U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 PM

20 posts, read 48,091 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I are looking to move to VA... suffolk/chesapeake/norfolk area!
We are looking for a better lifestyle for our children and NY does not offer that! Taxes are 10K plus and laws are so insane!
We live in Long island and like that beach feel area... we live near the bay and like to be able to go fishing or just walk around the water and beach!!

So my BIG question is... How is the quality of life in this part of VA??
I know that things are always different for different ppl but I want my children to grown up in a place were things arent shoved down your throat... i do not like the public school system here and what they teach and the cost of private school is insane!

Its heartbreaking for me to move but we had enough... my mother will be joining us and hopefully my husbands father will join!! Family is very important and we are choosing to move away from some of our family but we have to do make a change for our kids.

I am ranting but i want you to get a feel of me and my family!

Things to take in considerations when answering "the quality of life" question~
We are Conservative, practicing Catholics, we both work from home so jobs arent a concern, we have 1 child #2 on the way and plan on having (God willing) at least 2 more... (4 in total)

Any specific areas, towns, etc you recommend ... we want to be a part of a community and get involved!! make friends and enjoy life!

Thanks in advance for your advice!! i know there are many of forum but all situations are different.

PS home prices we are looking for is 250-320k so if areas only sell for 400k plus not for us lol!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 AM

2,031 posts, read 6,485,630 times
My relatives live in the Nansemond River Golf Club area. It is a beautiful part of Suffolk. It is not too far from
the Chesapeake Mall which has many restaurants, entertainment, etc. When I visit that area I think the ocean is not too far away, but Va Beach is over an hour in heavy traffic. You will not feel alone moving to that area, there are many ex-NY'ers in Hampton Roads. The schools are good from what I have heard. Your price point on housing should buy a very nice home, compared to NY. Good Luck in your move!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 AM

179 posts, read 455,132 times
You will be able to find homes in that price range in Chesapeake. The Grassfield, Great Bridge, Hickory areas are considered best in terms of schools. Most areas though are very safe and family friendly. Chesapeake is more of a burb/rural area, so parts have a very country feel while others are nice established neighborhoods.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 PM

368 posts, read 916,888 times
I'm also originally from NY (upstate). My family and I have been living in Hampton Roads for almost four years now and we like it. Here are my answers to a few things you mentioned in your post:

Taxes: Taxes here are lower than in NY, but you'll find little unexpected things that offset that. We pay a car tax here that I never encountered in NY. Also, I've found that my friends who have kids in school spend a (comparably) exorbitant amount on school supplies. Housing prices in Hampton Roads are a little more than you would expect--comparable to upstate NY, but probably lower than LI.

Schooling: I'm not sure what you object to them teaching in NY public schools, but I would expect they are largely teaching the same things here. Because of federal curriculum standards, there just isn't that much wiggle room from state to state. If you moved somewhere in the "deep south" you might find a little more resistance to sex education, evolution, etc. but Hampton Roads is (educationally) largely secular and the schools will probably be very similar to what you're finding in NY. It is, however, much easier to homeschool in VA than it is in NY. If that's something you're amenable to, you will definitely find the requirements looser here than in NY.

Religion: You will find many people in Hampton Roads are more open about religion than in NY. This is one of the few things that we dislike about the area, but, as a conservative Catholic, you might find it pleasing. Many people are members of a church and will speak openly about their beliefs. The thing we do like about that is that it makes it lovely for us non-believers to shop on Sunday mornings.

Weather: Even though you didn't mention it, we think the weather here is wonderful. The winters are mild and it's much brighter here all year round than in NY. As a NYer, you're used to humidity (which you will get in droves June-Aug.). The summertime temperatures can reach over 100 degrees, and it can be oppressive at times, but there are also days when the temps are much lower. The spring and fall here are lovely. There are days I'll talk to my mother (who still lives upstate)--NY will be in the middle of an ice storm while my kids are outside playing in the backyard--in shorts.

You should definitely visit before you make any rash decisions. Overall, I think you will like Hampton Roads, but please don't think it will be significantly different from NY. The people are a little friendlier, the pace is a little slower, the traffic is a little lighter, the shopping is a little worse (the pizza is a lot worse), but, really, except for the weather, it really isn't that much different at all.

Best of luck!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,194,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo View Post
Hello my husband and I are looking to move to VA... suffolk/chesapeake/norfolk area!
We are looking for a better lifestyle for our children and NY does not offer that! Taxes are 10K plus and laws are so insane!
We live in Long island and like that beach feel area... we live near the bay and like to be able to go fishing or just walk around the water and beach!!

So my BIG question is... How is the quality of life in this part of VA??
I know that things are always different for different ppl but I want my children to grown up in a place were things arent shoved down your throat... i do not like the public school system here and what they teach and the cost of private school is insane!

Its heartbreaking for me to move but we had enough... my mother will be joining us and hopefully my husbands father will join!! Family is very important and we are choosing to move away from some of our family but we have to do make a change for our kids.

I am ranting but i want you to get a feel of me and my family!

Things to take in considerations when answering "the quality of life" question~
We are Conservative, practicing Catholics, we both work from home so jobs arent a concern, we have 1 child #2 on the way and plan on having (God willing) at least 2 more... (4 in total)

Any specific areas, towns, etc you recommend ... we want to be a part of a community and get involved!! make friends and enjoy life!

Thanks in advance for your advice!! i know there are many of forum but all situations are different.

PS home prices we are looking for is 250-320k so if areas only sell for 400k plus not for us lol!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!
There are a lot of people in the area from NY, NJ, Northeast in general as well as Midwest, etc. You may not find it to be any different from NY; obviously cheaper, but still expensive with respect to income. Not as dramatic of a difference between rich and poor as you find in other Metro areas, with respect to income, but it is still there.

The price range you mention will work here. Sure there are more expensive properties than your target range, but it should work here and in Richmond. Northern Virginia I'm not so sure.

The area is conservative in my honest opinion. As another poster mentioned, that doesn't mean it is not secular, and it doesn't mean you do not have liberals, but it seems conservative.

When you say a "better lifestyle" are you referring to what it might cost to put your kids in activities or the idea that NYC can be more of an adult lifestyle and not as family friendly. It sounds as though you're looking for a parochial school that won't teach secularism; not sure what that will cost here or if it will be any cheaper than NYC but you can find that in every state you don't necessarily have to move all the way to Virginia if that is your primary reason for being here. I mean, you could move to Ohio and not like what they teach in public schools as well, and their private/parochial schools would be a lot cheaper than they are in NYC.

This is a different pace than you'll find in NYC, a lot slower perhaps not as materialistic, or fashion obsessed, not the same nightlife, etc. if that is what you're looking for this is probably the right place, though any area of Virginia should do.

Suffolk, Chesapeake, and Norfolk are dramatically different areas. Suffolk is primarily a rural area, prices are low, and the urbanized area is the Northern region of the city. Chesapeake is primarily a suburban area, prices are going to be higher than they are in Norfolk, and the urbanized region is the Northern region of that city as well. Norfolk is primarily an urban area, and is land locked, so there are no suburban or rural areas. You may find that the Northern, "urban" parts of Suffolk are suburban with respect to what you're used to in NYC, or even by Chesapeake and Norfolk standards. Likewise, what is considered to be urban here, in Norfolk, might be suburban or exurban by NYC standards.

I only mention this because a lot of people from NYC come here, and then complain that the area is "country" in comparison to where they're from. Things change dramatically on the other side of Washington DC. I don't mind, but then again I'm from Ohio and what I think is urban is a lot different than it is to someone from the Northeast. I don't need tall buildings, etc. like someone from the Northeast might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area