U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:29 PM

14 posts, read 26,390 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a home in Hampton roads and are unable to get insurance coverage through standard insurers due to the wind risk. We have received similar quotes from multiple surplus lines companies but I can't find much information about them online as far as reviews.

Anyone use any of these companies and if so have they treated you fairly? Any issues with any of them?:
North Light Specialty Insurance
Allrisks (BBB rates an A+)
Johnson & Johnson
Coastal Agents Alliance (BBB rates an A+)

Thanks for any information you can provide!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:28 PM

6,110 posts, read 9,391,849 times
You're the first person I've ever heard of not being able to get homeowners insurance coverage through a 'standard" company. We have USAA, but I know people with State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, and Nationwide. Where exactly do you live? Most people need flood insurance, but I've never heard anything about wind issues.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:42 PM

It is strange! Ironically the property is not in a flood zone and flood insurance is only $10 a month!! I contacted all the companies you listed and was told the same thing. The property is within 2400 feet of the coast and therefore it is a high wind risk property. We have our current insurance with USAA, I hate to switch companies but alas....the price you pay to live closer to the ocean.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,767,728 times
This is on the Surplus Line Ass'n of Illinois website, but I found in helpful in understanding a "surplus line" of insurance.

FAQ: What is Surplus Line Insurance?

This is the regulatory webpage for the Virginia State Corporation Commission regarding surplus line brokers:

Virginia SCC - Bureau of Insurance

I suspect you can find court opinions detailing abusive, bad faith conduct involving most insurance companies with respect to their insureds/customers. My observation is that these cases often boil down to the individuals employed by the insurance company. If you get a bad adjuster or other insurance company employee involved in your claim, no matter how good the company's reputation is, you're screwed and in for a battle over your claim.

Good luck getting insurance.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 AM

Thank you for the information!!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM

13,477 posts, read 12,613,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You're the first person I've ever heard of not being able to get homeowners insurance coverage through a 'standard" company. We have USAA, but I know people with State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, and Nationwide. Where exactly do you live? Most people need flood insurance, but I've never heard anything about wind issues.
Maybe this is an industry change since Sandy's Winds were the cause of most of the damages. I would think the OP's realtor could give clarification on this.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,767,728 times
VA Yankee, I think you are correct. If you do a Google search on surplus lines + Hurricane Sandy, you'll come up with many articles on the insurance industry.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM

15 posts, read 28,365 times
It looks like we are running into this same issue as the OP.

Trying to get insurance on a home that is a brick rancher in a neighborhood that is approx. 1500' off the Chesapeake Bay.

So far State Farm said no and Progressive said no (online). Next shot is Nationwide. It's pretty silly if you ask me. The home isn't in a flood zone and it's on the highest elevation of the entire city... guess the wind is the big issue.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Hybrid AWD we ended up finding a policy. We actually got a list of companies from our mortgage company and decided to go with a policy given to us by Prosper Insurance Group on Central Park Ave in VA Beach. The contact is Ashley Latimer at 757.248.5973 if you are interested. She came highly recommended and she was really helpful! Good luck!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 PM

6,110 posts, read 9,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
It looks like we are running into this same issue as the OP.

Trying to get insurance on a home that is a brick rancher in a neighborhood that is approx. 1500' off the Chesapeake Bay.

So far State Farm said no and Progressive said no (online). Next shot is Nationwide. It's pretty silly if you ask me. The home isn't in a flood zone and it's on the highest elevation of the entire city... guess the wind is the big issue.
How is this possible if it is within 1500 feet of the coast? Where is it? What's the elevation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area