gloucester's beach!) but VA Beach would be really cool for me. Just wanted to clarify I'm not just interested because I have a touristy attitude--I am an ocean/outdoors lover.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

**Correction: Suffolk to Williamsburg via ferry was 1.5 hours--not 45mins.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 9,321,165 times
From the ocean front to NN would be at least an hour each way on a good day. From the Indian River rd exit to Hampton is 30-45 minutes on a good day, and from Lynnhaven to Hampton is at least 45 minutes on a good day.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 PM

419 posts, read 807,755 times
I commute from Norfolk to NN every day when I am working contracts in NN. I drive Monday to Thursday and then head west from NN. Monday through Thursday AM commute is rarely- like once in the last four years more than 40 minutes and usually 30 give or take 5 minutes. Coming back between 430 and 630 the east bound traffic often backs up but if you know how to use the local roads to get to the Mallory street ramp it usually takes less than 40 minutes but does sometimes take and hour. I only go to Norfolk in the norview area so you would need to add time to get to VB. That can and seems to frequently get jammed up but I cannot speak to it as I am off the roads before that point.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM

18 posts, read 46,819 times
I commuted from Virginia Beach (near Mount Trashmore) to Newport News near City Center for about seven months. Morning commute wasn't too bad, especially if I could get going after 8am so I could use the HOV lanes on 64. Took about an hour. Going home was a little worse but the traffic going the other way was heavier. Took about 90 minutes to get home. Only jams were approaching the HRBT and the 64/264 interchange. I didn't know anything about taking local roads but would sometimes take the (longer) Monitor Merrimack route if 1680 AM made that sound better. Made sure I had a good radio station (24 hour comedy on AM 850!) and didn't sweat it if things were slow.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 AM

41 posts, read 71,017 times
It depends on where you live in VB and if your close to 264 or to 13 --> 64. I don't blame you...I would live in VB, hands down also. If you have the option of flexing your schedule a bit, that will also help so you're not driving during rush hour. It's extremely unpredictable...I've flown through traffic during rush hour and been stuck in traffic in the middle of the day. Even with that said, I'd still make the commute from VB. Just make sure you live close to either 264 or Northampton so you can easily access 64.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area