U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Um, Norfolk is only 43% black. There are actually more white people (47%) than black people in Norfolk.

That being said, this is a diverse area. There may be a little culture shock to you but it won't be an issue if you are open minded. This is a great area (other than traffic, and the lack of a diversified economy.) By all means try it out.
. That was wrong so I changed it on wikipedia where you got it from.The real information is,
As of the census[1] of 2010, there were 242,803 people, 86,210 households, and 51,898 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,362.8 people per square mile (1,684.4/km²). There were 94,416 housing units at an average density of 1,757.3 per square mile (678.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 27.1% White, 63.1% African American, 0.5% Native American, 3.3% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander.
So I was wrong to by 20%,But the fact of the matter is all the reverse racism in this contry has gone to most black peoples heads.Just think next time you feel superior but say your equal, ask yourself, Do i own a house,Exteremly sucessful buisness,Do I have retirement money,Do I own a car,Do I have to many kids,Can and will my descendants survive,Do I help my community or lack the funds to help. do I breed like crazy with more than half my kids dying by 30,Dose my job make the country money or do I work in the service industry.Is walmart my favorite store.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 5,427,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfaithful View Post
. That was wrong so I changed it on wikipedia where you got it from.The real information is,
As of the census[1] of 2010, there were 242,803 people, 86,210 households, and 51,898 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,362.8 people per square mile (1,684.4/km²). There were 94,416 housing units at an average density of 1,757.3 per square mile (678.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 27.1% White, 63.1% African American, 0.5% Native American, 3.3% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander.
So I was wrong to by 20%,But the fact of the matter is all the reverse racism in this contry has gone to most black peoples heads.Just think next time you feel superior but say your equal, ask yourself, Do i own a house,Exteremly sucessful buisness,Do I have retirement money,Do I own a car,Do I have to many kids,Can and will my descendants survive,Do I help my community or lack the funds to help. do I breed like crazy with more than half my kids dying by 30,Dose my job make the country money or do I work in the service industry.Is walmart my favorite store.
Aside from your extremely racist comments (which I'm not going to acknowledge any further), you are still wrong about the racial makeup of Norfolk.

You say you got your info from the 2010 Census, which is interesting because this (the 2010 Census that I saw and study) says White: 47.1%, Black: 43.1%.

American FactFinder - Results *

Old 11-19-2015, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 388 times
Ok throw out the statistics... they don't matter. Regardless of the dominant 'race' here... there is still MUCH reverse racism here in Norfolk. Im also a young white female and regardless of my efforts to treat everyone with the utmost respect regardless of race I still get **** ON by a large number of black people. I avoid most of the Wal-Mart's, convenience stores and gas stations here in Norfolk cause chances are every time Ill get put down and have racist comments and attitudes directed towards me. I feel the problem is that black people automatically assume that since i am white I am privileged. Thats where theyre wrong. I came from nothing just like a lot of people do and through ambition, perseverance and complete independence I have built a successful life for myself. JUST LIKE ANYBODY ELSE COULD DO REGARDLESS OF RACE COULD DO IF THEY TRIED. When people assume that things are handed to me and look down on me partially because of it really irks me.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,410,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangesOranges View Post
Ok throw out the statistics... they don't matter. Regardless of the dominant 'race' here... there is still MUCH reverse racism here in Norfolk. Im also a young white female and regardless of my efforts to treat everyone with the utmost respect regardless of race I still get **** ON by a large number of black people. I avoid most of the Wal-Mart's, convenience stores and gas stations here in Norfolk cause chances are every time Ill get put down and have racist comments and attitudes directed towards me. I feel the problem is that black people automatically assume that since i am white I am privileged. Thats where theyre wrong. I came from nothing just like a lot of people do and through ambition, perseverance and complete independence I have built a successful life for myself. JUST LIKE ANYBODY ELSE COULD DO REGARDLESS OF RACE COULD DO IF THEY TRIED. When people assume that things are handed to me and look down on me partially because of it really irks me.
Well, this thread is quite old, but there's no doubt racism from all races in Hampton Roads is alive and well. The big "we're integrated and friendly!" piece is a crock.

It would be nice if the OP came back and told us what ended up happening.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:35 PM

979 posts, read 1,574,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangesOranges View Post
While I understand what you're saying, I think you have a fundamental lack of understanding of "white privilege."

Regardless, I do wish people of all races, backgrounds, etc., would treat others with respect. As a young(ish) white female as well, I can say I've not personally experienced any issues in this area (despite frequently visiting Walmarts and gas stations).

And I have to ask...did you go digging through years-old posts just to find one where you could bring up racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area